What Do You Think This Generation Will Miss In Music That We’ve Had?

I think the lack of ”radio hits.” 

Music has flipped upside down for the last six years. Just defining the term "radio-friendly” - it follows a certain pattern in producing music. Producers and artists used to try to have those “hooks” and “catchy” lyricism sealed in songs. Some might sound redundant or generic but the idea of trying to appeal in general public secures the “single-worthy” dynamic of the songs.

These days, the productions are becoming more complex, as the sense of “radio-friendly” dynamics are gradually being less to meet the criteria of streaming platforms. That’s why most songs are shorter, blander, trap-py and monotonous. They are no longer trying to appeal in general public thru a frequency broadcast, but to certain groups that follow the trends.

What y’all think?trends.jpg.e1e1c56319bd070cbd458c99f507ccbf.jpg

• Like 7

I personally think this is also the reason why Katy is flopping. Streaming is not her forte, and without the huge support from radio stations, her points on charts are limited. Not to mention radio plays on Billboard isn’t a great point gainer these days compare to free and paid streams. She needs Justin Pimple’s promotions to secure a Top 10 hit on charts. :katycream_perry_witness_nod_yes:

• Like 5
46 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

I think artists are less concerned with radio friendly and more about streaming friendly, hence why songs are 2-minutes long now. More streams!

Because the Internet is available to everyone, anyone can upload their song - which has created a really over-saturated market with tons of competition. That means legit great songs aren't being heard because there's so much to compete with. It also means anyone can empower themselves though.

I think the newer generation is missing "iconic" artists, songs and moments. Maybe it's just cause I'm old now lol. 

But because we came from pre social media era. The world as whole dramatically changed and fast after 2010.

• Like 1

Tbh I love music and different genres and I remember being young and catching up on music of the 50’s/60’s/70’s and 80’s. And early 90’s. I was born in 1990 and had a lot of older siblings and my parents loved music so I enjoyed this and had lots of exposure to great music. I feel like with some digging and a bit of time, I really was able to delve into the history of a lot of different genres and appreciate a lot of icons! 

I think kids today have to now go back and delve into all that PLUS 2000’s, 2010’s and 2020’s??!? That’s a lot of damn work! Lol and with streaming it’s easier for sure but also there’s less excitement of buying a record or a CD... I feel like some of the “magic” and our special relationship with music has been taken out with streaming. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Vocal Skills... cough cough Selena Gomez who whispers her loudest into a turned off microphone. I know there has been artist who didn’t have the strongest vocals but knew how to use it! 

tenor.gif?itemid=16382626

Dance videos - back in the 90’s/00’s you would see Janet, Britney, Michael, Christina, Madonna have dance sequences/breaks and that would good to see. I feel like this Generation will only have hand movement/TikTok dances 

vOBApA.gif

big budget video, I don’t see a record label dropping $500,000+ On a music video. The artist will get luck if they get $20 and a bus pass for a video. 
tumblr_nk3jnpj20s1rmazeio9_250.gifv

• Love 6
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

What did I just read :jackk_alien:

Like out of all the thousands of talented musical artists out there, the only two you could think of were Lizzo and Ariana...i- :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile:

I specifically said current artist, as in those that have attained success recently, because the OP said "this generation". Like, I can't think of any other mainstream artists who've debuted in the last decade who excel at either playing instruments or who have particularly good vocals.

And don't y'all start mentioning indie artists that nobody outside of Soundcloud has heard of. 

• Like 1

Personally, I think their appreciation for music is much smaller than it used to be. With streaming services and social media, everything is so NEW NEXT NOW that there is no real forced time for the audience to actually spend time with each album or song to soak it up. 

• Love 1

Artists don't seem to really care anymore at all. Looking back 20 or 15 years ago, artists would be excited and competing on the press circuits, red carpets, giving their all in performances. Now it's almost cool to 'not care' and to have zero energy on stage and not bother with press. There's no real hype other than what artists rely on their fans building online for them. 

• Love 1
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, Stefani said:

I specifically said current artist, as in those that have attained success recently, because the OP said "this generation". Like, I can't think of any other mainstream artists who've debuted in the last decade who excel at either playing instruments or who have particularly good vocals.

And don't y'all start mentioning indie artists that nobody outside of Soundcloud has heard of. 

Well obviously we’re talking current and know you meant that. If we’re talking mainstream, I’d argue and say artists (off the top of my head) like The Weeknd, Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole, Lana Del Rey, Charlie Puth, Tori Kelly, Anderson Paak, Childish Gambino, Lorde, Jack Antonoff, Finneas/Billie Eilish, SZA, H.E.R., Kacey Musgraves, Post Malone, Mac Miller, Jack Harlow, Ed Sheeran, Big Sean, etc. are all very talented in their respective genres and of which their debut albums were released within the last 10 years. Doesn’t mean I like all of these artists in particular but let’s not be so closed-minded. Every generation has its share of talented and ‘not-so talented’ artists.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block