Was the conservatorship an attempt to save the unraveling brand for the fan base

MyAccountGotBanned

I don’t know how many people are old enough to remember 2006-2008 in Britney world. She was unraveling the image and brand her team created.

Fans were having melt downs when she wouldn’t attend award shows she was scheduled to appear at, the gimme more video, kfed, Matt lauer interview look, kiss fm black out promo, gimme more vma performance, chaotic, go to the light and see Jesus, break the ice video, Cheetos, shar Jackson, Jason Alexander wedding .. 

girl was in pain and sick of the brand but the whole fan base and media were not ready to let her go. everyone thought they owned her. The view celebrated her divorce as it being the return to the Britney we all knew and loved 

the conservatorship at the time of for the record seemed to show Britney as back to what we wanted and expected and she had several big eras after that . Fans ate it up .

looking back if she kept unraveling the brand I wonder how she would be perceived by the fan base and media now?

it seemed obvious she wanted out atleast for some time ... even she said Keri hilsons background vocals sounded like her anyways so whatever .. and the conservatorship forced her back ...

I’d like to think she would’ve went away and dealt with her issues and came back stronger but it’s interesting and sad to think the conservatorship played a part in saving the brand. 

I think they forced her into this to keep her fans consuming the product.

So we in many ways were and are the problem ...

do we think this free Britney movement is ready to let go of the criticism of the Britney brand or are we always going to compare her to controlled primney ... and call her lazy , knee taps , bull**** video body doubles , vocal trickery , no promo, lipping to 20 yr old vocals,  old nose , gapped teeth in the future 

Is the fan base ready to accept the real Britney Spears that we actually never knew outside of the carefully constructed image ... a girl who may have the same view points and mentality as Brian Spears or Jamie Lynn Spears ... a sheltered country girl who worked so hard that she didn’t have time to get exposed to political and societal changes over the years . And could easily say something non PC that could cause a stirr in today’s cancel culture .

a girl who would see her career as a hobby and not her main priority . 

regardless I hope fans can let their version of Britney go so atleast team Britney doesnt see financial gain in continuing the conservatorship for the sake of keeping her in check for the brand or “ family business “

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting perspective. I think I was young and a little bit selfish. I just wanted to see big performances like in the past and her to have the respect she had. Even though i knew that the conservatorship was something B didn't want, i thought it would help her to have a structured life. I was wrong. But to be honest i don't think they did it for the fanbase, they did it to take control of the money, allegedly.

Conservatorship was never there to save her, it was there to save her billion dollar brand. No one around her cares about her as a person, that's why you should never mix money and family/friend relationships  :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

I don't care if she starts acting like chaotic-ney, if that's what she "truly" is like, I don't care if she decides to continue doing those silly knee moves and swirls on stage while mouthing to cd vocals from 1998, I don't care if she decides to quit the whole business and tell fans to leave her alone. That's all her prerogative and I would respect that and leave her be. All I want is to get her out of this abusive conservatorship which was formed just to milk her brand, a conservatorship that treats her as an object instead of actual living human being. She owes nothing to her fans or general public and anyone who even dares to think that conservatorship is, or ever was good for her because that's the only way we got new music and iconic eras is honestly POS. :slayde_meme_red_glam_neyde_neydeney_britney:

It doesn't even matter if some fans will be disappointed that she's not the perfect-poster-girl-primeney anymore 15 years after her peak ended, the movement was never about getting primeney back, it exists to free her from the abusive sham conservatorship and to expose the corrupted conservatorship system and evil people that run that said system. :ririshade1_rihanna_annoyed_window_bye_irritated_mad_black:

In a way, this makes sense. The team knows that the "image" makes money, so obviously they would want to force her to ve like that again.

It could also explain why it seems like Britney herself is trying to "destroy" the prime image. By looking like a mess (bad makeup, cutting POM costumes, lazy dancing, messy hair ect) she is distancing herself from what everyone wants her to be, kinda like in 2004-2007 when she didn't care about her carefully crafted image.

In all honesty I think the conservatorship did in someways force her to face her problems and clean her act up. She was acting irrational we can’t deny that. She did need help. We can’t deny that either.

What the real problem is that after 13 years she hasn’t been given credit for growth. What should have been a temporary conservatorship turned into a permanent one. The people around her put it in place in order to trap/control her. They abused their power and use for what a conservatorship actually is. She was too young for them to be putting that sort of hold over her. She was only 26 years old when this was placed upon her. Given her circumstances and that she was only 25 years old when all of this happened to her it  is disgusting how long this has gone on. 

The C-ship may have been necessary in 2008 but the point is it should have ended once she got her life back together again. It shouldn’t have been used as a tool to manipulate her and control her in order to make money. She’s still being punished for something that happened when she was 25!!!

