Mariah Carey being sued by brother over emotional distress caused by her memoir

• Content Curators

Mariah Carey's older brother Morgan Carey is suing the star for defamation and emotional distress caused by her recent memoir, The Meaning Of Mariah Carey.

In the book, Mariah wrote about an alleged physical altercation between him and their father when she was a child. She claimed that "12 cops to pull my brother and father apart". However, he said it's fictional.

She also implied that he tried to extort her for money after being famous. 

Morgan Carey, who is seeking unspecified damages, says the book falsely suggests he was violent. As a result he has suffered "extreme mental anguish" and "serious damage to his reputation", his legal case says.

The papers have been filed a month after Mariah's sister sued her for $1.25m over the memoir. Alison Carey said passages claiming that she gave Valium to 12-year-old Mariah, tried to pimp her out and threw boiling tea on her were "outrageous" and meant to "humiliate and embarrass" her. She denied the claims, saying the singer had "presented no evidence to substantiate these serious allegations".

00117cb0-500.jpg.50c016a55e30fd7a74ae1d5e7a86ae7f.jpg

I don't understand... Even though that lawsuit is ridiculous, of course she should have expected something like this coming if she's talking awful things about family members... What was she thinking? Or do you think she did it out of spite, or because she feels protected for being a millionaire? She must have a very good group of lawyers to feel that confident...

• Love 1
  • Like 4
13 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

I don't understand... Even though that lawsuit is ridiculous, of course she should have expected something like this coming if she's talking awful things about family members... What was she thinking? Or do you think she did it out of spite, or because she feels protected for being a millionaire? She must have a very good group of lawyers to feel that confident...

I thought the exact same thing, she mentioned them by full name in the book,  they have been leeching off of Mariah for years and when she cut them off in the 2000s that's when they started turning on her in the media, I'm like she's gonna get sued by them at some point. And look it happened :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

• Like 4

I read the memoir, and found it to be very interesting. It seems like both Morgan and Alison are trying to do whatever they can to get Mariah's money, especially when Mariah references them as 'ex-brother' and 'ex-sister' in the book... It's sad to see how money gets in the way of families, it's all too relatable 

raw

• Love 2
20 hours ago, myonlywish said:

I read the memoir, and found it to be very interesting. It seems like both Morgan and Alison are trying to do whatever they can to get Mariah's money, especially when Mariah references them as 'ex-brother' and 'ex-sister' in the book... It's sad to see how money gets in the way of families, it's all too relatable 

raw

They are dumb about it too. Shoulda did what Madonna's siblings did, swallow pride and stay close. The money would have come flowing.

• Like 5
On 3/4/2021 at 10:12 PM, I'mNotTheAverageLady said:

Which part didn't seem genuine? The whole thing or her childhood? I'm curious

Oh it is genuine. Her situation with Tommy Motorola has a lot of similarities with Britney, their own brothers and mother even tried to paint her as crazy back in 2001 with the whole ‘breakdown’ too, but she was able to break free 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, ivobb said:

I’ve been a lamb for the longest and I have known about the situation with her siblings for a long time, there’s many interviews with them, and they are total demons. It’s like two Jamie Lynn’s but worse 😂

Leave Jamie Lynn alone! 

• Haha 2
16 hours ago, ivobb said:

Oh it is genuine. Her situation with Tommy Motorola has a lot of similarities with Britney, their own brothers and mother even tried to paint her as crazy back in 2001 with the whole ‘breakdown’ too, but she was able to break free 

Yeah, I've read the book, I'm a relatively new lamb, I love her:tbh_britney_nod_yes_yas_ftr_for_the_record_vma_2008_circus: I was just curious why it wouldn't be genuine, although I had an itsy bitsy doubt about it myself, I think it is genuine (I think it occurred maybe because of the style of the writing - with big words, theatrically - but we know that's her style) 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block