2008 article about a reporter Jamie threatned with a knife in 2002 spilled a lot of tea about the isolation, pressure and anxiety Britney felt since the beginning of the conservatorship

He was the domineering man who subjected this writer to a hostile drunken monologue... now a court has given him stifling control of his daughter's life - and it's driving her crazy

Her recent appearance on X Factor during a whirlwind trip to London drew a record audience for the show.

The man credited as the architect of one of  pop music’s most extraordinary comebacks  is none other than Britney’s father, Jamie.

The 56-year-old former builder, who is divorced  from Britney’s mother Lynne, was granted control over the star’s business affairs and appointed her ‘conservator’ – the equivalent of a child’s guardian for an adult – at a court hearing last February, shortly after her discharge from hospital.

This effectively handed Spears control over his daughter’s life and there is no doubt he takes the role seriously. His first act was to cut her off from an aide who was allegedly plying his daughter with pills. He ordered a halt to the spending sprees that were draining Britney’s fortune and made sure she kept away from the sleazy clubs and hangers-on who could drag her back to her old self-destructive habits.

Yet something about her performance on X Factor – she lip-synched badly, danced unconvincingly and appeared stunned when asked about the relative merits of the contestants – suggests that all is not quite as it seems.

Insiders on her mini-tour of Germany, France and Britain revealed that the star lives in a bubble designed to maximise her potential as a money-making machine as well as physically separate her from all temptation – whether that be *****, alcohol, junk food or men.

But Britney’s friends are worried that the regime imposed by her father does little for her fragile state of mind. They say that in private she confesses to feeling pressurised to perform, frequently dissolves in tears and has a volatile love-hate relationship with her father.

They also question whether Jamie Spears, a former bankrupt and recovering alcoholic whose only business experience is a failed building company is a suitable person to exercise such iron control over a very vulnerable young woman.

Certainly the Spears I met seven years ago at his isolated bungalow on a dirt road in rural Kentwood, Louisiana, didn’t seem the most sensitive of souls. In a terrifying encounter that lasted four hours, Britney’s father subjected me to a hostile drunken monologue while refusing to let me leave.

Every time I got up to go, he picked up a large carving knife and theatrically stabbed it into the wooden table at which we were sitting.

‘You can sleep here,’ he said. ‘You said you wanted to know what it was like being Britney.’

Two growling alsatians, a rottweiler and a man  Spears claimed was a ‘bodyguard’ prowled the creaky back porch, which had been converted into a makeshift redneck bar complete with illuminated Budweiser sign, beer and whisky. An airgun lay in front of Spears.

He had been drinking heavily and was chewing Kodiak tobacco and showed me round the little house where Britney grew up while his ‘bodyguard’ cooked a huge iron pan of crayfish outside on a camping stove.

Surprisingly, the inside of  the house was immaculate, almost as though no one lived there. It was also a rather spooky shrine to his famous daughter, with framed pictures, magazine covers, platinum records, concert posters and even used ticket stubs covering almost every available inch of space.

article-1092519-02B7C19D000005DC-832_233

Spears told me: ‘There’s not a man on earth could be happier than me. I have got the most famous daughter in the world.’ But he admitted: ‘I squandered my money on wild women and beer.

‘Britney is focused. She’s been a star since birth. I still build but I do it when I feel like it.’

Spears then attempted to give me a drunken hug. He confided that he was all but broke, but added that Britney had bought him the smart white pick-up truck parked outside and had bought his wife Lynne, from whom he was then estranged, a Mercedes.

My bizarre encounter with the man who controls a pop empire took place in March 2002. Britney was still a fresh-faced 20-year-old but already a pop phenomenon.

I finally managed to escape after Jamie and his ‘bodyguard’ es***ted me to a local bar, where he said they needed to buy more beer.

It was a lifestyle from which young Britney had also tried to escape. When her breakthrough hit Baby One More Time came out in 1998, her parents

had only a few months previously declared themselves bankrupt with debts of £100,000.

Their phone was cut off because of unpaid bills and their old Ford pick-up was seized and auctioned on the steps of the local courthouse. Its windscreen was cracked and there were 71,770 miles on the clock. The vehicle fetched £1,000.

Though many local people blamed Jamie Spears’s drinking for the failure of his business, Britney castigated herself.

