This is the moment for all 'Britney' stans here: MTV examines the album and finally gives the praise it always deserved

24 minutes ago, filmandstage13 said:

This is so on point!   Around the Britney era, I felt like there a reactionary movement where female artists were trying to distance themselves from the popstar model and imagery that Britney pioneered.  I'm thinking Avril Lavigne, Michelle Branch, Vanessa Carlton, etc.  All women who sought to project their own sense of power through rock-oriented music, an emphasis on being songwriters & instrumentalists, and all made some comments about not feeling the need to "dress ****."  Granted, a lot of this was media-driven, pitting women against each other, but all felt the need to speak out against or at least respond to ***uality in pop.  There's literally a 2002 article called "The Anti-Britneys" that features all of them: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-anti-britneys/

But it's not lost on me that there's a definite masculine bend to this projection of power.  Avril was literally wearing ties.  The subtext (or sometimes it was explicitly stated) that women who dressed **** were somehow victims of culture or that it was a gimmick to obscure a lack of talent.

I think the revolutionary thing about Britney (and specifically the album Britney) is that she was projecting power while embracing both her ***uality and her femininity. And this was not appreciated by critics/commentators at the time, but is finally getting the appreciation and respect it deserves. You don't have to act like a dude to be powerful, important, or interesting.

Legend :mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming:

yeah that's another thing the whole "I don't need to show skin" (whether it comes from peers or the public) it's also implying that embracing their ***uality, especially female ***uality is wrong, bad, nasty, when in reality there's nothing wrong with it, and there's nothing wrong with incorporating it into their art. As she said countless times, it's not like she was wearing her stage outfits to go out on the street, it was just a performance, a music video, a photoshoot, etc. and even if she did wear that on the streets, then what? We praise all these men that come out showing their physiques on magazines, movies, etc, but if a woman does it, then she's a shame for society. 

*** is good

• Love 1
  • Like 5
6 hours ago, migeal said:

Can't  wait for when In the Zone gets the acclaim  it deserves 

I think ITZ already gets some love. It's her most streamed album on Spotify and Everytime was praised by critics even then, but yeah, the album as a whole needs way more love and recognition, especially songs like touch of my hand. Maybe in two years it'll have. 

That's a great article, thank you for sharing it.

I remember vividly that BRITNEY era. It was so good. After the success of BOMT and Oops, we were all waiting for her to comeback with a new album. The Pepsi commercials, the Oops show live at Rock in Rio, the Crossroads filming... Britney was everywhere.

I remember the Slave performance like it was yesterday. It was the first time we heard the full song. HBO was teasing us with the commercial her live (Thank you, thank you very much!), she was SO BEAUTIFUL in that Elvis outfit.

The album BRITNEY is the crossroad oh her career, when the production is not that bubble pop anymore. She was shifting.

I remember that she was critized by being to **** in the music video DON'T LET ME BE THE LAST TO KNOW, that even her mom was not ok with some of the shots... and then SLAVE happened. Britney wanted to change her image and she started even before the BRITNEY album. The music videos, the performances, the interviews, and the tour... Everything was PERFECT! Until her breakup with Justin... The rest is History!

I will always cherish the BRITNEY album, that era. It was an amazing moment to live.

• Love 3
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, Harlow said:

That's a great article, thank you for sharing it.

I remember vividly that BRITNEY era. It was so good. After the success of BOMT and Oops, we were all waiting for her to comeback with a new album. The Pepsi commercials, the Oops show live at Rock in Rio, the Crossroads filming... Britney was everywhere.

I remember the Slave performance like it was yesterday. It was the first time we heard the full song. HBO was teasing us with the commercial her live (Thank you, thank you very much!), she was SO BEAUTIFUL in that Elvis outfit.

The album BRITNEY is the crossroad oh her career, when the production is not that bubble pop anymore. She was shifting.

I remember that she was critized by being to **** in the music video DON'T LET ME BE THE LAST TO KNOW, that even her mom was not ok with some of the shots... and then SLAVE happened. Britney wanted to change her image and she started even before the BRITNEY album. The music videos, the performances, the interviews, and the tour... Everything was PERFECT! Until her breakup with Justin... The rest is History!

I will always cherish the BRITNEY album, that era. It was an amazing moment to live.

And of course, I forgot to mention it, but BRITNEY was leading her to deliver one of her best albums, IN THE ZONE!!!

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, SJK said:

Hands down my FAV album from Britney!!

the whole era was flawless. Diary of britney, making the video, VMA 2001.

slave and overprotected (remix) are some of her best choreography plus she looked flawless!

So true!!! I love the DIARY OF BRITNEY SPEARS. When I feel nostalgic, I watch it!

• Love 2
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, Bundy said:

team con and rca will re-re-re-re-release the album again this year for its 5 years anniversary, they will continue to milk and remind everyone about it, so I think we are all good with it :imok_goo_ooze_yellow_slime_mess_blonde:

They better be, since Britney and ITZ are my favorite Britney albums, and I'm dying to have a proper anniversary edition of Britney instead of those trashy picture discs. :tiffanynod_miss_ms_ny_new_york_yes_yas_nodding_agree:

11 hours ago, migeal said:

Can't  wait for when In the Zone gets the acclaim  it deserves 

5 hours ago, Bundy said:

I think ITZ already gets some love. It's her most streamed album on Spotify and Everytime was praised by critics even then, but yeah, the album as a whole needs way more love and recognition, especially songs like touch of my hand. Maybe in two years it'll have. 

