Why did she stay in California

Oprah Winfrey.

So I’m not at all trying to victim blame but I always wondered why she stayed in California when the paparazzi were hounding her.

I mean she wasn’t working at the time, she could’ve moved to like France where they have strict paparazzi laws (so I believe)

I’ve also wondered why she didn’t have a whole army of security back then like where was big rob?

We can only speculate what happened but I have a theory that since Britney said “she never wanted to be one of those criminal people” that she wasn’t gonna let the paparazzi dictate where she lives and what she could do

any thoughts?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She asked herself the same question in otr. In my opinion she may have thought at that time that she had support from the leeches around her. Her other (reasonable) option would be going back to kentwood where her mom and dad were but since she did not have a good relationship with them she probably thought in her head that the best thing to do was to stay in LA.

She couldn’t just move and leave the country especially because of her children with Kevin. It’s also likely Kevin didn’t want to leave California, he was trying to make it famous. 

I believe Big Rob hated Kfed, and stopped working for her around the time they got married. I think Britney canceled most of her security with the naive thought she shouldn’t need them because she wasn’t working. 

• Super Mods

She could’ve gone anywhere on the planet and media scrutiny/tabloids still would’ve hounded her. And all the other reasons people have said for her staying. Plus, she was working still and many of the studios are in LA...

True. When she heard the conservatorship was going to happen. She should have left the state. But Jamie would have called up TMZ and shamed her for leaving her kids or something horrific like that. 
Once Britney is out of the c/ship I wouldn’t be surprised if she moves out of California.

21 minutes ago, Forever222 said:

True. When she heard the conservatorship was going to happen. She should have left the state. But Jamie would have called up TMZ and shamed her for leaving her kids or something horrific like that. 
Once Britney is out of the c/ship I wouldn’t be surprised if she moves out of California.

For own well being I hope she just goes on to live a normal and peaceful life. It’s what she deserves. 

6 hours ago, danny1994 said:

New York definitely would’ve been a better fit, even the paparazzi are a lot more respectful. NYC residents especially, it’s almost a cultural thing here to just leave them alone. I live in a NYC suburb and I’ve seen many celebrities, no one bothers them.

Didn't the baby tripping incident happen in New York City?

8 hours ago, Britman512 said:

So I’m not at all trying to victim blame but I always wondered why she stayed in California when the paparazzi were hounding her.

I mean she wasn’t working at the time, she could’ve moved to like France where they have strict paparazzi laws (so I believe)

3 hours ago, SlayOut said:

She could’ve gone anywhere on the planet and media scrutiny/tabloids still would’ve hounded her. And all the other reasons people have said for her staying. Plus, she was working still and many of the studios are in LA...

I disagree with the automatic hounding.  If she had left her label around 2004-2005 (or restructured her record deal at the very least-she was fighting Jive with Original Doll/Do Somethin') and moved to New Mexico or Idaho or Montana, with the privacy she craved, do you really think anyone would care about her marriage???

I simply believe lots of the staying in the spotlight had to do with fulfilling her contractual obligations and her not re-negotiating her deals in 2004-2005.

She was far too beholden to her label that late in her career given all her previous success.

7 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I mean she could’ve left LA before having kids

the paps were hounding her prior to the birth of her children 

if any of her team really cared they would’ve gotten her out of Cali before things truly start escalating

i mean this wasn’t some new thing Mj was already hounded by paps and princess Diana died because of them back in the 90s

29 minutes ago, Britman512 said:

if any of her team really cared they would’ve gotten her out of Cali before things truly start escalating

i mean this wasn’t some new thing Mj was already hounded by paps and princess Diana died because of them back in the 90s

she used to live in NY before, if I'm not mistaken, when she had that apartment with Bryan.

idk, maybe she just thought it was nicer in California, the weather, idk lol

I do think she should've moved out when all the media frenzy started, but we don't know how she was feeling, or what was she thinking, even for Kevin and the kids would've been better to move to a calmer place.

57 minutes ago, Britman512 said:

23 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I do think she should've moved out when all the media frenzy started, but we don't know how she was feeling, or what was she thinking, even for Kevin and the kids would've been better to move to a calmer place.

7 minutes ago, Isla said:

It’s a shame as I think living in a quiet place somewhere in the US might have been better for her

This is what I keep alluding to when I'm talking about late 2004/early 2005.  She was blatantly battling her label with Original Doll, Mona Lisa and Do Somethin.  Yet she never left her label or apparently re-structure her record deal.

She was long past tired of her fame.  Her Everytime video and LaChapelle's comments confirm this.

Wouldn't the next logical step be to move out of the spotlight and THEN attempt a comeback later on? (If she wanted to stay in the industry)

2 hours ago, zxcvb said:

This is what I keep alluding to when I'm talking about late 2004/early 2005.  She was blatantly battling her label with Original Doll, Mona Lisa and Do Somethin.  Yet she never left her label or apparently re-structure her record deal.

She was long past tired of her fame.  Her Everytime video and LaChapelle's comments confirm this.

Wouldn't the next logical step be to move out of the spotlight and THEN attempt a comeback later on? (If she wanted to stay in the industry)

Well, the thing is she was battling, yet she was winning, or so it seemed. She fought for Do Somethin' video, and she got it. She fought for the ITZ singles, and they were released as she wanted. Mona Lisa eventually came out on the Chaotic EP. So probably she didn't see the need to go away, just needed to prove them wrong by convincing them to release what she wanted.

If we ultimately got Blackout instead of Original Doll was because she wanted it like that, or if Original Doll didn't come out earlier was because she herself made a pause to become a mom. The guy that was at Jive said Britney was constantly in touch with him before the release of Blackout, I don't remember his name, but he was the one testified on the Sam Lutfi case, where he said Lutfi never acted as a manager during that time, that he saw him more of an assistant, and that he only helped them to make her shoot one of the videoclips (POM I guess). So I guess Britney felt ok with the guy at the record label after all. In fact it seems he was one of the very few people she trusted in that time.

Archived