Little Mix talk about the future of the band

To keep it short they are very happy that they are together and have each other and it appears they are in it for the long haul. They have said that they want to help push each other to do their own thing too and that this is a 'new dawn of Little Mix'. Looks like they'll be staying together and also doing some solo projects too, whatever they may be. The girls also won Glamour UK's Women of the Year Award! 

2021 marks the 10 year anniversary of Little Mix.

Interview:

Leigh-Anne Pinnock, 29, Jade Thirlwall, 28, Jesy Nelson, 29, and Perrie Edwards, 27, became the biggest girl group in the world as a four-piece. Now, as Little Mix win GLAMOUR’s Women of the Year award for being Gamechangers in Music – both on and off stage – and begin a new chapter as a trio they open up about the past year.

Having interviewed Little Mix seven times, both collectively and individually for their first solo interviews, there has been laughter, tears, the tightest of hugs and a lot of camp humour. We’ve discussed everything from how Perrie’s crippling anxiety left her unable to leave the house, the vile online racism Leigh-Anne has faced, Jade’s gamechanging allyship with the LGBTQA+ community and how Jesy’s experiences with trolls left her attempting suicide.

They keep our hour-long chat firmly on the future of the Little Mix and respectfully, and rightly, do not address Jesy’s personal decision to leave the group. “It was nice going into the new year, as a three, with the No.1 single,” Perrie says proudly, referencing Sweet Melody, which has also become their longest-charting single in the Top 10 to date. It’s a moment Perrie is calling a “good omen” for their new chapter, which they all nod in agreement with.

“This time has given everyone perspective of what you truly love doing in life and figuring that out,” Jade answers.

“It’s definitely important. It’s going to take time. It’s not something that happens overnight after being together 24/7,” Leigh-Anne replies before Jade continues. “I’m not saying that we’re codependent, but we do heavily rely on each other, so it’s been healthy to take a step back and think, ‘What do I want?’ As we come together and work together this year, we’ll have an even better and healthier relationship with that perspective. This time’s taught me that I am still figuring out who I am, too. I don’t really know who I am. I used to get scared at that thought, but now I’ve stopped punishing myself for not knowing. It’s beautiful that we’re still a group, but we want to help push each other to do our own thing, too. It’s like a new dawn of Little Mix,” she smiles.

“That’s totally OK,” Perrie reassures Jade – something they do in turn for each other throughout our interview. “We’re not going to know, individually. We’ve always had each other, it’s always Little Mix – it’s us.”

With their signature bop-pops ranging from first single Wings to Black Magic and Shout Out To My Ex, Leigh-Anne rightly states, “We’ve made music to boost people up, make people happy and to inspire them.” And it has combined to create six studio albums, 27 singles – two of which have reached the coveted multi-platinum status – sales of more than 50 million albums and singles worldwide, 100 award nominations, 48 award wins including two Brit Awards, six MTV Europe Music Awards and now four GLAMOUR Women of the Year award.

“We’ve shown that women standing together works, even with all the obstacles in our way. Right from the beginning, we were the dark horse on The X Factor, and no one expected us to do well,” Jade shares. “After that, everyone would say, ‘They’ll do one single and maybe one album and will get dropped.’ We persevered and got through it. We grew and became adult women together. It’s impactful, to show others that you can have longevity, you can break barriers, win awards and break records on the back of sticking together and being a force of women.

Being refreshingly honest about their bond, Leigh-Anne continues, “I do think our sense of sisterhood is better for when we do have **** times together over the years or if we’ve got on each other’s nerves, because it’s never been an option to not be together and we’ve always known that we are sisters. It helps you to learn forgiveness, learn to be more patient and be more compromising because you’re in a group dynamic where it’s literally that or you don’t be together.”

With all these accolades, I am curious to know what has been their proudest personal achievement to date? “One thing we’ve had to do in our careers, which is hard, is to put on a brave face,” Perrie replies. “We’re all going through the worst situations of our lives. We just want to crawl in bed, put the duvet over our heads and just never come out. But you know you’ve got people depending on you, you’ve got three other girls that need you there, you’ve got fans all over the world; you don’t want to get a bad reputation.”

The control of women in the music industry is a hot topic when we speak, due to The New York Times documentary, Framing Britney Spears, which they have all watched and as Leigh-Anne says, “God, it made me angry.” “We spent far too long being patronised, especially by men in the industry,” Jade interjects. Lee-Anne continues: “We’ve always had a voice as a four, we’ve been a force and we’ve always been very, ‘we stick together on things’. But there have been times, like with [music] labels, [where they’ve] backed us into a corner and it is obviously mainly men; they see us as four women and don’t take us seriously. We’ve had that for our whole career. Even until recently. I’m asking, ‘Has much really changed?’”

“Learning to say ‘no’ has been quite a big thing for us,” Jade adds. “For a long time, we were always scared of pissing people off – and you do get backed into a corner and it’s like, ‘Well, if you don’t do this, you can’t have this.’” Perrie jumps in with one telling word: “Blackmail.” Jade agrees, “It’s weird that it still happens, but then all of a sudden when that power is taken away from whoever’s abusing it, you realise, if I just say ‘no’ more often and we stand together with that decision, it works!”

Leigh-Anne concurs, “The realisation, as well, was we are a part of a well-oiled machine. We are pawns in this. People don’t really care about us. When you realise that we have each other, we can look after each other and we know that some people don’t have our best interests at heart – but we are a unit together – we can stand together and stand up for ourselves.”

Little Mix accept their GLAMOUR Women of the Year 2021 award with an exclusive new video interview.

The full interview is on the Glamour UK Website.

glamour-cover-design-woty_little-mix.jpg

glamour-cover-design-woty_little-mix2.jp

glamour-cover-design-woty_little-mix4.jp

glamour-cover-design-woty_little-mix5.jp

glamour-cover-design-woty_little-mix3.jp

rsz_glamour-cover-design-woty_little-mix.jpg.72ee09e437e7d1d1790c093ad946282c.jpg

• Love 7

from the sky, drop like confetti ♫

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To keep it short they are very happy that they are together and have each other and it appears they are in it for the long haul. They have said that they want to help push each other to do their own t

Leigh-Anne just posted this  Perrie:

I'm ready for another album! Confetti was great! And gotta give em props on that live performance of Secret Love Song they did as a trio. amazing

Posted Images

They kind of all say that though. I remember watching interviews the Spicè Girls did in 2000 for their Forever era (after geri left in 1998) and they moaned about people saying this will be their last album and they would break up after it....what happened...it was their last album and broke up like a month after it was released. Steps said the same in 2001, denied it on TV multiple times then like 2 months later announced their split.

I do genuinely think the next album will be the last tbh. They are already venturing into solo projects which is always a telling sign a group is about to split. I love little mix but it's not the same without jesy

• Like 1
14 hours ago, iamsmashed said:

I'm ready for another album! Confetti was great! And gotta give em props on that live performance of Secret Love Song they did as a trio. amazing

Me too! I cannot wait!

I know new music is coming very soon, they've been teasing it! :wink_britney_everytime_white:

• Love 1

from the sky, drop like confetti ♫

So excited to see and head what these ladies have in store for us! I think doing both solo and group projects is a good idea to keep them together but also allow more artistic freedom and styles to emerge :barbie_hair_flip_hairflip_weave_proud_cocky:

Also I can't ever get used to Perrie's eyebrows...:awks_britney_side_eye_awkward_2011_ff_femme_Fatale:

• Love 2

Prediction: At least 1 Little Mix baby will come in 2022 :melt_weird_drift_wow: possibly 2.