She believed her parents’ financial collapse and their subsequent divorce happened because she and her mother spent so long away from home – Britney starred in the long-running American TV show The Mickey Mouse Club.

As is often the case, however, her complicated relationship with her hard-drinking father was to cast a long shadow over her adult life. Britney’s romance with the clean-cut Justin Timberlake broke up after allegations that she was unfaithful.

She embarked on a string of tempestuous relationships soon afterwards that mirrored her father’s disastrous marriage.

Her first husband, Jason Alexander, was a swaggering heavy drinker who could have been a younger Jamie Spears. The second – Federline, a little-known dancer – already had one child and a girlfriend who was eight months pregnant when his relationship with Britney began.

The most disturbing part of the new arrangement between father and daughter is that Britney’s show-business career is her father’s only passport out of poverty – a poverty that his alcoholism helped create.

With Britney’s apparent recovery, I spoke again to the Spears family’s friends in the faded town of Kentwood, population 2,174.

One friend said: ‘He genuinely believes he can be an anchor in her life.

‘He’s very honest about his faults and he tells her, “Don’t do as I do, do as I say you’re to do.” She says she has forgiven him for her childhood. But I know she finds it hard. There’s a sadness in her eyes.’

When a court in Los Angeles appointed Spears his daughter’s conservator, he reportedly persuaded her to support his application by saying it would help her to win back custody of her children from Federline. But this is a development that conspicuously appears no nearer today than it did a year ago.

Her father’s supporters insist that his behaviour is the only type of ‘tough love’ that will prevent his daughter’s relapse into drink and **** addiction.

They point to her evident healthy glow and the rebirth of her show-business career as proof that he has her best interests at heart.

But friends of Britney say she is becoming increasingly anxious about the power her father has over her life.

Tensions have been raised to an all-time high following the announcement that she will embark on a worldwide tour – a massive undertaking for any young star, let alone one who until so recently was on the edge of a total breakdown.

A tearful Britney is said to have threatened to cancel some engagements, complaining that she is not yet strong enough to cope. ‘She blames her father for everything,’ one acquaintance said. ‘He and Brit hardly spoke for years and now all of a sudden he is the king.

‘She has an overwhelming love-hate relationship with her dad, and now Jamie has alienated his daughter by treating her like an infant. She is given to crying fits and says her father has pushed her into performing before she is ready.’

Her friends acknowledge that her father has kept his promise to keep her away from the party, drink and ***** lifestyle that prompted her downward spiral to a psychiatric clinic. But they say his controlling nature comes at a terrible price.

She is not allowed to drive her car or choose her own meals. She cannot leave her father’s side without permission – and then only with chaperones. All her phone calls are monitored and she is watched over day and night by guards.

On her recent mini-tour of Europe, she was surrounded by an entourage of 40 people and left the safety of her hotel room only to go out to ‘appearances’. She was not allowed to rehearse with the dancers on her shows.

Producers and studio technicians were refused any contact with her and all alcoholic drinks were banned – hotel minibars were emptied.

She lives in a strange netherworld of hotel rooms, rehearsal rooms, television studios, limousines and aeroplanes. Even Rolling Stone, America’s respected music magazine, was prompted to comment that because of the terms of the court order granting her father power of attorney over her life, ‘she has about as many legal rights as when she was a little girl’.

And in one rare moment of sad reflection, Britney herself said: ‘Even when you go to jail, you know there’s the time when you’re gonna get out. If I wasn’t under the restraints I am under, I would feel so liberated.’

The question now is: how long will Britney accept her father’s diktat? Already there are signs of rebellion. Shortly after her X Factor appearance, thousands of fans crammed into London’s Astoria club to see her, only to be informed she was ‘too shy’ to go on stage.

No matter how genuinely Jamie Spears wants to help his daughter, the fear is that this unsophisticated former alcoholic could be simply unable to help her escape the past.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1092519/The-day-I-saw-Britney-Spears-8217-father-pull-knife.html

1 minute ago, Britneylandia said:

I still can’t believe this happened to her and keeps going. I’m 100% sure that without the conservator ship abuse she’s been trough, she would be the “old Britney” that we all knew. 
She’s literally enslaved, abused and held prisoner against her will. So devastating.

FREE BRITNEY!!!

