Unpopular Opinion: Christina deserved the Best New Artist award over Britney at the 2000 Grammy Awards.

• Exhale+
1 hour ago, Hungry Hun said:

Thank God Britney didnt receive the BNA award. A lot of one hit wonders got it and where are they now? This award almost always works like a curse. When you think that Megahn Trainor got it and her relevance nowadays is zero, none, nada, niente, rien, ничего, 何もない, 아무것도.... :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

And honestly, even tho Xtina still had 2 successful eras post-new artist grammy era, the curse must have come around later considering that when she flopped she didnt just flopped, she actually FLOPPED below the flop standards :deadbanana_pbj_peanut_butter_jelly_time_yellow:

• Love 1
  • Haha 3
  • Like 1

“The one and only...Olive Oildrigo :yesplease_yas_agree_preach:

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the documentary said, Britney made pop cool again.  And she was a girl.  Back then, it was all about boys and and boy bands.  I think Britney deserved it, especially with how successful BOMT and it

Jessica Simpson should have won

Thank God Britney didnt receive the BNA award. A lot of one hit wonders got it and where are they now? This award almost always works like a curse. When you think that Megahn Trainor got it and her re

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

And honestly, even tho Xtina still had 2 successful eras post-new artist grammy era, the curse must have come around later considering that when she flopped she didnt just flopped, she actually FLOPPED below the flop standards :deadbanana_pbj_peanut_butter_jelly_time_yellow:

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I think the criticism was what made her take that attitude towards her early music. Back in 2002, when she was in Mexico, she said in an interview that Oops was one of her favorite songs, but I guess at some point they just made her feel embarrassed about that whole pop kind of music, thus in ITZ she ended up working with other producers and writers, instead of working with Max Martin again. Which I think it's very unfair, because nowadays we see all these girls that have been working with Max for I don't know how many records in a row, and nobody criticizes them. 

But isn't OIDA her best rated album? :saywat-towelney:

• Love 1

RCA paid for that Grammy and you can’t tell me otherwise. The Grammy committee has always looked down at Britney which is a shame since she broke open the door for all the young pop females to do their thang. But regardless, Christina winning over Britney didn’t really prove much. Britney will always be the legend she is. 

• Love 2
  • Like 3
30 minutes ago, BryanJames said:

But isn't OIDA her best rated album? :saywat-towelney:

but that's not what you would hear among the general public, those that wanted to be cool 

I mean, in general her first three records were always criticized by many, to this day many people don't see her as a serious artist, because they think there cannot be any talent, effort, art in pop music, despite being the most catchy, easy to digest and relatable kind of music. I think that's why she ultimately ended up looking for alternative sounds in her following albums, when the logical thing would be to stick to what was selling the most, like current girls do. 

• Love 1

I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean

In my opinion Britney deserve these awards:

1. Baby one more time & Oops I did it again - Best pop Ablum and pop songs

2. Overprotected - Best pop Song

3. In the zone - Album of the year

4. Toxic - Best pop song

5. Blackout - Album of the year

6. Gimmi more - Best pop song of the year

• Love 2
  • Exhale+

Xtinas early career was nothing but an off-brand Britney spinoff designed to cash in on the trends other artists were setting, mainly Britney. Sure, the girl can sing and she has carved out her own identity over the years, but to think that she brought any genuine artistry to the table in the early years is laughable :ricackle_rihanna_laugh_lol_haha_lmao_hehe:

• Love 1
  • Like 7

Grammy's are a joke. Why? Because the categories are random and there's no clear criteria to choose the artists both as nominees as well as winners.

WHAT makes a best new artist? Xtina was always the "best" vocalist (in the sense that she can scr---I mean BELT notes I guess?), but that doesn't make her the best vocal performer (btw, to this day her best record is "Stripped", in which she shows a wide range in her singing and doesn't always scream like a maniac). Also, being an artist means being a good performer on stage, and dancing or playing a musical instrument or simply being magnetic with your image... And in that sense, Britney.beats.them.all. Always have, always will. I love Xtina but take a back seat girl, she'll forever be the second best. A great artist, but always behind Britney.

Basically, to me the best artists are the one who have GLOBAL appeal and actual cultural impact... With that being said, who's the "best" one? Yes, Britney.

