Dua Lipa graces Time magazine, new article by Kylie Minogue

I don't really understand the Dua hype. I like her a lot - a lot of her music is really fun. But she's not the new Madonna/Britney/Gaga like everyone is making her out to be. Her videos are cute but her performances are bad and she doesn't have much of a personality from what I've seen. Music has been so boring lately that I think the bar has been kind of low and Dua stands out a lot because so many artists that are out right now are so bad.

• Like 4
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dua Lipa lands on the new cover of Time magazine. She looks stunning! Better yet, Kylie Minogue contributed a write-up. Main pop girl confirmed

I don't like her tbh. She travels the whole world in the middle of pandemic and then she posts something about people doing the same thing like she's disgusted with their behavior  Hypocrite. And she

GP's lack of taste

Posted Images

1 hour ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

I said foreign name not foreign act :hiii_britney_wave_glaad_2018_waving_hello:  you’re not coming across as a fan to me though :snooptoya_jackson_snooping_looking_magnifying_glass_glasses_search: maybe that’s how I come across about Taylor because while I love her music pre pandemic era, she’s become more insufferable lately. :taylor_swift_evil_smile: even Olive having this hit means nothing. Carly Rae had a number one for what felt like months and look where she’s at now. Making bops but forgotten by the GP. Dua is under hyped though :angietea_angelina_jolie_tea_sips_coffee_mug_cup_drink_spilling_spill: and keeps outpeaking Positions in the streaming charts even though they were released 7 months apart :truthtea_sips_britney_2011_ff_femme_fatale_red_mug_spill:

No honey Im a fan. Remember me updating your own thread for levitating :truthtea_sips_britney_2011_ff_femme_fatale_red_mug_spill:

The difference between us two fans is that I see thru the BS and I’m calling out the elephant in the room before the haters do (which they are in this thread). Its driving me crazy that one of my favs is half snatching a weave and being hyped but doesn’t have a #1 in the US.

The only conclusion I can come up with is that her music isn’t lyrically deep or personal. It comes across as light hearted and disco fun. Maybe that is whats missing? 

But carry onto being a MOD and not bashing folks for sharing their opinions :gloss_mirror_young_little_girl_smile_child_makeup_lipstick_lipgloss_lips_pink:

• Exhale+
29 minutes ago, PickleSpears said:

I don't really understand the Dua hype. I like her a lot - a lot of her music is really fun. But she's not the new Madonna/Britney/Gaga like everyone is making her out to be. Her videos are cute but her performances are bad and she doesn't have much of a personality from what I've seen. Music has been so boring lately that I think the bar has been kind of low and Dua stands out a lot because so many artists that are out right now are so bad.

That's what drove Gaga to almost retirement, The constant comparisons to Madonna,  like critics said it was a miracle she survived that, nobody really does.

The Born this way era was really at its height, while everybody wants a collaboration and both made up and realized the media was to blame for the feud, that won't happen. 

Both, fan bases hate each other and their idol with a passion.  

Trust me a decade later, both fan bases are still doing stan wars. 

I'm the hunter, you're the fox 🦊.

15 minutes ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

No honey Im a fan. Remember me updating your own thread for levitating :truthtea_sips_britney_2011_ff_femme_fatale_red_mug_spill:

The difference between us two fans is that I see thru the BS and I’m calling out the elephant in the room before the haters do (which they are in this thread). Its driving me crazy that one of my favs is half snatching a weave and being hyped but doesn’t have a #1 in the US.

The only conclusion I can come up with is that her music isn’t lyrically deep or personal. It comes across as light hearted and disco fun. Maybe that is whats missing? 

But carry onto being a MOD and not bashing folks for sharing their opinions :gloss_mirror_young_little_girl_smile_child_makeup_lipstick_lipgloss_lips_pink:

Great. I can now add you to the “you’re a MOD so you shouldn’t be entitled to behave like the rest of us” list. 

giphy.gif

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

🍻Intoxicate me, I’m a lush🍻

• Exhale+
2 hours ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

Why does a new comer like Olive Random achieve a #1 debut with 5 weeks at #1 and counting get a number 1? :sponge_spongebob_sarcastic_meme_sarcasm:

Omg that's not how u write her name, get it RIGHT! :ririshade2_rihanna_eyeroll_roll_eyes_annoyed_irritated_mad:

Spoiler

It's spelled Olive Oildrigo :yesplease_yas_agree_preach:

• Haha 1

“The one and only...Olive Oildrigo :yesplease_yas_agree_preach:

• Exhale+
6 hours ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

All of you saying the US hates international acts when the Spice Girls, Adele, George Michael, that K-Pop group say :hiii_britney_wave_glaad_2018_waving_hello: but hey Dua is the next main pop girl that her fans (including me) are patiently rooting for :tiffeyeroll_miss_ny_new_york_ms_annoyed_eyes_roll_eyeroll_irritated:

And Olivia says meow too :taylor_swift_evil_smile:

As far as my “weak” comparison goes...Normani is over hyped at this point and the media continues to hype up Dua but she STILL hasn’t hit #1.  