I think the same thing. When will anyone of these people pay for what they did to her and continue to do? Until when will this keep going? It seems like a ******* horror story at this point. 1/3 of her life living like this. The fact she only had 6 years of being independent blows my mind. 

One of the most accurate things I read about her situation is that when she was a child/teenager she had to work and was treated like an adult. She had to be focused, serious, determined and help her family. Once she created an empire for herself and started to have problems, not only her family didn't support her, they used her struggles (that had to do with her ****ed up childhood and family too) against her to take control over her life. Now they own everything about her life and as an adult, she's treated like a sick child that is only good at working and making money for team con and her family. If this isn't one of the most ****ed up stories in Hollywood, idk what that is. 

4 minutes ago, John0164 said:

stuff like this needs to be mainstream and brought to people in charge of these new documentaries coming out.. it should be on the news...  

Media pick stuff from Britney hiatus. People who have Twitter accounts  could share this there so maybe Britney Hiatus would notice.

1 hour ago, Bundy said:

I think the same thing. When will anyone of these people pay for what they did to her and continue to do? Until when will this keep going? It seems like a ******* horror story at this point. 1/3 of her life living like this. The fact she only had 6 years of being independent blows my mind. 

One of the most accurate things I read about her situation is that when she was a child/teenager she had to work and was treated like an adult. She had to be focused, serious, determined and help her family. Once she created an empire for herself and started to have problems, not only her family didn't support her, they used her struggles (that had to do with her ****ed up childhood and family too) against her to take control over her life. Now they own everything about her life and as an adult, she's treated like a sick child that is only good at working and making money for team con and her family. If this isn't one of the most ****ed up stories in Hollywood, idk what that is. 

1 hour ago, Britneylandia said:

I still can’t believe this happened to her and keeps going. I’m 100% sure that without the conservator ship abuse she’s been trough, she would be the “old Britney” that we all knew. 
She’s literally enslaved, abused and held prisoner against her will. So devastating.

FREE BRITNEY!!!

It literally feels like one of the most legendary people in history was taken from us, and not just from us, she was forced out of herself through literal **** abuse. They literally abused her with *****. When I read comments online it's almost as if people can't grasp how freaking fkd up that is. I mean, the absurdity alone is what gets to me. But to have it happen to someone so big, influential and NICE? No one deserves this, but Britney especially didn't. 

I hope this won't have permanent effect on her (mentally, at the end of the day I don't mind on what she does w her career, even though they took all the iconic moments and artistic growth she could've had from us and her as well)

• Love 4
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Bundy said:

I feel like the only solution at this point would be someone pulling some strings, or someone taking a stroll on the dark web

1 hour ago, Goten21 said:

It literally feels like one of the most legendary people in history was taken from us, and not just from us, she was forced out of herself through literal **** abuse. They literally abused her with *****. When I read comments online it's almost as if people can't grasp how freaking fkd up that is. I mean, the absurdity alone is what gets to me. But to have it happen to someone so big, influential and NICE? No one deserves this, but Britney especially didn't. 

I hope this won't have permanent effect on her (mentally, at the end of the day I don't mind on what she does w her career, even though they took all the iconic moments and artistic growth she could've had from us and her as well)

I saw people saying they couldnt finish framing Britney bc it made them feel sick to their stomach, imagine if they knew all we know? I mean, the fact her family ****ed her too, it wasn't only media paparazzi and Jamie. I also can't believe they did this to one of the most famous people ever and still are getting away with everything. I keep wondering how will this end. 

I feel the same way they stole Britney from us, from the world, from her kids and from herself. She can't be truly herself for like 13 years now, it makes me so sad. They ****ed up her career but also her whole life and relationship with her children. If she ever gets out of this, I hope she will find some good people in her life and that a lot of therapy will make her realize her whole family did this to her and she was abused in every way, I hope she puts a RO against every single person who benefited from her situation. I think Britney will have some trauma and issues bc of not only her cship, but her childhood, her relationship with media and etc. She was very abused in different ways. People are different, but Macaulay Culkin had to deal with his ****ed up parents until he was like 14 and this damaged him as a person and on his relationships too. I hope Britney will make therapy and will have the strength to cut a lot of people in her life that are toxic to her and allowed/agreed with this situation all this time. 

