Britney Spears Had Her Voice Destroyed ... and how it's not her fault!

The problem is Britney sounded very like  Christina in the beginning. They couldn’t have two girls fresh from the MMC with the same voice, similar background and both releasing at similar times. 

Britney’s voice is part of who she became. Her voice is so distinctive because of the way she sings. I’m not saying it makes it right but had she sang in her normal range who’s to say she’d have been as successful. There was already a Christina Aguilera type voice out there. Britney became the epitome of pop music. Regardless of whether Christina was the better singer - Britney had a much bigger and long standing career. She was more successful because she had character and personality. The people became infatuated with Britney. Her voice is part of her legacy. 

• Love 5
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1
  • Super Mods
1 hour ago, MeAgainstTheMusic_ said:

The problem is Britney sounded very like  Christina in the beginning. They couldn’t have two girls fresh from the MMC with the same voice, similar background and both releasing at similar times. 

Britney’s voice is part of who she became. Her voice is so distinctive because of the way she sings. I’m not saying it makes it right but had she sang in her normal range who’s to say she’d have been as successful. There was already a Christina Aguilera type voice out there. Britney became the epitome of pop music. Regardless of whether Christina was the better singer - Britney had a much bigger and long standing career. She was more successful because she had character and personality. The people became infatuated with Britney. Her voice is part of her legacy. 

This is really true tbh. Her voice and overall image really did help her become the pop legend that she is, while Christina just disappeared at one point and had miserable sales; the new generations barely even know or care about her, while Britney continues to intrigue even them. Nearly all the Gen Z kids know Britney's classics, while most of the dont give af about Christina :omggg_shocked_hand_old_lady_woman_surprised:

Britney was marketed REALLY WELL, and that is a fact. However it backfired on her and she became a slave of the industry and people surrounding her. Had the entire situation around her been handled better, I'm pretty sure she would still be dominating the industry effortlessly. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MeAgainstTheMusic_ said:

Christina came out after Britney, Britney could’ve been the “Christina sounding girl” but her label didn’t know how to market a teen girl from the country who sounds like Toni Braxton. 

• Love 3
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, Britman512 said:

Christina came out after Britney, Britney could’ve been the “Christina sounding girl” but her label didn’t know how to market a teen girl from the country who sounds like Toni Braxton. 

Christiana was before Britney spears, her debut single was Reflection as she did the main pop version to the original animated film, why do you think she redid the song and was asked to do a new song for the live action film.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Christiana was before Britney spears, her debut single was Reflection as she did the main pop version to the original animated film, why do you think she redid the song and was asked to do a new song for the live action film.

Interesting, never realized that. :fran_frog_meme_green: Was just reading about it, reflection was released June 1998, baby one more time was released in october 1998 . :imhere_run_excited:

Destroyed is a strong word. I know what you mean, the industry made her sing using this very unnatural technique, but her voice is not destroyed. She wasn't singing using this "baby voice" much during her career, I don't think there was any serious damage to her vocal cords, except from smoking.

Also because of her career, there was no need for her to take singing lessons and develop a right, healthy technique. 

It's not like she's going to be a next Mariah after she learns how to use her voice, but there's some potential that's never been used. I really really hope she'll perform a 100% live concert someday... But I'll wait. 

• Like 3

i said this in a previous thread but i don't think britney was "forced" by anybody to sing the way she does now. people often think her natural voice is a lot deeper than it is because in BOMT demos & some older performances, she was very throaty & lowered her larynx a lot. i really do think her "real" voice lays in between the throaty one and the baby voice. BOMT (the song) is 100% her natural voice with some extra nasality + vocal fry for stylistic purposes. i don't think she was forced by anybody to sing more nasal. producers definitely have preferences, max martin was known for his songs having nasally vocals on it & because both BOMT and Crazy, the biggest songs from the album, had that sound, she stuck with it. OIDIA was basically BOMT 2.0 so it makes sense

edit: i forgot to mention that poor vocal technique is only 1/2 the story. smoking, something britney has done for over 20 years, wreaks havoc on vocalists' voices

• Love 4
  • Like 2
  • 5 months later...
On 2/25/2021 at 1:05 AM, mannequin19 said:

i said this in a previous thread but i don't think britney was "forced" by anybody to sing the way she does now. people often think her natural voice is a lot deeper than it is because in BOMT demos & some older performances, she was very throaty & lowered her larynx a lot. i really do think her "real" voice lays in between the throaty one and the baby voice. BOMT (the song) is 100% her natural voice with some extra nasality + vocal fry for stylistic purposes. i don't think she was forced by anybody to sing more nasal. producers definitely have preferences, max martin was known for his songs having nasally vocals on it & because both BOMT and Crazy, the biggest songs from the album, had that sound, she stuck with it. OIDIA was basically BOMT 2.0 so it makes sense

edit: i forgot to mention that poor vocal technique is only 1/2 the story. smoking, something britney has done for over 20 years, wreaks havoc on vocalists' voices

THANK YOU

On 2/24/2021 at 12:29 PM, Spicechinodiva said:

Reflection was released on june 25th, 1998. It didn't even reach the Hot 100. "Baby One More Time" recording sessions started back in 1997. MAKES NO SENSE when people say Britney's label wanted to set her apart from Christina. I think the only reason was Britney's voice was too deep...

I don't think her voice is ruined at all.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Cardiff1992 said:

Her voice isn’t destroyed 🙄 these ‘experts’ are annoying tbh. Her voice is extremely unique, catchy and versatile. She just isn’t a massive powerhouse like Christina, but she does have power and she is also way more memorable than most other performers of her status. 

Absolutely. Her voice is so unique 

• Love 2
  • Like 1
On 2/24/2021 at 8:51 AM, MeAgainstTheMusic_ said:

Xtina and Britney have the same voice? hahahahahaha come on! :nonono_britney_nope_head_shake: She's a studio singer, and I have no problem with that.
i love britney but i know that really our girl doesn't have a good voice, it's weak and cracking since baby one more time.

She has an average voice that she could work on with training to make it sound better but we already know that her voice was never given importance simply because it wasn't her biggest talent.

Why is it that whenever britney's voice is discussed in a thread, everyone refers to Xtina's voice? 

If so, then we must remember that Britney herself said she would love to have Xtina's voice.

So...

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Alex Murr said:

Xtina and Britney have the same voice? hahahahahaha come on! :nonono_britney_nope_head_shake: She's a studio singer, and I have no problem with that.
i love britney but i know that really our girl doesn't have a good voice, it's weak and cracking since baby one more time.

She has an average voice that she could work on with training to make it sound better but we already know that her voice was never given importance simply because it wasn't her biggest talent.

Why is it that whenever britney's voice is discussed in a thread, everyone refers to Xtina's voice? 

If so, then we must remember that Britney herself said she would love to have Xtina's voice.

So...

In her earlier days Britney had a very low powerful voice and her technique in singing was similar to that of Christina. That’s not me being biased and trying to make her voice out to be better than it is but listen to her on the MMC and in her earlier videos before she was famous - she did have a talent in that she had a good voice. She could really belt. 

By the time she actually released BOMT her voice went really quickly because of the technique she was using to sing in and eventually it just disappeared. Couple that with chain smoking. I’m not saying her voice is like Christina now but back in the day it resembled her especially in Soda Pop I think it sounds very like her. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 2
On 2/24/2021 at 4:05 PM, BUWYGF said:

Britney was marketed REALLY WELL, and that is a fact. However it backfired on her and she became a slave of the industry and people surrounding her. Had the entire situation around her been handled better, I'm pretty sure she would still be dominating the industry effortlessly. 

This tbh.

• Like 2