Israel's Ministry of Justice comments on Britney's Case

Cosmic Fantasy

I'll try my best to translate from hebrew: 

The movie Framing Britney Spears brought up the topic of conservartorship to the public discussion, and also the question: Does every person with either a mental or cognitive disabillity have to have a conservartor or are there alternatives which put his own will first? In Israel there are two options - having "Supported decision making" or "Continuous power of attorney" that allow decision making independance. 

In Israel, the court is obliged to hear the conservatee. 

Also, 4 years ago the law was amended. the amendment presents a new social approach: emphasis on respecting the person's wishes, hearing the person, collaborative decision making, encouraging independant life and putting the person in the center instead of his disabillity.

Thanks to the amendment, the conservator suggests two alternatives for the conservartorship:
1. Supported decision making: It's important for the person to have autonomy over his own life, and with a goal to protect him, the person supports the conservatee in decision making, in his way to decide what's best suited for him, according to his choice and wishes. This is best suited for people who have a conservartor and wish to remove him.
The supporter's goal is to help with decision that are mandatory in life but also confusing: How to handle your finances, medical decisions, real estate, etc. 
This is for people who can make decisions indenpendently, but need support. Like people with a mental disabillity, people on the autistic spectrum or elderly people.
The supporter is a person who will get the information and explain it, provide you with the array of possibilities, listen to your doubts, counsel you but will leave the final decision in your hands.
2. Continuous power of attorney: A tool for future planning, in which the conservatee decides who will run their business once they can't, and how will he do that. This tool can be a substitute for a conservartorship and can also be done only for medical decisions.

I think it's blessed to have an official government body comment on the case, I just wish it would be someone in the US government, because it would actually help Britney.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived