Unpopular Opinion: Christina deserved the Best New Artist award over Britney at the 2000 Grammy Awards.

21 hours ago, Newrie said:

I am only saying what I constantly heard when Genie in a bottle came out. 
No I don’t like her, because I hate horrible music and where artists are greatly overrated. When I google I find like tons of videos, articles and threads from people who are saying the same thing. Christina is very overrated. And I think it is because she is white and was blond when she came out. Aka, she could ride the Britney wave. And be some kind of anti-Britney, even though I know that it was Avril Lavigne who actually was branded that, literally. Even this post says that Christina was the anti-Britney. Pitting them against eachother and then saying that Christina could “sing”. And I am saying her voice is unbearable and apparently I am not alone. 

This is what I hear when she comes on. The reason I switch or quickly turn off it. Christina Screaming

I dont remember her being called anti-Britney in 99 at all by the media and other people. 

Why does it matter what a lot of people on the internet say about her? A lot of people also say Britney isnt talented and was never that good at dancing. They also say Britney is famous/successful only bc shes white. Does it make this true? U do think her music is horrible, but many others dont. Its called an opinion. 

Christina got a record deal and had songs before BOMT was out. She was chosen to sing Reflection bc she was able to hit a difficult note at 18 years old. She sang the national anthem many times as a child. During MMC she was the one others members knew she would make it. A lot of people inside the industry could see her talent since she was a child. U see, I think shes actually underrated. 

9 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

I don't know why I agree with you so much (I'm trolling in my other comments aside from the E-Mail My Heart supremacy. :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle:), like i love how you call out all this bias and double standards Britney fans give Britney but then act all petty towards artists who have achieved more or have more skill in another area. :mimiclap_mariah_clapping_applause_proud_yes_Yas:

That's because even though I stan for Britney, I'm not delusional.  I know Britney's voice isn't anything special.  Hell, even Britney herself knows this and admitted her voice is just ok. 

Some people here need to get a reality check. Criticizing Christina's vocal technique while stanning for someone that barely has one to begin with is hilariously petty.

It's like a Janet Jackson stan criticizing Whitney Houston's voice.  How do you even begin to argue with such people?  I can't:haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

On 2/24/2021 at 4:43 AM, mannequin19 said:

i honestly agree christina deserved it.  britney had more songs out, therefore being more successful technically but at the time, i would definitely say GIAB was a bigger hit than BOMT (although we know which one had a bigger impact & is more iconic). 

BOMT was #1 for two weeks while GIAB was #1 for 5 weeks. based on those two songs alone (the only song xtina was eligible for), christina outperformed. 

i definitely prefer britney’s music + overall style but christina was very different to britney in a way that made it easier for critics to like her more. she was a serious vocalist who was edgier than britney. her album, while still bubblegum pop, had a lot more r&b notes than BOMT. her music appealed more to older audiences than britney’s.

while these songs weren’t eligible for the 2000 grammys, it’s crazy to think about how xtina’s album really tore up the charts. she got 3 #1s and another top 3 song. i think britney definitely had more fans but christina appealed a bit more to casual listeners as well as older people.

in hindsight, i totally see why people would think britney deserved it. after all, BOMT is such an iconic album & many of its visuals + singles are still referenced today. in the context of the time, however, i feel like it makes sense as to why christina won

But bomt the single and album sold way more than GIAB/CA back then and in the following years, so GIAB never outperformed BOMT overall.

9 hours ago, davidspears said:

Christina had a much more successful string of singles than Britney did in America.

I believe she had 3 out of 4 go to number one.

BOMT the single and album still outsold GIAB/CA tho.