I guess in another (that isn’t weak :sponge_spongebob_sarcastic_meme_sarcasm:) comparison Ariana Grande was at this same stage for a while until TUN so maybe it’ll take Dua five albums to achieve Olive Randoms success :truthtea_sips_britney_2011_ff_femme_fatale_red_mug_spill:

Also I think in some cases they had a huge budget and teams. 

Spice girls, not gonna lie filled a void in the US for girl groups and they were signed to Virgin, which gave them bigger budgets and such. 

Plus they were marketed to a tween audience.

But Dua's name is the big issue. 

Had she just been billed as Dua it would be fine, but in the US nobody Carries the last name Lipa, so it was going to be harder for her to get recognition. 

Plus we all know she's independent and licenses her Music to major labels ranging from warner (majority) to universal music (if their local Warner market refused her like Germany and Poland did).

Ava Max is a mostly a stage,  cos she Americanized her last name. 

It worked for her, also being blonde as well cos she's Albanian as well. 

It's harder for unknown last names..

Don't get me started on our English language,  the British,  canadians and Australians drag us for ruining the actual correct spellings and pronunciations..

They say there's a reason we question the Z, the s and why did you drop the u,  in several words. 

9 hours ago, Look But Don't Touch said:

I don't like her tbh. She travels the whole world in the middle of pandemic and then she posts something about people doing the same thing like she's disgusted with their behavior :melt_weird_drift_wow: Hypocrite. And she dates an idiot that is anti-vaccine. Hate people like them. And she releases 837937484 versions of the same album just to make it #1 everywhere. Unfair and greedy. She has some good songs but that's it when it comes to her person.  

Blah blah blah...go put on Future Nostalgia and forget about your self-righteous self.... :tiffeyeroll_miss_ny_new_york_ms_annoyed_eyes_roll_eyeroll_irritated:

• Haha 1
On 2/17/2021 at 9:26 AM, PickleSpears said:

This. Her songs are nice but she is more a studio record label puppet. She lacks personality and stands in some pink drapery on a magazine made for fake hype. Am I supposed to be “Wowed?” She also has some hypocritical tendencies like another poster mentioned when she’s traveling the world mingling but shaming others for going outside to mingle in a pandemic. She can’t dance and is literally a snooze fest in live shows. Funny that her music is Pop you’d think she’d be able to dance.

• Love 2
  • Exhale+
20 minutes ago, MamboDoesItBetter said:

This. Her songs are nice but she is more a studio record label puppet. She lacks personality and stands in some pink drapery on a magazine made for fake hype. Am I supposed to be “Wowed?” She also has some hypocritical tendencies like another poster mentioned when she’s traveling the world mingling but shaming others for going outside to mingle in a pandemic. She can’t dance and is literally a snooze fest in live shows. Funny that her music is Pop you’d think she’d be able to dance.

Hello Albie. 

I should have known it was you. 

Your just as critical as I am cos we stan avant garde and perfectionists.  

Thank god I'm not the only Madonna die hard, I have help to provide back up. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, MamboDoesItBetter said:

I didn't know that about her comments, interesting. But yeah a lot of her songs are really catchy and I get her success but to me she's more on a Demi / Selena / Ariana level than Taylor Swift or something.

5 hours ago, MamboDoesItBetter said:

Funny that you think making pop music means someone needs to know how to dance. Show me Katy, Miley, Ariana and Taylor’s record breaking dance moves. I’ll wait :unbothered_apple_chew_bite_hair_eat_chomp_red:

• Love 1

🍻Intoxicate me, I’m a lush🍻

• Exhale+
10 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Funny that you think making pop music means someone needs to know how to dance. Show me Katy, Miley, Ariana and Taylor’s record breaking dance moves. I’ll wait :unbothered_apple_chew_bite_hair_eat_chomp_red:

• Haha 2

“The one and only...Olive Oildrigo :yesplease_yas_agree_preach: