Justin Timberlake Revealed His True Colors to Me Before the Britney Spears Documentary by Ernest Owens

11 minutes ago, BUWYGF said:

Timberlake is an evil human being, I really don't think any further discussion on this topic is necessary. People who wanna convince me hes a "kind" and "hurt" person can miss me because they have Stockholm Syndrome :arianabye_grande_drive_ariana_pull_away_car_van_kiss_wave_goodbye_leave_leaving:

That is WILD. Justin Timberlake is an EVIL human being? Hit**r was evil. Trump is evil. Justin Timberlake is a privileged white male popstar who has been given many passes societally. The hyperbole in this fandom is why people do not take any of us seriously. There is a level of reality missing when you're calling a popstar evil because he's made poor and hurtful decisions. He didn't kill anyone. He didn't r*** anyone. He didn't scam anyone. He has simply benefitted from his place of privilege, which many non-evil people have done and continue to do.

• Like 3

It appears that a fiery two-year-old Twitter exchange in which Philadelphia Magazine's LGBTQ editor Ernest Owens accused pop star Justin Timberlake of cultural appropriation inspired a track on Timberlake's new album, Man of the Woods.

"My response is that I'm not impressed," said Owens, who learned that the six-minute song "Say Something" was about him after Google alerted him to an interview Timberlake did with music journalist Zane Lowe for Apple's 24-hour music station, Beats 1.

"I think the song is trash," Owens said.

Why all the hateration?

During the 2016 BET Awards, actor and Temple graduate Jesse Williams gave a passionate speech about the Black Lives Matter movement. Justin Timberlake tweeted "#Inspired."

Owens went in.

"So does this mean you're going to stop appropriating our music and culture? And apologize to Janet too. #BETAwards," he tweeted.

"Oh you sweet soul," Timberlake tweeted back that night in a since-deleted tweet. "The more you realize we are the same, the more we can have a conversation. Bye."

Owens, of course, kept a screen shot.

The vibe went all the way downhill after that.

Fast-forward to a year ago. Timberlake is working on his Man of the Woods album, which he told Lowe is more about introspection then aspiration. That’s what happens when you become a parent, a now-mature, plaid-shirt-buttoned-up-to-his-neck-wearing Timberlake said. After about 25 minutes, the conversation moves to “Say Something,” a duet he wrote with country singer Chris Stapleton

The lyrics, Timberlake explains, are about wanting to speak up but not getting caught up in the rhythm. Here, it seems, "rhythm" is a metaphor for "drama."

"If the rhythm goes off, then the train goes off the tracks," Timberlake said.

Lowe then delicately brings up the "Jesse Williams thing."

"I felt terrible, you feel terrible," Timberlake said about the Owens exchange, "like, 'Oh man, that is not what I meant. Why did I do that?' "

Owens, who said he has no intention of watching any part of Super Bowl Sunday night — Timberlake is headlining the halftime show — says he's not buying Timberlake's contrition at all.

The bottom line, Owens said, is that Timberlake has become a huge star by copying the R&B sound of artists like Prince, Michael Jackson, and James Brown. And then, when it becomes inconvenient for Timberlake, Owens said,  he dismisses black people and acts as though he wasn't inspired by black culture at all.  (Critics have said that Man of the Woods is Timberlake's return to his white Southern roots.)

"He doesn't understand his privilege," Owens said. "He's an artist with impact and he will not for the life of him admit the role he played in the gentrification of a genre created by black artists."

:staysalty_hands_rub_so_there_blue_walk_away_made_my_point:

8 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

However, the documentary pointed out how we and the media treated Britney like ****. Are we going to learn from that? Cause right now it feels to me like we're going to hold JT accountable for his past (which he can never change) in perpetuity. It doesn't feel right. 

Exactly. We are all human. This cancel culture needs to leave society. What he did was totally wrong and totally opportunistic - but we are humans, we are flawed, we make mistakes, and we learn from them. I don't think it should have taken so much public pressure for him to issue an apology but at the same time, I really think he was blissfully ignorant about how his selfish actions affected others. It was even reportedly rumored that Britney was over it and didn't blame JT because they were so young. If people are brave enough to apologize and acknowledge they did wrongdoing, I think we should celebrate that first step, not continue to cancel them over something that they can't change. So do you all think that people that go to jail should never get a 2nd chance at real life because they broke the law once and weren't thinking about how their actions had consequences?

• Love 5
  • Like 4
34 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

I think it's important to stop and pause for a moment. Let me preface this by saying some of his past actions were terrible choices/mistakes. 

However, the documentary pointed out how we and the media treated Britney like ****. Are we going to learn from that? Cause right now it feels to me like we're going to hold JT accountable for his past (which he can never change) in perpetuity. It doesn't feel right. 

I recognize I'm also a privileged white male. 

I'm not saying how he treated Britney and Janet was right. It wasn't. But he's trying to move forward. Maybe he'll be brave enough to do an apology on video. But I fear even that won't suffice for people who are ready to tear him down no matter what. 

Does calling him scum, evil etc help anyone? Including the person saying it? 

Let's learn from the past and try and be compassionate towards others who we feel have done wrong. 

The difference is that Britney never deserved it or treated anyone like shyt.

You don't like how people are going in on everyone, because you know it could come back to bite you for the way you've acted in the past.

He's not actually trying to move forward, his apology was fake and damage control and you know it.

• Like 6

The thing is...we been knew about Justin Timberlake...well most of us (yes I’m calling you Britney get back with JT “fans”:umok_pursed_squint_well_okay:)

But i wanna know why I didn’t know about this exchange on Twitter? To be fair the only time I engaged in his music was when **** Back came out. The rest of his career sounds like MJ/Usher regurgitated playback :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand: 

but he’s SOOOO “GOOD” RIGHT :sofedup_fed_up_miss_ny_ms_new_york_done_tiffany_pollard_eye_roll_eyeroll_whatever:

No, he’s not. He’s fake AF and diehard fans have known this since he got those whack *** cornrows.

Anyway, I’m to the point of where I want to write GLAAD and DEMAND that they revoke his award. Anyone else want to join me? #JTisOverParty 

• Love 5

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block