No. Did Xtina deserve a Grammy? Of course. For vocals. For best news artist? No. The beginning of Xtina’s career was obviously her record label trying to make her be like Britney. She’s even talked about how they wanted her to be virginal and how that first album wasn’t really her. I think Britney was still being true to herself. And when every single record label is coming out with their own blonde teen and having them sing catchy pop songs with “bowling pin formation” dancer videos? I mean, Britney obviously set a trend and changed things. Pink didn’t complain about being compared to Xtina... also, Xtina has a great voice, but Britney changed the game in so many ways, and while not everyone may like the way she sings, it’s certainly unique and a lot more singers stated using vocal fry in their songs after Britney. 

• Like 2

I agree with OP. Christina should’ve won the Grammy for Best New Artist. No shade to Britney or the other nominees. You have to consider the time. To a lot of ppl Xtina had the potential to have the sustained success and career longevity of someone like Mariah Carey. Xtina’s voice is extraordinary (when she’s not screaming!)

On the other hand, Britney was viewed as a gimmick, a flash in the pan that was not going to have longevity and ppl assumed she’d be the millennial version of Debbie Gibson, not another Madonna. Xtina’s first album is pretty sold vocally and production wise. It’s teen pop but with an subtly mature r&b vibe. Britney’s BOMT album is more playful and bubblegum pop.

So, IMO that year it rly came down to these 2 artists, Britney the entertainer vs Christina the vocalist. Most people in the industry at that time preferred the vocalist as they’re the ones who tend to garner more respect and are viewed as “real artists”. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, generation glory said:

I agree with OP. Christina should’ve won the Grammy for Best New Artist. No shade to Britney or the other nominees. You have to consider the time. To a lot of ppl Xtina had the potential to have the sustained success and career longevity of someone like Mariah Carey. Xtina’s voice is extraordinary (when she’s not screaming!)

On the other hand, Britney was viewed as a gimmick, a flash in the pan that was not going to have longevity and ppl assumed she’d be the millennial version of Debbie Gibson, not another Madonna. Xtina’s first album is pretty sold vocally and production wise. It’s teen pop but with an subtly mature r&b vibe. Britney’s BOMT album is more playful and bubblegum pop.

So, IMO that year it rly came down to these 2 artists, Britney the entertainer vs Christina the vocalist. Most people in the industry at that time preferred the vocalist as they’re the ones who tend to garner more respect and are viewed as “real artists”. 

Britney was told by label executives,  the public wanted Acts like the Spice girls, Backstreet boys. Etc..

She was also denied because people in the industry remembered Paula Abdul (at the time was a has been, dropped by Virgin, cos the third album flopped), and Debbie Gibson faded off as well, and they're weren't going to be another Madonna, so Warner Bros (Home to Madonna,  denied her), Virgin/EMI said No, RCA Records said no, and so did Columbia records,  it was just An independent label Jive that saw something. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, mythology said:

That's because even though I stan for Britney, I'm not delusional.  I know Britney's voice isn't anything special.  Hell, even Britney herself knows this and admitted her voice is just ok. 

Some people here need to get a reality check. Criticizing Christina's vocal technique while stanning for someone that barely has one to begin with is hilariously petty.

It's like a Janet Jackson stan criticizing Whitney Houston's voice.  How do you even begin to argue with such people?  I can't:haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

Ffs, Britney’s voice IS something special. You are really inside a box this whole time because when you laugh and try to argue you misunderstand completely what ”unique” means. This is like The 5th time I am saying It, let’s see if you manage to read It now:

”Unique” does not mean ”She could get accepted into a Royal Opera ensemble or, ”in a technical competition of all singers that have ever lived, who has The most powerful voice”. 

You can have a voice that gets you accepted in to a church choir you have to audition for, even the most famous church choir in the world where it is HARD to get accepted, and you can be accepted there without having a UNIQUE voice, it is enough that you have really good technique, always sing on tune and can control your voice in a highly professional way. And no, Christina Appropriation is NOT one of the most accomplished in this area either. 