Ultimately, her composing and writing 'Everytime' is what made me a converter.

(And we do have evidence she can write more than one melody on a musical instrument)

(1:50)

I still believe her own team/management/label shortchanged her own talent when you look at her 'piano playing' of 'Everytime' during her Onyx tour.  

Maybe it was her own shyness or maybe it was her label/management not believing in her, but they didn't do her favors if it takes people decades to recognize her has a talented songwriter.

Thanks for sharing! I LOVE this album <3

Some interesting quotes from the article:

"The New York Times’s recent Hulu documentary Framing Britney Spears — which re-examines her career, the cruelty of the media, and contextualizes her conservatorship — recalled how Spears, not quite 20 years old when this album dropped, was met repeatedly with questions about her virginity and *** life. And Britney was a statement that required no further questioning — a portrait of a young girl reckoning with both adulthood and her ***uality. Yet this self-actualization was ignored, and Spears was not only plagued endlessly by intimate questions but christened one of pop culture’s “Lolitas,” (...). Unfortunately, that gross sentiment overshadowed the pop star’s own story and haunted her career during her journey of self-discovery."

"In the context of the recent Spears renaissance, the record is simultaneously a pop masterpiece, a plea for autonomy and respect, and a statement to the media. Her loneliness wasn’t killing her anymore, but the scrutiny surrounding her life and image was. While Britney helped establish a foundation for Spears’s pop superstardom, it also reflected the harrowing state of early 2000s media culture, ****-shaming, and the way it suffocated young women. Britney was a message we ignored, and we should have known better."

1 hour ago, zxcvb said:

Ultimately, her composing and writing 'Everytime' is what made me a converter.

(And we do have evidence she can write more than one melody on a musical instrument)

(1:50)

I still believe her own team/management/label shortchanged her own talent when you look at her 'piano playing' of 'Everytime' during her Onyx tour.  

Maybe it was her own shyness or maybe it was her label/management not believing in her, but they didn't do her favors if it takes people decades to recognize her has a talented songwriter.

I completely agree. 

I think the fact she never had complete artistic freedom was tiring for her. She always had to fight to release some songs as singles and try other stuff. Her label and team were always stuck with the **** vixen and lolita images. I remember in 2001 she was trying to play guitar. If she gets free and still wants to be an artist, I hope she can release an album she wants to do someday without having to be all about parties and hook ups. That she can use her real voice and do the genre she wants to do. I believe in her, I know she's talented, it's just bad she was never able to show this side of herself to the world. Funnily Jayden plays piano very well. 

On 3/5/2021 at 6:37 AM, Goten21 said:

GOOD. It's what Cinderella, Overprotected and Lonely deserve

On 3/5/2021 at 6:40 AM, Goten21 said:

Glory Remaster, Glory re-release the remix, Glory gay pride edition, Glory c-zant remix, Glory Deluxe extended mix (2021 edition) 

All coming to you soon on vinyl at your local urban outfitters

Best Snorting Powder GIFs | Gfycat

On 3/5/2021 at 6:51 AM, Goten21 said:

It's what they did to all of her albums. It's literally old men being ***ist and ageist towards a young woman. Fkn disgusting

Edit: s3xist

On 3/5/2021 at 6:57 AM, Goten21 said:

Yup. She didn't get the credit she deserved at the time for being the only successful pop artist at that point to transition from teen pop to adult pop, successfully. She embraced her femininity. 

That being said, maybe the critics didn't fully grasp it, but it inspired an entire generation. It's why Britney is still so big today.

Edit:

And it's also why Britney is a gay icon. It's because she embraced her s3xuality. I felt like I had to mention this real quick because I sometimes see people get confused over this.

Like Lady Gaga said, Britney taught us how to be fearless

4 popular posts? On the front page? The 1-2-3-4 PUNCH. My teenage dream era

On 3/5/2021 at 5:40 AM, Goten21 said:

Glory Remaster, Glory re-release the remix, Glory gay pride edition, Glory c-zant remix, Glory Deluxe extended mix (2021 edition) 

All coming to you soon on vinyl at your local urban outfitters

Best Snorting Powder GIFs | Gfycat

200.gif?cid=31ad6aa7emn9czmtvk2ewkylr8zz love that.

On 3/5/2021 at 5:48 AM, Frankie8 said:

I think the problem with critics then was that they dismissed it as a pop record they felt had no depth. That it was just a Britney Spears record that is also cross promoting her upcoming movie. This article here actually gives time to talk about the themes Britney talked about, but not fully appreciated by critics.

Perhaps what would give more depth to the album would be his performances, which were his peak as a Britney performer/dancer (along with the ITZ era) and not as a Britney singer. If she had done an acoustic session of the album, even if she had publicized the album the way she did, she would have gotten another look at the criticism and the gp and would not be seen as "superficial".

Look at the case of Taylor Swift, one of her best albums (if not the best according to fans and critics) was purely pop, but she brought her usual acoustic performances to that era and although I think she is a good peformer (she has evolved a lot over the years in this aspect, as her strength has always been in composing songs and singing them, since Britney is a natural performer), it was with her voice and her usual record that made the difference with it to be acclaimed and made sure that what it was doing was appreciated. She mixed performance with acoustic and that gave her credit for the album.

• Love 1