Unpopular Opinion: Christina deserved the Best New Artist award over Britney at the 2000 Grammy Awards.

If anyone were to get it that night it should of been Lauryn Hill. If she would of won it would of added to the curse myth cause she never released another album. Which actually just went Diamond 💎 so shout out to Lauryn Hill. Choosing Christina proved how much the Grammys has always been out of touch.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Newrie said:

WHAT?! Do you think music is about a technical song contest? No! It is about how you feel listening to it. Whitney Houston had a fantastic voice and it was because she had the ability to speak to your emotions when singing AND because her tone was beautiful AND because she technically was outstanding. Christina does not speak to anyone’s feelings when screaming, I can’t imagine that. I only see comments like this where people are basically saying “well she has a bigger range than Britney and can belt louder”. That’s not being a great singer, performer or artist. Secondly, Christina’s voice is ugly. I like everything from Joan Baez to Courtney Love to Janis Joplin to Britney, so it is not that I don’t appreciate a strong female voice like Janis’s or Courtney’s, but those two have voices that feels great to listen to, both aesthetically and emotionally. I actually can’t think of another female singer that I think sound ugly and like, honestly makes me sick when I hear it, I have never been able to bear hearing it, I had to change the channel/radio station/song etc. 

*Edit* 

I think Katy Perry has quite an unpleasant voice as well, and so know some others as well. Not as bad as Christina’s. 

And then, I can’t see any charisma in her. Like Whitney was captivating, so is Britney, Janis, Courtney, Shakira etc. She doesn’t have “it” and I really don’t think she would have been known today if it wasn’t that it was known that she knew Britney from childhood and because she was so jealous of her so the media could get juicy slandering from her about Britney. And her songs suck. Really. As a music lover and very sensitive to music I appreciate most genres, but Christina’s “songs” lack a soul. They are just written to tell about literal, trivial things and they are designed so she can scream-wail up and down with her ugly voice that sounds like a hedgehog roadkill.

Someone who does not have the greatest voice ever but still is a super star is Shakira. She evokes emotions, she is charismatic, she is unique, she has “it”. 

Awkward Mean Girls GIF

Christina only started shading Britney in 2003 tho... By then, she already had two big albums/eras.

8 hours ago, descg said:

WTF What a comparation...

Objectively Christina catalog its more diverse and her image was changed all the time and was more chamaleon and for some people its better artist.

But a don't wanna continues to Britney vs Xtina conversation, i like both, its to boring and simple, and this is a Britney forum.

Diverse? How is that relevant? It isn’t. Beethoven wasn’t ”diverse”, you know it’s Beethoven when you hear his symphonies and he was a genius. 

The comparison is relevant because you said that it is impossible to be objective about music. Funny that you still try and argue for having some objective truth about Christina’s scream-tunes. 

15 minutes ago, Bundy said:

Christina only started shading Britney in 2003 tho... By then, she already had two big albums/eras.

But, she was known only as some kind of anti-Britney. Aka, her whole fame was like “this is a Britney look-a-like who can sing scream better”. I remember this, I was maybe 12-14 and this was what was said in the media and how my friends and people at school talked about it. Someone would say “she is just a Britney copy”, next person said “but she sing better” and third person said “I don’t think she sings, I think she screams”. Kind of like this thread.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, britbratt12 said:

If anyone were to get it that night it should of been Lauryn Hill. If she would of won it would of added to the curse myth cause she never released another album. Which actually just went Diamond 💎 so shout out to Lauryn Hill. Choosing Christina proved how much the Grammys has always been out of touch.

Oh yes. She is a great artist. And since it has been so relevant to value voice quality, Lauren’s voice is light years better than Screamtina. Macy Gray as well as someone said. That’s music. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Newrie said:

But, she was known only as some kind of anti-Britney. Aka, her whole fame was like “this is a Britney look-a-like who can sing scream better”. I remember this, I was maybe 12-14 and this was what was said in the media and how my friends and people at school talked about it. Someone would say “she is just a Britney copy”, next person said “but she sing better” and third person said “I don’t think she sings, I think she screams”. Kind of like this thread.

I dont remember her being called anti-Brirney in 99/00 at all. The first ones called like that were Pink and Avril. 

