Mara Wilson shares her opinion on Britney and the industry in a new NYT article

23 hours ago, Watch Me Work It said:

maraspears.jpg.0f51a684a3402aff69137fc6bf9d8a10.jpgThis was such an interesting read! The way media treats young women is heartbreaking. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/23/opinion/britney-spears-mara-wilson-hollywood.html#click=https://t.co/LBdrHs0Pwq

What a b-tch that interviewed her, poor Mara!! How could that journalist be so mean to a little girl, a child?! I would have wanted to listen to her just to be kind and then tell her that I understood and that she deserved a childhood 💔

I loved her so much in Mrs Doubtfire when I was a child, I thought she was so cute, but my heart ached for her because she looked so sad and vulnerable. 

The narrative she describes is so accurate, I remember that. It was for me, my guy friends who were criticising Britney all the time. And even more so guys that weren’t my friends who thought they were So Cool. They bragged about liking “nerdy” girls with brown hair and glasses while ****-shaming Britney, (that girl in “She’s all that” before her transformation was used as an example) insulting her intelligence and talent. And that was supposed to be a “feminist” statement. A lot of girls were like that as well. They always said they were “smart” and “cool” because they were not like that “blond bimbo” Britney Spears. Ironically Britney is more intelligent than any of these people. I remember I rebelled against that “smart girls got to have brown hair and be a rock chic” narrative and still had long, blond hair and just clothes I thought looked good and My God how demeaning both guys and girls were before they got to know me. 

• Love 2
  • Like 3

i remember reading about the foot fetish thing when i was like 9.... its the first thing i associate w her, that ppl like her feet (back then it was a funny anecdote but as an adult its so so wrong and cp)

shes always been outspoken about being a child star and how it affected her and ive respected her for that

Spoiler

tho i really dont like matilda, sorry:yesokay_britney_blush_blink:

Yass Matilda come through!!
That was so beautifully written, and I'm so glad she escaped from Hollywood (even though her experiences are still horrible and creepy as hell).  

She's so right, I remember liking Britney was so taboo and you'd get made fun of for it, but ironically given how popular she was, it's obvious most people were secret fans and just played the stupid card. Heck, even I did that for a little while.

If sweet little Mara went through all that, you can only imagine that crap Britney went through.  

• Love 1