This Day in Pop: 'Break the Ice' is released as a single in 2008 (March 03)

btisingle.jpg.fe5c1fc7db7f3edcba78206c45c16ee3.jpg 01.jpg

On March 03, 2008, Break the Ice was sent to US radio stations as the third and last single off Britney's fifth studio album Blackout. The song was co-produced by Danja and Jim BEANZ with additional writing by Keri Hilson and Marcella Araica. This was her first single to be released after she was placed under the conservatorship.

In February, the song was announced as the most voted by fans from an online poll at Britney.com, with Toy Soldier coming in second place, and it was released internationally at the end of the month.

The song peaked at #43 on the Billboard Hot 100, but it topped the US Dance Club Songs chart. It was also Top 10 in several countries, including #1 in Australia.

A remix EP was also released later in the year

It's been a while

I know I shouldn't have kept you waiting

But I'm here now

The electro-R&B song started to be recorded when Britney was still pregnant of Jayden James in 2006, and it was finished three weeks after she gave birth. According to Keri Hilson, Britney wanted to focus more on her vocal delivery and opted not to do any background vocals “it sounds like me anyway”. 

At first it was rumored that she was preparing a music video for a remix of the song that featured rapper Fabulous, and that this was gonna be the version released as a single. However this ultimately didn't happen. In the end, an animated video was ordered, which was released in mid-March, but we'll celebrate that later.

At the time of its release, no promo performance was done for the song, and in the 2009 Circus Tour, a remix of the track was used as an interlude. It wasn't until late 2013 that Britney performed the song for the first time ever during her Las Vegas residency Britney: Piece of Me.

The song kept being part of the show throughout the duration of the residency, including the revamped version that started in 2016.

It was also going to be part of the setlist of Domination, her second Vegas residency which was cancelled a few weeks before it started in 2019.

• Love 7

I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of her top 5 songs of all time. Pop perfection.

My favorite song off of ‘ Blackout’. The leaked audio where she is recording it and you can hear her chewing ice is just life. An on brand queen.     

On March 03, 2008, Break the Ice was sent to US radio stations as the third and last single off Britney's fifth studio album Blackout. The song was co-produced by Danja and Jim BEANZ with additional w

Posted Images

You forgot to add the Official Music Video on the post :shocked_what_xfactor_britney_pink_surprised_wow: Imagine the real Britney doing the same music video instead of the anime :ohmygawd_britney_omg_shocked_wow_holy_crap_gasp_shocked_itz_in_the_zone_white:

And if some are interested, here’s a higher quality of the music video, upscaled in 4K without aliasing and artefacts:

• Love 3
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, MSTAR said:

You forgot to add the Official Music Video on the post :shocked_what_xfactor_britney_pink_surprised_wow:

didn't forget, but that's another anniversary coming soon 

• Love 2

7 hours ago, KrisJ said:

One of her BEST songs - it’s top two for me (And then we kiss is first) 

The (original) Vegas performance was awesome and so is this remix: 

Your taste is faultless. 

• Love 2

One on her best songs tbh, the promo didn't do justice. It had potential to be a hit, even tho It didn't peak high, I found it curious it stayed 17 weeks on the hot 100 charts, like ????, even more than Make Me and Pretty Girls combined lmao

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Adriannn said:

My favorite song off of ‘ Blackout’. The leaked audio where she is recording it and you can hear her chewing ice is just life. An on brand queen. 

Oh my God. I love this as much as she loves ice. Literally breaking the ice while she sings break the ice :melt_weird_drift_wow:

• Love 3
1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

didn't forget, but that's another anniversary coming soon 

Oh I thought you put also the music video in the single’s anniversary post! :yesokay_britney_blush_blink:

27 minutes ago, MSTAR said:

Oh I thought you put also the music video in the single’s anniversary post! :yesokay_britney_blush_blink:

when they're released the same day such as Slave or Born to Make You Happy I do, I think Toxic too :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

• Love 1