A unique voice is having a distinct voice that you recognize immediately. That’s it! It does NOT say anything about how powerful  it is, how much someone wails, how big of a range you got etc. Again, Bob ******* Dylan, maybe you haven’t heard music that is not pop from the 90s and forward, but he is one of the most famous singer&songwriters that there is. And he hardly even sings, his voice is like inside just one octave, using 3 notes in the middle. No vocal training whatsoever.

But he still has a unique voice and it is actually crucial to his success. If he had started to sing like Luciano Pavarotti in the middle of his career it would have died. Okay?

Britney has a unique voice. (Understand what I mean by “unique” now?) She also has a beautiful tone, a warm tone and she catches your feelings when she sings. That is why so many people are saying that she has helped them be who they are and stand up for themselves. If she had had a cold tone and lacked the ability to connect with her voice (to people’s feelings) she would not have gotten so many fans.

You say Christina is underrated but yet both you and everyone else in the thread just credit her for being able to wail octaves up and down (screaming and sounding strained the whole time though), I haven’t seen one person say “I cry when I hear her sing”, “She has been the most important person in my life in order to believe in myself”. Not “her voice is beautiful, it is like heaven listening to it”. It is always “Hey, her range is bigger than Britney’s”, “she can sing really loud”, “this is a list of her prices”. 

And yes, Britney is also white but she hasn’t, unlike Justin and Aguilera, been appropriating black culture as they have. At least not near as much. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Newrie said:

Ffs, Britney’s voice IS something special. You are really inside a box this whole time because when you laugh and try to argue you misunderstand completely what ”unique” means. This is like The 5th time I am saying It, let’s see if you manage to read It now:

”Unique” does not mean ”She could get accepted into a Royal Opera ensemble or, ”in a technical competition of all singers that have ever lived, who has The most powerful voice”. 

You can have a voice that gets you accepted in to a church choir you have to audition for, even the most famous church choir in the world where it is HARD to get accepted, and you can be accepted there without having a UNIQUE voice, it is enough that you have really good technique, always sing on tune and can control your voice in a highly professional way. And no, Christina Appropriation is NOT one of the most accomplished in this area either. 

A unique voice is having a distinct voice that you recognize immediately. That’s it! It does NOT say anything about how powerful  it is, how much someone wails, how big of a range you got etc. Again, Bob ******* Dylan, maybe you haven’t heard music that is not pop from the 90s and forward, but he is one of the most famous singer&songwriters that there is. And he hardly even sings, his voice is like inside just one octave, using 3 notes in the middle. No vocal training whatsoever.

But he still has a unique voice and it is actually crucial to his success. If he had started to sing like Luciano Pavarotti in the middle of his career it would have died. Okay?

Britney has a unique voice. (Understand what I mean by “unique” now?) She also has a beautiful tone, a warm tone and she catches your feelings when she sings. That is why so many people are saying that she has helped them be who they are and stand up for themselves. If she had had a cold tone and lacked the ability to connect with her voice (to people’s feelings) she would not have gotten so many fans.

You say Christina is underrated but yet both you and everyone else in the thread just credit her for being able to wail octaves up and down (screaming and sounding strained the whole time though), I haven’t seen one person say “I cry when I hear her sing”, “She has been the most important person in my life in order to believe in myself”. Not “her voice is beautiful, it is like heaven listening to it”. It is always “Hey, her range is bigger than Britney’s”, “she can sing really loud”, “this is a list of her prices”. 

And yes, Britney is also white but she hasn’t, unlike Justin and Aguilera, been appropriating black culture as they have. At least not near as much. 

Britney sounds like a chipmunk high off helium most of the time, and that's when she's not singing off key and her voice isn't cracking all over the place. 

Unique isn't always good when you sounds bad most of the time, sweetheart.  Try harder:haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

2 hours ago, mythology said:

Britney sounds like a chipmunk high off helium most of the time, and that's when she's not singing off key and her voice isn't cracking all over the place. 