This is why I have said for years: Britney will NEVER be free, but I think I'll change it to Britney will never be her own boss..
Yeah, Jamie can die with his colon, britney gets free, but after 3 years people will forget everything and go back to calling her lazy, realising this was her all the way, being forced to do it. We don't know what have been her the last 13 years! The no promo??  Maybe that IS her prerogative and not her "lazy team". The strict interviews, maybe she doesn't like having people asking her stupid questions when she clearly have anxiety?? 

We can never know, so on the positive side, we just have to trust and say there have been good moments the last 13 years, and they may have been britneys decisions.. And maybe not... But do we know before everything was britneys decision?? No.. Like when she says she regrets dancing with a snake, or in 2003 when she said to Diane Sawyer she regretted being almost naked for a photoshoot.. But we also have to accept, it's okay to regret things. Britney gets smarter and wiser, and older. 
But mark me, we are still in 3 years going to ***** about her going to a lake and fish the same day her album drops, and not doing what the fans wants her to do. Thats why I think many fans in here and social media is really toxic. So toxic in there way of attacking Felicia for being misunderstood, they hate on her mother, I have even see people writing her kids doesn't care about her!! That is so ******* toxic, like some fans can't accept maybe many things is how Britney wants to be? Slow, and steady, and do it right, and not the Chris Crocker way by crying about it and yellin g"HELP ME, IM A PRISONER!!"
It's like, NO ONE can love britney in their own way, no one is allowed near britney besides fans to some. Sam is being payd every boyfriend is fake, Brett was an abuser too, Billy is a maniac, and so and so...

9 hours ago, Stannedforever said:

Conservatorship was never there to save her, it was there to save her billion dollar brand. No one around her cares about her as a person, that's why you should never mix money and family/friend relationships  :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

I don't care if she starts acting like chaotic-ney, if that's what she "truly" is like, I don't care if she decides to continue doing those silly knee moves and swirls on stage while mouthing to cd vocals from 1998, I don't care if she decides to quit the whole business and tell fans to leave her alone. That's all her prerogative and I would respect that and leave her be. All I want is to get her out of this abusive conservatorship which was formed just to milk her brand, a conservatorship that treats her as an object instead of actual living human being. She owes nothing to her fans or general public and anyone who even dares to think that conservatorship is, or ever was good for her because that's the only way we got new music and iconic eras is honestly POS. :slayde_meme_red_glam_neyde_neydeney_britney:

It doesn't even matter if some fans will be disappointed that she's not the perfect-poster-girl-primeney anymore 15 years after her peak ended, the movement was never about getting primeney back, it exists to free her from the abusive sham conservatorship and to expose the corrupted conservatorship system and evil people that run that said system. :ririshade1_rihanna_annoyed_window_bye_irritated_mad_black:

2 hours ago, Steel Magnolia said:

This is 100% what happened.

It's also the reason the fanbase never asked for the conservatorship to be dissolved until 2019.

The fans were benefitting from it themselves. 

17 minutes ago, jordeezy said:

In part it was about the brand but mostly to get contractual obligations satisfied. Record labels need to learn from this and only sign contracts with performers 21 and older. 

To me, it was up to Britney around 2004-2005 to end all this, despite Blackout being a great album.

She should absolutely be commended for her resilience and her work ethic, but the consequence is constantly being scrutinized and no privacy.

Her record label NEVER CARED ABOUT HER FROM THE BEGININNG.  Only about how much money she could make them, which is natural and like any other record label from the very beginning of the music industry.

What we know is that she was clearly battling her label in late 2004/early 2005 with Mona Lisa, Original Doll and Do Somethin', but what we don't know is if she had an opportunity at that time to re-negotiate her record deal to her advantage or leave her label to start her own.

Even the owner of the Millennium Dance Studios said she had to do the Circus tour otherwise she would be sued into 'oblivion' because she didn't tour for Blackout.

1 hour ago, joanhs said:

This is why I have said for years: Britney will NEVER be free, but I think I'll change it to Britney will never be her own boss..
Yeah, Jamie can die with his colon, britney gets free, but after 3 years people will forget everything and go back to calling her lazy, realising this was her all the way, being forced to do it. We don't know what have been her the last 13 years! The no promo??  Maybe that IS her prerogative and not her "lazy team". The strict interviews, maybe she doesn't like having people asking her stupid questions when she clearly have anxiety?? 

