New BreatheHeavy live stream TODAY at 2:30 pm PT

One-click subscribe to our YouTube channel!

This Day in Pop: Britney Spears performs at the 42nd Grammy Awards in 2000 (February 23)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 4:50 AM, Intheblue said:

The microphone squeak at :27 during FTBOMBH always bugged me as well as her breathing during the chorus . BOMT should have had pre recorded vocals and what they did with the background singers belting the last chorus was not okay. Not my favorite , but I do overall appreciate that it was half live

omg 100% agree with full statement 

• Love 1

Some flubs in this performance with the screeching microphone and some flat notes, along with a funny shot of her running out from underneath the dancers lol

Overall a good performance. The robots dancing and the breakdown are kind of cheesy but I mean, Britney gave choreo, looks and a futuristic concept that was in at the time...:oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

Unfortunately I feel this performance has been all but forgotten by the fanbase

The first Grammy Awards I ever watched. Being a Britney fan at that time was immensely exciting. I always loved her red carpet look. What a bombshell. 

I definitely felt dissappointed when Britney lost to Christina--plus I knew I'd never hear the end of it in 9th grade. The microphone squeak has me cringing for over 20 years but I really liked the robots at the time and and actually thought the blaring background singers were Britney's natural voice since I was relatively new to stanning and lip-sync understanding. I agree with many that the dance break was a bit cringe too at the time but watching it now, it's actually a reminder that the fans haven't always loved Britney's choreography. She executes it really well and the performance screams QUEEN to me when I watch it.