Unique isn't always good when you sounds bad most of the time, sweetheart.  Try harder:haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

Ok, that’s Actually a stupid thing to say because OBVIOUSLY it is a good thing. It is the reason became such a superstar. You really seem to not understand that if Britney sang like Celine Dion she wouldn’t have become so iconic and huge. Wtf, do you honestly not understand that her unique tone is what makes her success together with her creativity, personality, charisma, songwriting, expression etc. But she needs that voice and that sound too. Really. All mega artists does. How da Duck can you say “unique is not always a good thing” when she is the princess of pop? She obviously made it and was always much bigger than Christina Appropriation.

Here is an iconic song, by an iconic artist, that most other artists and musicians and songwriters look up to. Unique, not the one that got accepted to the town’s best choir.

Here is another big artist that made it and she does not sing like Celine Dion either;

Madonna, one of the biggest stars ever. She does not have the greatest range, is not wailing all over (she can’t). 

And here is Aguilera embarrassing Whitney’s memory by trying to do this song justice the way Whitney sang it (passionate and big) 

and it is not good! She sings off key several times throughout the performance and it just isn’t beautiful. And the “technique” is all she got. She’s got absolutely zero warmth or ability to make people feel strong emotions while listening/watching. Whitney could do that. She had it all.

Dolly Parton sang it much better than Christina, here is a live performance. No excessive oversinging and showing off (narcissistic singing), she is 100% right on key, CONSISTENT and BEAUTIFUL and WARM. Iconic. 

Finally, THIS IS GOOD. It is unique, she is great! She does not sing bad either, it is pretty and it is very personal, unique and, yes, ICONIC. 

Btw, what you wrote about Britney was so disrespectful you’d think you’re Aguilera’s burner account and not a Britney fan. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, Newrie said:

Ok, that’s Actually a stupid thing to say because OBVIOUSLY it is a good thing. It is the reason became such a superstar. You really seem to not understand that if Britney sang like Celine Dion she wouldn’t have become so iconic and huge. Wtf, do you honestly not understand that her unique tone is what makes her success together with her creativity, personality, charisma, songwriting, expression etc. But she needs that voice and that sound too. Really. All mega artists does. How da Duck can you say “unique is not always a good thing” when she is the princess of pop? She obviously made it and was always much bigger than Christina Appropriation.

Here is an iconic song, by an iconic artist, that most other artists and musicians and songwriters look up to. Unique, not the one that got accepted to the town’s best choir.

Here is another big artist that made it and she does not sing like Celine Dion either;

Madonna, one of the biggest stars ever. She does not have the greatest range, is not wailing all over (she can’t). 

And here is Aguilera embarrassing Whitney’s memory by trying to do this song justice the way Whitney sang it (passionate and big) 

and it is not good! She sings off key several times throughout the performance and it just isn’t beautiful. And the “technique” is all she got. She’s got absolutely zero warmth or ability to make people feel strong emotions while listening/watching. Whitney could do that. She had it all.

Dolly Parton sang it much better than Christina, here is a live performance. No excessive oversinging and showing off (narcissistic singing), she is 100% right on key, CONSISTENT and BEAUTIFUL and WARM. Iconic. 

Finally, THIS IS GOOD. It is unique, she is great! She does not sing bad either, it is pretty and it is very personal, unique and, yes, ICONIC. 

Btw, what you wrote about Britney was so disrespectful you’d think you’re Aguilera’s burner account and not a Britney fan. 

You're reaching.  Britney isn't a vocalist.  Why do you think she never sings live and had a backup singer do the main vocals for an entire album? 

She's not a good singer, period and any fan can admit this.  Our fave was an amazing performer/dancer, one of the best I'd argue, but she was never respected as a vocalist, and for good reason.

You criticize Christina's voice, yet she is capable of singing live and sounding amazing. She doesn't hide her voice.  She doesn't have a backup singer sing her entire album for her.  She's known as the voice of the generation for a reason, while the general public thinks Britney can't sing. 

Deal with it.

• Haha 1