We can never know, so on the positive side, we just have to trust and say there have been good moments the last 13 years, and they may have been britneys decisions.. And maybe not... But do we know before everything was britneys decision?? No.. Like when she says she regrets dancing with a snake, or in 2003 when she said to Diane Sawyer she regretted being almost naked for a photoshoot.. But we also have to accept, it's okay to regret things. Britney gets smarter and wiser, and older. 
But mark me, we are still in 3 years going to ***** about her going to a lake and fish the same day her album drops, and not doing what the fans wants her to do. Thats why I think many fans in here and social media is really toxic. So toxic in there way of attacking Felicia for being misunderstood, they hate on her mother, I have even see people writing her kids doesn't care about her!! That is so ******* toxic, like some fans can't accept maybe many things is how Britney wants to be? Slow, and steady, and do it right, and not the Chris Crocker way by crying about it and yellin g"HELP ME, IM A PRISONER!!"
It's like, NO ONE can love britney in their own way, no one is allowed near britney besides fans to some. Sam is being payd every boyfriend is fake, Brett was an abuser too, Billy is a maniac, and so and so...

100% agree. Interesting points about how she mentions regret and calls many primney iconic moments stupid ... girl will definitely never be a slave to the industry again. Then again the industry has changed post social media 

I think in someways post conservatorship Team Britney stood up and fought for her with the label and obligations that she wasn’t able to do herself pre conservatorship which is why she may not have fought it much post femme fatale ... I really do believe she enjoyed the Vegas dynamic and just wanted more babies at the end and perhaps her dad got greedy and signed the agreement for domination and refused to let her have babies with Sam and this is how we got where we are .. 

On another note, everyone needs to go watch the chaotic scene with her wedding and her dads reaction .

well, that's a pretty convenient thing to say to make fans feel bad, , and it may be true to some extent, as someone said, they knew image sell. However, did WE ask them to put her under a conservatorship, did they ask anyone if that was the only option?

More importantly, she had already lost a lot of fans, but she gained a bunch of new fans with Blackout, so was her image really that damaged? There are people who even praised her "zero ****s given" attitude of 2007ney, so I don't know. At the end of the day, they would've exploited and sold her whatever image she decided to have.

I was 18-20 during this time so I remember it pretty vividly. As a human being I was so concerned for her but as a fan I had unrealistic expectations.

Perfect example is thinking that she’d have a stellar comeback performance at the MTV VMAs in 07. She was not in the right frame of anything in 2007. So it was selfish for fans to expect high end MV’s and top notch performances in 07. Fans expected blonde, smiling and bubbly Britney and it wasn’t realistic :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

I feel the fan base has time after time criticized her performances, hair, makeup and so much more, but some of these same fans are now chanting FreeBritney and then others go and purchase items online etc. These items may not be a substantial support for the conservatorship but its at least the whip cream on the conservatorships sundae :umok_pursed_squint_well_okay: 

All of this said, I think we are all guilty to a degree. Some more than others. I personally never saw her in concert during the conservatorship and I’m kind of glad I didn’t, but I bought her music :beysip_sipping_drink_hoodie_starbucks_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_giggle_cackle_cackling_laughing_lmao: 

Anyway, I think fans need to realize that Britney Spears isn’t who she used to be. Part of that may even be that she doesn’t perform for a long time or never again :awks_britney_side_eye_awkward_2011_ff_femme_Fatale:

Her team cleaned her image in 2008-2009. She made some effort, even more in 2008. I think she was trying to prove herself capable and responsible thinking the cship would be only temporary. Since 2011, things just went downwill (they only got a lil better in 2016 but for a short period). Her team have not being doing a good job about her career since FF and is her image good now? I mean, besides the doc, was what people saying before? Mocking her outfits, makeup, hair way worst than 2007. Her Instagram is a ******* mess, so do they really did a good job regarding her image post 2009? Only circus seemed professional and well put together. 

16 hours ago, Intheblue said:

100% agree. Interesting points about how she mentions regret and calls many primney iconic moments stupid ... girl will definitely never be a slave to the industry again. Then again the industry has changed post social media 

I think in someways post conservatorship Team Britney stood up and fought for her with the label and obligations that she wasn’t able to do herself pre conservatorship which is why she may not have fought it much post femme fatale ... I really do believe she enjoyed the Vegas dynamic and just wanted more babies at the end and perhaps her dad got greedy and signed the agreement for domination and refused to let her have babies with Sam and this is how we got where we are .. 

On another note, everyone needs to go watch the chaotic scene with her wedding and her dads reaction .

I do believe her rebelling against the c-ship and not working has 100% to do with her personal life. She wanted to get married and have kids. She probably wanted to so Vegas and then have kids. 

Fans are constantly dreaming what B10 will be like once she's free, I don't think she cares about that at all, it's about having control about her LIFE, making new music is not as important to her as her kids, we know that. 

Archived