And yeah, Britney got big first, but Christina already had My Reflection before BOMT. She already had a career. I understand u dont like her, but A LOT of people think she is talented and thats why she had a career since she was a child, just like Britney. Since 2001 she started proving she was very different from Britney and was very successful on her own. BTB was a great era and that had nothing to do with Britney considering she didnt even mention Britney anymore at the time and no one was calling her anti-Britney or comparing them anymore. 

I agree so much with whoever made this video Christina Aguilera only screams, live compilation

Thread on Lipstick Alley from someone who understands music and singing. I so agree with this person. It is only because Christina is white she is so overrated. The bar is so low. If she had not been white, no one would ever had said that she can sing. 
This is supposedly the “voice of her generation.” She is a HORRIBLE vocalist. I have never heard such horrible technique. She didn’t even make it 10 years before her voice (and overall talent) went to ****. She really is worthless and pathetic.

This is what happens when you let these pseudo soul singers aka yt women come to the cookout. She spent so much of her being a culture biting opportunist, stealing ALL her vocal inflections and runs from Black women…and she can’t even do the **** now. How dreadful.

***** did not make it 10 years. I wonder if that’s why she’s relegated to Vegas cabaret act WHILE The Queen Mary J. is getting oscar nominations and successfully transitioning over to Hollywood MOVIE icon.

Let’s talk about it.” /thread from Lipstick Alley. 
Lipstick Alley thread

👆 Link up There.

3 minutes ago, Bundy said:

I dont remember her being called anti-Brirney in 99/00 at all. The first ones called like that were Pink and Avril. 

And yeah, Britney got big first, but Christina already had My Reflection before BOMT. She already had a career. I understand u dont like her, but A LOT of people think she is talented and thats why she had a career since she was a child, just like Britney. Since 2001 she started proving she was very different from Britney and was very successful on her own. BTB was a great era and that had nothing to do with Britney considering she didnt even mention Britney anymore at the time and no one was calling her anti-Britney or comparing them anymore. 

I am only saying what I constantly heard when Genie in a bottle came out. 
No I don’t like her, because I hate horrible music and where artists are greatly overrated. When I google I find like tons of videos, articles and threads from people who are saying the same thing. Christina is very overrated. And I think it is because she is white and was blond when she came out. Aka, she could ride the Britney wave. And be some kind of anti-Britney, even though I know that it was Avril Lavigne who actually was branded that, literally. Even this post says that Christina was the anti-Britney. Pitting them against eachother and then saying that Christina could “sing”. And I am saying her voice is unbearable and apparently I am not alone. 

This is what I hear when she comes on. The reason I switch or quickly turn off it. Christina Screaming

i honestly agree christina deserved it.  britney had more songs out, therefore being more successful technically but at the time, i would definitely say GIAB was a bigger hit than BOMT (although we know which one had a bigger impact & is more iconic). 

BOMT was #1 for two weeks while GIAB was #1 for 5 weeks. based on those two songs alone (the only song xtina was eligible for), christina outperformed. 

i definitely prefer britney’s music + overall style but christina was very different to britney in a way that made it easier for critics to like her more. she was a serious vocalist who was edgier than britney. her album, while still bubblegum pop, had a lot more r&b notes than BOMT. her music appealed more to older audiences than britney’s.

while these songs weren’t eligible for the 2000 grammys, it’s crazy to think about how xtina’s album really tore up the charts. she got 3 #1s and another top 3 song. i think britney definitely had more fans but christina appealed a bit more to casual listeners as well as older people.

in hindsight, i totally see why people would think britney deserved it. after all, BOMT is such an iconic album & many of its visuals + singles are still referenced today. in the context of the time, however, i feel like it makes sense as to why christina won

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, mythology said:

Christina had a better quality album overall, and much stronger vocals than our fave's.  Floptina is the better singer and her album proved that easily.  We just have to deal:crying2_britney_crying_tears_2003_diane_sobbing_sad:

You must be tone-deaf. 1.17 is too funny. The soldiers looks like they are being tortured Another screaming compilation

Her “music” was actually used for torturing.! Christina Aguilera’s music was used for torturing prisoners at Guantanamo.

Having a powerful voice does not make anyone a better singer. Like Dolly Parton is also a musical genius, just as much as Courtney Love is. She is actually more of a genius since she have written so many amazing songs. If you just scream and strain your voice, does not actually transfer any emotions that moves people and brings them to another sphere/world, it isn’t actually music. Everyone who “defends” Christina as a musician in this thread are trying to justify it as something objective but none of you are saying that she has moved you in any way, and that is the only reason singers get a God-like status.