1 hour ago, Goten21 said:

I feel like the only solution at this point would be someone pulling some strings, or someone taking a stroll on the dark web

Tbh in an ideal world I'd prefer them paying going to jail. I'd like to think Britney would get justice for once, but I'm also losing my hopes about everything. 

The warning signs were always there. Most of the world just ignored them. I feel like I did for so long. Not anymore. Now that my eyes are open to the injustices that were done and continue to be done to Britney, I will not stop saying it. I shall write it on my health screener sticker at work every shift, I shall say as loud and as often as I can:

FREE BRITNEY!

• Love 2
  • Like 5

Its this kind of stuff that needs to be covered by the media :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger: I have not read or heard of this article but I always found it suspect that Jamie was pretty much always MIA and then BAM he’s Britney’s conservator :wtfdidusay_wth_what_huh_again_who_confused_looking_around: At the time Britney was at odds with Lynne so Jamie definitely seized the opportunity :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger: Does anyone know how long Jamie has been sober? 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I hope once Britney is free she never talks to this man again and let’s him drown in his misery. You can tell by all those comments that are now being brought back that the only thing he ever saw as a priority was how rich she could make him because it was never a question to him, it was a fact. At this point, if Britney were to disappear after all of this and hide to live a peaceful life I’d be so happy for her. Because, truly, how can a person heal from all of this?

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Bundy said:

Though many local people blamed Jamie Spears’s drinking for the failure of his business, Britney castigated herself.

She believed her parents’ financial collapse and their subsequent divorce happened because she and her mother spent so long away from home – Britney starred in the long-running American TV show The Mickey Mouse Club.

Oh no, this saddens me. Don’t blame yourself Britney, it’s not your fault :sad_britney_ftr_for_the_record:

• Love 4

After reading this, it is still absolutely mind blowing that the courts granted this drunk mess of a loser full control over Britney. She has to be the strongest person in the world because this is just an insane prison no one should have had to endure. I hope she comes out of all of this mentally fit.

• Love 6
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Bundy said:

I saw people saying they couldnt finish framing Britney bc it made them feel sick to their stomach, imagine if they knew all we know? I mean, the fact her family ****ed her too, it wasn't only media paparazzi and Jamie. I also can't believe they did this to one of the most famous people ever and still are getting away with everything. I keep wondering how will this end. 

I feel the same way they stole Britney from us, from the world, from her kids and from herself. She can't be truly herself for like 13 years now, it makes me so sad. They ****ed up her career but also her whole life and relationship with her children. If she ever gets out of this, I hope she will find some good people in her life and that a lot of therapy will make her realize her whole family did this to her and she was abused in every way, I hope she puts a RO against every single person who benefited from her situation. I think Britney will have some trauma and issues bc of not only her cship, but her childhood, her relationship with media and etc. She was very abused in different ways. People are different, but Macaulay Culkin had to deal with his ****ed up parents until he was like 14 and this damaged him as a person and on his relationships too. I hope Britney will make therapy and will have the strength to cut a lot of people in her life that are toxic to her and allowed/agreed with this situation all this time. 

What always gets to me is she already realized. It’s why she fired everyone in 2006/2007. They literally used a mother’s children against her to make her succumb to her. It makes me so fkn sick aaaahhhhhhh

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Bundy said:

Tbh in an ideal world I'd prefer them paying going to jail. I'd like to think Britney would get justice for once, but I'm also losing my hopes about everything. 

They’re clearly too powerful to be properly jailed. Of course I’d love that too, but they 1) would never get in 2) wouldn’t have a hard time in there. I’d rather never see this happen to anyone else / have them not be able to enjoy their thefts

5 hours ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

Its this kind of stuff that needs to be covered by the media :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger: I have not read or heard of this article but I always found it suspect that Jamie was pretty much always MIA and then BAM he’s Britney’s conservator :wtfdidusay_wth_what_huh_again_who_confused_looking_around: At the time Britney was at odds with Lynne so Jamie definitely seized the opportunity :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger: Does anyone know how long Jamie has been sober? 

She was at odds with both and they planned the cship together, Lynne just felt Britney needed someone tougher and she would just give in more than Jamie :umok_pursed_squint_well_okay:

Jamie was seen drinking and driving some years ago, so he def started drinking again after becoming her conservator.