Unpopular Opinion: Christina deserved the Best New Artist award over Britney at the 2000 Grammy Awards.

Even with only one single out, it was clear Christina had a brilliant voice one that already put her into a league of her own. 

At the time, Britney was way more loved and supported and of course she had way more commercial success, but I feel like her success was viewed as a phase or a trend and ... Baby One More Time was seen as another catchy pop song. 

So even though if this was awarded today, I’d 100% choose Britney, for back then, I feel like Christina deserved it more. 

What do you guys think? 

BnC.thumb.JPG.02a7671688cb30148cee6638ffe32b3a.JPG

• Love 1
  • Haha 6
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, FemmeFataleBrit said:

What do you guys think? 

I think Christina's first album is pretty basic one, tbh... so, it was a little incomprehensible to me why she won with that type of album.

I believe marketing had played a big role... unlike Britney, Xtina was marketed as a more serious artist.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, G-unit said:

As the documentary said, Britney made pop cool again.  And she was a girl.  Back then, it was all about boys and and boy bands.  I think Britney deserved it, especially with how successful BOMT and its visual were.  A great voice doesn’t necessarily mean a better artist.  It’s especially sad now that Xtina is one of those artists that kind of denounce their earlier work because it “wasn’t them”.  Britney still loves and supports BOMT to this day.  I think Britney deserved it more.

That’s my point. She was seen as a new trend pop girl just like Madonna was and I’m pretty sure most people thought she’d fade away shortly after ... BOMT. 

As someone above said, Christina was marketed as a serious vocalist and not as a fun, pop girl. 

Britney was better overall, the look the videos the imagery the music, but they gave it to Christina cause of her voice which like an above user said isn’t all it takes to be the best. In hindsight it should’ve went to britney if u consider what she was putting out from 98-04. I think her work is still top notch (blackout is her best) post 2004 I think in a way it became too obvious she did this as a side gig while the other artists in the category had passion for every release since

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Blackout2006 said:

Thats an overstatement. If there is anything she has ever hated, it was Myah Marie Jean but Britney has always cherished most of the records she has ever released and doesn't thrown them under the bus.

She looked embarassed by OIDA during Carpool Karaoke though. :lizzie_oops_dancing_red_maguire_hillary_duff:

Never singing your own song live as a singer is like throwing it under the bus imo. :eheeek_britney_unsure_ew_gross_um_awkward_embarrassed_cringe: 

19 minutes ago, BryanJames said:

She looked embarassed by OIDA during Carpool Karaoke though. :lizzie_oops_dancing_red_maguire_hillary_duff:

Never singing your own song live as a singer is like throwing it under the bus imo. :eheeek_britney_unsure_ew_gross_um_awkward_embarrassed_cringe: 

I think the criticism was what made her take that attitude towards her early music. Back in 2002, when she was in Mexico, she said in an interview that Oops was one of her favorite songs, but I guess at some point they just made her feel embarrassed about that whole pop kind of music, thus in ITZ she ended up working with other producers and writers, instead of working with Max Martin again. Which I think it's very unfair, because nowadays we see all these girls that have been working with Max for I don't know how many records in a row, and nobody criticizes them. 

• Love 1
  • Like 7