This is the moment for all 'Britney' stans here: MTV examines the album and finally gives the praise it always deserved

BRITNEY OFFERED POP SUPERSTARDOM — BUT IT ALSO SENT A MESSAGE WE IGNORED

TWENTY YEARS LATER, BRITNEY SPEARS'S SELF-TITLED 2001 ALBUM REMAINS A PLEA FOR AUTONOMY AND RESPECT

An eponymous album marks a major moment in an artist's career. For women, owning one's work, body, and artistry can be especially powerful, even political. Throughout Women's History Month, MTV News is highlighting some of these iconic statements from some of the biggest artists on the globe. This is Self-Titled.

Several images have defined Britney Spears throughout her career: debuting distressed in a (then) controversial, edgy Catholic school-girl outfit about how her loneliness is killing her; steamy in white, kissing Madonna at the 2003 MTV Video Music Awards; distraught and battling her mental health and tabloid culture as she beat a paparazzo’s car with an umbrella a few years later.

But one particular scene stands out as a cultural reset for the star: when Spears performed her raunchy hit “I’m a Slave 4 U” at the 2001 VMAs with an albino Burmese python named Banana draped around her neck. It could’ve been just another awards show performance, but it became pop-music history. The set was striking — a jungle of Spears’s own making — featuring the singer and her washboard abs scantily clad in a green chiffon scarf-bra and gem-encrusted boy shorts that eventually helped fund the Halloween costume industry.

As the lead single of her self-titled album Britney, “I’m a Slave 4 U” was a hypnotic, hip-hop-infused anthem that touted a more mature sound than listeners had heard before. But it wasn’t just a single: It symbolized a new era. Her VMAs rendition further solidified it. The performance, like the song, had power. Gone were the pink-ribbon pigtails and cardigans: Spears was embracing her raw ***uality and also making a declarative response to the criticism she received for being too risqué. Whether the public liked it or not, the pop icon was growing up, and her liberated sound and provocative performances were now going to match.

Full article on MTV

BMTV.thumb.JPG.b32f76f7fe6d80d8682a6b0aba05bc15.JPG

1 minute ago, Britman512 said:

I thought this would be about glory... :imok_goo_ooze_yellow_slime_mess_blonde:

team con and rca will re-re-re-re-release the album again this year for its 5 years anniversary, they will continue to milk and remind everyone about it, so I think we are all good with it :imok_goo_ooze_yellow_slime_mess_blonde:

1 minute ago, Goten21 said:

It's what they did to all of her albums. It's literally old men being ***ist and ageist towards a young woman. Fkn disgusting

Edit: s3xist

Yea I think it is what critics do when reviewing pop records. If she were a boy releasing a coming of age rock album or some other non-pop album, critics would see it in a different light.

• Love 1
On 3/5/2021 at 2:55 AM, Frankie8 said:

Yea I think it is what critics do when reviewing pop records. If she were a boy releasing a coming of age rock album or some other non-pop album, critics would see it in a different light.

I think they had more problems with Britney's albums than any other major female popstar tbh. It's like they wouldn't open their minds to at least try to like or be fair about her work, no matter what she did. 

Just see how blackout just started to be recognized by critics years after its release when they couldn't deny anymore its impact on the pop world. 

The Grammys also are another example bc no matter if Britney was doing Everytime, Gimme More or HIAM, they paid her dust every single ******* time. ITZ got 1 nom, Blackout and FF got none. It didn't change anything if her albums were a success, if she tried to compose, if she did different vocals or if she challenged herself, they didn't give her any awards or didn't even nominate her. 

28 minutes ago, Goten21 said:

Glory Remaster, Glory re-release the remix, Glory gay pride edition, Glory c-zant remix, Glory extended mix

All coming to you soon on vinyl at your local urban outfitters

Best Snorting Powder GIFs | Gfycat

Make them stop :meltdown_panic_scream_falling_die_ahh_scream_yell: