Life discovered beneath 900 metres of Antarctic ice shelf

ChromaticaGlory

1949.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

The accidental discovery of marine organisms on a boulder on the sea floor beneath 900 metres (3,000ft) of Antarctic ice shelf has led scientists to rethink the limits of life on Earth.

Researchers stumbled on the life-bearing rock after sinking a borehole through nearly a kilometre of the Filchner-Ronne ice shelf on the south-eastern Weddell Sea to obtain a sediment core from the seabed.

2486.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

fmars-08-642040-g003.jpg

Photos and video footage of the boulder show that it is home to at least two types of sponge, one of which has a long stem that opens into a head. But other organisms, which could be tube worms or stalked barnacles, also appear to be growing on the rock.

“It was a real shock to find them there, a really good shock, but we can’t do DNA tests, we can’t work out what they’ve been eating, or how old they are. We don’t even know if they are new species, but they’re definitely living in a place where we wouldn’t expect them to be living”

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/feb/15/researchers-rethink-life-in-a-cold-climate-after-antarctic-find

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

there's also a lot of fossils from plants and marine animals from the Mesozoic era 

Not surprised tbh. In those eras of time, amazon was a lush rainforest so cold blooded dinosaurs were thriving in such areas and maybe now as the climate has change it has become the vast wasteland of ice and snow we know today. I think the megalondons also used to swim in such regions? :mhmsureny_hmm_thinking_ponder_unsure_what_Tiffany_pollard_ny_New_York_miss_ms_sure: But I think they came from a differenty era so

Archived