OK, but Glory is criminally underrated

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, nah. Within the fanbase, her earlier works (particularly the Oops!...I Did It Again album, the ...Baby One More Time outtakes, and the Britney album aside from the singles which are mostly appreciated) are easily the most underrated. Glory gets the love it deserves with most considering it a part of Britney's holy trinity of works. :groovin_dance_clap_alien_monster_party_costume_Halloween_spooky_scary:

I really think it was the Make Me video fiasco that stalled any momentum the song had and in turn the album.  Britney is a visual artist and the video didn't have that rewatch factor.  IMO, the video was such a non-event and ruined an important connection with the song to drive consistent interest in the album campaign.  I had watched the video once and was annoyed that is what they went with.  After that I just streamed the audio on youtube.  I have rewatched it since, but sparingly.

The VMA performance was blah for her standards, but promoted the song to a wider audience and it shot back up the itunes charts.  That proves there is still an interest in Britney, but nothing came after that to hold the GP's attention.

Slumber Party came out too late to have any real impact and she desperately needed an uptempo song to get people into the album, instead of two slow songs back to back which Britney never did before.

Also, she did more promo for this album, but her and MTV went so well together in the past, that anytime she did something or released music, she was on MTV all the time.  MTV is a shadow of what it was, but she could have partnered with them again for interviews and performances and album related specials.

Also, streaming is a big factor in today's market, but not everyone is into streaming and prefer physical albums (which I do, but I still stream), and so she does not get anywhere near the level of streams other artists do.  A factor in that is I think the age of Britney fans vary and some more seasoned fans were slow to adapting to streaming.  I think over the past few years us fans have gotten more into streaming and I hope the next album gets even better streams to help it on the charts.

With all the rambling said, I think it is underrated, too :carpoolney_dance_karaoke_glory_sunglasses_party_raise_roof:

The promotion sucked, Vegas got in the way, There was more promo in the UK than her native US..

She could have easily gone gold, had they issued Clumsy. 

When that promo single dropped the gay clubs played it more than the reggae tinged Slumber party. 

She had two big club hits with Clumsy and Do you wanna come over? And nothing happened.

I feel both Britney and RCA gave up when Slumber party flopped on the hot 100 (I blame partly into no interest from the public in Tinashe).

Had it been Nicki or someone else, it would have been huge, But Tinashe has a small fan base, that didn't help expose her more. 

5 hours ago, HairFullOfSecrets said:
Tbh, it's amazing that Britney said that it's one of the few things she managed to have some control over during the conservatorship

Emphasis on SOME control. Glory she definitely had the most control, you can really feel her presence in the album. Britney Jean and Femme Fatale, not so much. Circus, a little bit. 

As for it being underrated, I don't think that's true - at least for her fan base. It got a resurgence of love in 2020, I honestly think it's a little over hyped, if you ask me... 

I think Glory was a good album. It’s definitely been the best album we’ve had from her in a long time.

However I don’t know why for me it just misses something. I think the production is bad on certain songs. She sounds like Bart Simpson in Liar and there’s a weird flanger effect on Invitation which bugs the life out of me. Slumber Party, Man On The Moon, If I’m Dancing, MM are very strong structured with really good production. 

Mood Ring should have been on the original album and Swimming With The Stars is a great song too but again the production for me is a bit off. I love Exaholic it’s a bop :kfed_kevin_federline_popozao_jamming_dancing:

what's cool is that people are finding it now. as it's her "newest" album and bc of all the fuss about the new cover, new extra songs etc..

& the production pretty much sums up that late 2010s sound.. but it's Britney so it's inherently better than any of those other radio songs at the time. I feel like it's going to be remembered as standout album from that era of pop.

for me it's almost a perfect album except for the way her voice was pitched/mixed in some of the songs as someone above mentioned. but it still feels like a Britney album and has the weird "artsy fartsy" moments that make it great.

it's not in my trinity but it's my number 4 spot for sure :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

It's a great album (even better now that they remastered all the tracks on the Deluxe version, so you can actually hear the small details now on Spotify).

She did lots of promo for the initial launch, but her label did not do their part with marketing in stores, web ads, social media ads, and high-traffic public areas like they do with their younger artists.

But as the others in this thread mentioned... something feels off about it, like something is missing. I think because they didn't continue promoting the era after Slaymber Party, and they were focusing more on her 'greatest hits', it kind of killed the vibe. The Deluxe re-launch would have been the perfect time to properly reignite the era, but she's on protest for recording new videos and only allowed existing music to be released.

But strictly music-speaking, I think vocally it's the best she's sounded (on most of the tracks), but the inconsistency with the editing of her voice ruins it a bit. The EP is supposed to ensure it sounds consistent throughout, and I feel like they didn't do that in certain tracks. I also think the other issue is there was a lot of mid-tempo songs, and not her usual variety of club-banger/ballad/mid-tempo mix.  But regardless, the 2020 Deluxe version is still one of her best albums, but it still doesn't top her iconic trio ITZ/Blackout/Britney albums.

Glory is one of her best albums to date.  Excellent vocals, huge step up from that whole Myah Jean fiasco.  Her vocals sound confident and clear and were generally very solid. 

The songs were great as well, very upbeat and lots of bops.  I listen to it religiously, its just a very solid body of work through and through. Even the unreleased material was excellent.  Hope our fave records a follow up soon!:tiffanynod_miss_ms_ny_new_york_yes_yas_nodding_agree:

Archived