TIME magazine: "Britney is the most talked about pop star in 2021"

8 minutes ago, jordeezy said:

Thanks for agreeing - I just don't want this all to be simplified and put in the overflowing bucket of "misogyny" by people who at the time were probably bashing her themselves. I hate seeing the bandwagon types of people take on issues that at one point they wouldn't have - for example: the people who used to call me the "f" word in school now claiming to be LGBT activists or pro-LGBT. You know, it's weird being 30 and seeing society change the way it has in the past decade and a lot of it just feels so hypocritical. :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile:

I feel you, I also think they're not always sincere and just jumping on the trend and it's hard to smile and nod at them, but I have to say I feel it's not neccessarily a bad thing. Because at least, these words and actions are unacceptable now. So less little kid has to deal with what you still had to, unfortunately. But there are a bunch of hypocrites, right:cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek: I live in a european country where this transition didn't happen. On the contrary, the gov started its own "little" propaganda against anyone who doesn't fit the patriarchal norms, so.. The bigoted people are thriving here rn. Society has a long way to go. But I really hope we get there and actually focus on what's really important, like the points you've made. 

• Love 3
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, I'mNotTheAverageLady said:

I feel you, I also think they're not always sincere and just jumping on the trend and it's hard to smile and nod at them, but I have to say I feel it's not neccessarily a bad thing. Because at least, these words and actions are unacceptable now. So less little kid has to deal with what you still had to, unfortunately. But there are a bunch of hypocrites, right:cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek: I live in a european country where this transition didn't happen. On the contrary, the gov started its own "little" propaganda against anyone who doesn't fit the patriarchal norms, so.. The bigoted people are thriving here rn. Society has a long way to go. But I really hope we get there and actually focus on what's really important, like the points you've made. 

In the United States its hard to tell who the bigoted people are - I think there are bigoted people on BOTH sides of pretty much ALL discussions here. People are constantly fighting for the upper hand. It's all "gotcha" politics. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Roger said:

Remember when Kee$ha used to sing in the '00s:

In 10 years, Britney Spears, Britney... Who ?

How ironic when Kee$ha hasn't been relevant since 2014:ohi_okay_chewing_gum_well_welp:

We stan a ******* living legend whose career achievements and influence on the music industry have stood the test of time. I couldn't be prouder of my fave.

• Love 2
  • Like 1
On 3/2/2021 at 10:57 PM, SloppyToppyGoddess said:

Lol im sure its not 

But she was on the most influential artists list some years ago tho lol 

• 4 months later...

Article Link

The year is 2021, and the most-talked-about pop star in the world is Britney Spears. Yes, that’s the same Britney Spears who hasn’t released a studio album since the Obama administration. The same Britney Spears who hasn’t toured since 2018. And the same Britney Spears who, two years ago, announced an “indefinite work hiatus” and canceled a Las Vegas residency weeks before it was scheduled to start. In fact, one way of explaining the resurgence of interest in all things Britney is that she’s now in the news because of how long she’s been out of the news.

Specifically, she is suddenly ubiquitous in pop culture—in headlines, on social media and in multiple SNL sketches—thanks to a new documentary called Framing Britney Spears that is now streaming via FX on Hulu. Directed by Samantha Stark, as part of the series The New York Times Presents, it offers a thorough chronology of Spears’ career from The Mickey Mouse Club through her seemingly isolated present, with a focus on the conservatorship she was placed under in 2008, which gave her father Jamie Spears control over her finances and career. Though it’s not a polemic, the film’s underlying argument is clear. As the legion of fans turned activists who’ve spent years agitating on her behalf so forcefully put it: #FreeBritney.

That rallying cry has spread since the doc’s Feb. 5 premiere, and the movement to liberate the 39-year-old performer and mom is rapidly gaining momentum. Media outlets, as well as comedians like Sarah Silverman, have expressed regretover their treatment of her. Her ex-boyfriend Justin Timberlake—whom Stark singles out for manipulating the narrative around their breakup—apologized to not just Spears, but also Janet Jackson, whose career suffered after he exposed her nipple in a notorious incident at the 2004 Super Bowl. On Feb. 11, a judge confirmed that Jamie Spears would have to share conservatorship duties with a third party, in a partnership that will presumably prevent him from wielding unilateral power over his daughter.

It’s been a heartening, if long overdue, corrective to decades of casual cruelty toward a woman who has openly struggled with ***ual objectification, paparazzi surveillance, harsh media scrutiny and mental health. Spears isn’t the only specter of turn-of-the-millennium femininity to become the subject of a massive public reconsideration recently, either. A few days after Framing Britney Spears debuted, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel actor Charisma Carpenter spoke out about what she called abuses of power on the part of the shows’ creator, Joss Whedon, touching off a new wave of mourning among fans who’ve been hearing reports of vicious behavior on Whedon’s part for years now, and for whom Buffy had long ago become a symbol of empowered femininity.

framing-britney-spears-fx.jpg?w=1600&qua

• Love 7