But Xtina can take the Grammy, who cares.

• Love 3
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

As a fan of both I never really cared either way. But I understand why they picked Christina. Its the Grammys and back then they had more standards then they have today. I think because of the lipsyncing and dancing they put Britney in a bubblegum pop 1-2 year wonder category. They didnt have much to judge Christina on but they knew she could sing and therefor saw her as "more talented" because the Grammys dont give a **** about dancing. Its easier to say years later who had the more successful career but its harder to do that when they first come out.

• Love 1
  • Like 3

Baby One More Time was revolutionary.  Christina had several solid pop songs on her debut, but Baby One More Time is a better album, even with the Come On Over and What a Girl Wants re-recordings.  Christina certainly has a once-in-a-lifetime voice, but that's only one part of a musician's artistry.  Christina's first singles, image, and early career were all shaped by Britney's success (sometimes unfairly).

Christina's music was also much more "of the time" - R&B tinged with lots of melisma.  Baby One More Time sounded like nothing on the radio.

Both were great in their own right, but time has proven Baby One More Time to be the more lasting album and Britney the more influential artist.  I think history will remember the 2000 Best New Artist Grammy as a miss.

Just my two cents :imcute_britney_ftr_for_the_record_hat_paris_french_smile_grin_happy:

• Love 3
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, FemmeFataleBrit said:

Even with only one single out, it was clear Christina had a brilliant voice one that already put her into a league of her own. 

At the time, Britney was way more loved and supported and of course she had way more commercial success, but I feel like her success was viewed as a phase or a trend and ... Baby One More Time was seen as another catchy pop song. 

So even though if this was awarded today, I’d 100% choose Britney, for back then, I feel like Christina deserved it more. 

What do you guys think? 

BnC.thumb.JPG.02a7671688cb30148cee6638ffe32b3a.JPG

WHAT?! Do you think music is about a technical song contest? No! It is about how you feel listening to it. Whitney Houston had a fantastic voice and it was because she had the ability to speak to your emotions when singing AND because her tone was beautiful AND because she technically was outstanding. Christina does not speak to anyone’s feelings when screaming, I can’t imagine that. I only see comments like this where people are basically saying “well she has a bigger range than Britney and can belt louder”. That’s not being a great singer, performer or artist. Secondly, Christina’s voice is ugly. I like everything from Joan Baez to Courtney Love to Janis Joplin to Britney, so it is not that I don’t appreciate a strong female voice like Janis’s or Courtney’s, but those two have voices that feels great to listen to, both aesthetically and emotionally. I actually can’t think of another female singer that I think sound ugly and like, honestly makes me sick when I hear it, I have never been able to bear hearing it, I had to change the channel/radio station/song etc. 

*Edit* 

I think Katy Perry has quite an unpleasant voice as well, and so know some others as well. Not as bad as Christina’s. 

And then, I can’t see any charisma in her. Like Whitney was captivating, so is Britney, Janis, Courtney, Shakira etc. She doesn’t have “it” and I really don’t think she would have been known today if it wasn’t that it was known that she knew Britney from childhood and because she was so jealous of her so the media could get juicy slandering from her about Britney. And her songs suck. Really. As a music lover and very sensitive to music I appreciate most genres, but Christina’s “songs” lack a soul. They are just written to tell about literal, trivial things and they are designed so she can scream-wail up and down with her ugly voice that sounds like a hedgehog roadkill.

Someone who does not have the greatest voice ever but still is a super star is Shakira. She evokes emotions, she is charismatic, she is unique, she has “it”. 

Awkward Mean Girls GIF

• Love 1
  • Haha 3
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Thats an overstatement. If there is anything she has ever hated, it was Myah Marie Jean but Britney has always cherished most of the records she has ever released and doesn't thrown them under the bus.

But she hates Sometimes. 

:awks_britney_side_eye_awkward_2011_ff_femme_Fatale:

5 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Thats an overstatement. If there is anything she has ever hated, it was Myah Marie Jean but Britney has always cherished most of the records she has ever released and doesn't thrown them under the bus.

Does she like Femme Fatale or Circus ? :cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek:

• Like 1