Has the Chromatica Era ended already?

AussieBrayden

Not sure what's happened, but I just discovered that Lady Gaga is releasing a new album most likely in Spring 2021, the album, will be a follow up to Cheek to Cheek. The album will be a collaboration with Tony Bennett and its also rumoured it will be Tony's last. Chromatica's last single (I think it was released as a single?) was 911. But since September, its been awfully quiet! Has the Chromatica Era finished to make way for the Cheek to Cheek follow up? 🤷‍♂️

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, it's like that with every album era nowadays.  I know with Pink, heŕ last 2 albums she has done a handful of interviews over the space of 2 or 3 weeks and that's it done. I think its because CD sales have fallen so low, streaming has taking over and albums are accessible to everyone instantly, there no need to do weeks of promo like in the 90s.  It's a shame but that's the way it is. I suppose as well Lady Gaga cant even tour Choromatica at all right now so she probably is thinking she may as well work on another album 

It's a performance type album, since everything got derailed cos of Covid, I feel she was like simply best to move on..

We're getting the long promised Tomy Bennett album,  this Spring, and due to having Alzheimers it's going to be bittersweet for Gaga, as everybody knows he helped her and made her change her mind about leaving the industry,  cos she wanted to retire In 2014 due to the ARTPOP backlash..

This can sound weird but I think in general, music market has become faster. Artists to keep it up with it need to keep releasing new music. Albums era-cycles doesn't work anymore on the mainstream. You have K-Pop acts that put like 3-4 releases out on one year, on the west I think dua lipa is the best example. And also when an artist release a single of an album already released, it always underperform since the novelty factor doesn't exist.

57 minutes ago, MoonLight28 said:

This can sound weird but I think in general, music market has become faster. Artists to keep it up with it need to keep releasing new music. Albums era-cycles doesn't work anymore on the mainstream. You have K-Pop acts that put like 3-4 releases out on one year, on the west I think dua lipa is the best example. And also when an artist release a single of an album already released, it always underperform since the novelty factor doesn't exist.

Daniel EK of spotify said the same thing, but Ariana is in a backlash. Three albums in two years, she oversaturated the market, though people said Rain on me went #1 cos of Ariana grande,  and Gaga being 34, benefited from her. 

Might shock everybody but in today's climate 30 is old..

8 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Daniel EK of spotify said the same thing, but Ariana is in a backlash. Three albums in two years, she oversaturated the market, though people said Rain on me went #1 cos of Ariana grande,  and Gaga being 34, benefited from her. 

Might shock everybody but in today's climate 30 is old..

The problem with Ariana it's the lack of versatility in her sound, she's been sounding the same since dangerous women. And on another hand you have pop artist like Lady Gaga (and even Britney) that change their sound on every album.

I would be surprised if the era was still going on. It's rare for an era to last more than a year, and Chromatica era started in February 2020. 

Even if you look at the music industry 10 years ago, Britney's last full era, Femme Fatale, had 4 singles/videos and a tour and it lasted less than a year. Hold It Against Me came out in January 2011, the last single came out in September, and the tour ended in December 2011.

19 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Plus, it underperformed to her standards..

It hasn't gone gold or platinum at all, and that's unusual for gaga..

But I did say expect this to happen,  A star is born won people who normally don't check for her at all. Or even consider themselves a fan. 

Absolutely. It was her highest first week sales since Born This Way. 

It’s been over since 911 dropped. Nothing came after the video besides a box of cookies.

She let this album completely fizzle out. She could have worked as hard as Dua and released more music videos and performances but it seems like she was to busy choosing the colors of her Oreo cookie filling.

1 hour ago, Isla said:

It does seem like the era is a bit dead. Gaga could have done more but I guess she felt like she couldn’t do much because of the pandemic. I don’t think 911 should have been a single tbh.

Was 911 released as an actual single though? Or just a music video? It never got a radio release in the US.

Archived