House Republicans are demanding fellow Republicans and Democrats to hold hearings on conservatorship abuse, citing Britney's case as an example

House Republicans Jim Jordan of Ohio and Matt Gaetz of Florida are urging the House Judiciary Committee to hold a hearing to review whether Americans are trapped unfairly in these types of arrangements.

They cite Britney's conservatorship case as an example. 

The American Civil Liberties Union says that conservatorships should be viewed with skepticism and used as a last resort. Jordan and Gaetz say there are countless Americans trapped in these arrangements with little recourse, unable to manage their own affairs or make decisions about their finances.

“The House Committee on the Judiciary is charged with safeguarding the rights affording to Americans by the U.S. Constitution. These rights include having the free will to guide one’s own affairs and the legal autonomy over one’s own finances. When situations suggest the unjust deprivation of those rights by the government, we have an obligation to conduct oversight and explore potential remedies,” the letter states.

“In recent years, there has been growing public concern about the use of conservatorships to effectively deprive individuals of personal freedoms at the behest of others through the manipulation of the courts,” the letter, submitted on Mar. 8, continues.

“The most striking example is perhaps the case of multi-platinum performing artist Britney Spears,” Gaetz and Jordan write.

“The facts and circumstancing giving rise to this arrangement remain in dispute but involve questionable motives and legal tactics by her father and now-conservator, Jamie Spears,” the letter says, later stating that despite the musician’s “pleas,” her father remains a conservator of her estate.

“It’s no secret that my client does not want her father as co-conservator, but we recognize that removal is a separate issue,” the singer’s attorney said, addressing the court, at a hearing last month.

In the letter, Gaetz writes, “Ms. Spears is not alone…Given the constitutional freedoms at stake and opaqueness of these arrangements, it is incumbent upon our Committee to convene a hearing to examine whether Americans are trapped unjustly in conservatorships.”

EwEBBlGWQAMcjJq?format=jpg&name=large

EwEBBk-XEAE0A8b?format=jpg&name=large

PLEASE GODNEY MAKE ONE OF THESE THINGS ACTUALLY WORK FOR ONCE IN BRITNEY'S FAVOR :crying3_britney_sobbing_tears_sad:

britney-spears_los-angeles-premiere-of-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood_2019-1800x1200-2.jpg

4 minutes ago, danny1994 said:

I mean I’ll take any help we can get, but I question their intentions. Maybe trying to woo over young people?

People were saying it was the rumour Britney can be forced to abort under a cship that made them that worried about her case...