This Day in Pop: Do Somethin' single is released in 2005 (February 14)

• Super Mods

dosomethinsing.jpg.57b88d74e18ae22fd13504f9a5f51239.jpg  20.jpg

On February 14, 2005, Do Somethin' was released worldwide (except the US) as the second single off Britney Spears' Greatest Hits: My Prerogative compilation album. The song was not intended to be released, but Britney convinced Jive Records to shoot a music video for it, which was released in January, and afterwards, it was released by Sony BMG in the countries around the world.

The song was written and produced by Bloodshy & Avant, with additional writing by Henrik Jonback and Angela Hunte. Despite not being released as a single in the US, it managed to barely enter the Billboard Hot 100 chart at #100, due to the high digital downloads and because the video was ultimately served to MTV, despite not being intended at the beginning. In many European countries it entered Top 10 as well as in Australia, where it was one of the best selling singles of that year.

Some remixes were released across the different versions of the single, including the Chris Cox Megamix on the UK enhanced CD.

Britney Spears didn't perform the song around the time of its release, but included it on the setlist of her 2007 M+M's Tour.

In 2009 it was included again on The Circus Starring Britney Spears tour

Four years later, in 2013, she performed the song again during her Britney: Piece of Me residency at Las Vegas, and it was included for the entirety of the residency and side tours, except for a few dates in 2014 when it was replaced by Alien.

Related:

• Love 7

Únete a Exhale Latino   ///   Participate on Exhale's Top 100 of 2021

3 minutes ago, britneyluv said:

I feel like this is the closest we've ever come to seeing Britney truly flex her artistic chops. It seemed like the last vestige of Original Doll, which could have been a true labor of love that got the GP to see Britney as a real artist rather than a robotic pop tart. 

You can just see it in the video - the fire that she's always had is there, but it's even better. It's like she did this for her because she had nothing to lose. Either her fans liked it or they didn't, but it was the first time she actually did something experimental. Janet had Velvet Rope, Madonna had Ray of Light, Gaga had Joanne, even Gwen Stefani created an entirely new image with Love Angel Music Baby. 

I really hope that once she's out from under (pun intended) the restraints she's under, she's able to make this kind of music again. We've seen glimpses of this side of her but I really think that Do Something could have ushered in an entirely new era if all the other BS hadn't happened. The video had EVERYTHING (in the best Stefan voice): fur shrugs, a flying pink car with cONtroVERsial Louis Vuitton logos, a Hello Kitty necklace, the kind of dancing that she nailed because she was excited to perform it, and a passion that we really haven't seen since. 

I was also in middle school when it came out and while I thought it was cool back then, I think it's taken on true legendary status and almost on the same level as Toxic and Slave :smokney_britney_smoke_cigarette_chaotic_2004_exhale_blow:

I love how you have a very unique and killer perspective on everything. Do Something is really fantastic and I do wished it was more successful. I still would any day switch Trashkonka Jeans for Original Doll :tiffanycries_ny_new_york_miss_tiffany_pollard_crying_tears_sobbing_sad:

• Love 2
  • Haha 1

Her second singles sans Perfume and TTWE remain superior wbk

She looks good, she feels the vibe, and it's telling that she's performed this song at every opportunity she's gotten 

The mona lisa reference is also everything

7 hours ago, Gayseus911 said:

In Britney's mind this song is certified diamond.

#WhyDontchaDoSomething:gunriah_mariah_carey:

in hers and in mines :wigsnatched_point_you_wow_yes_yas:

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, britneyluv said:

I feel like this is the closest we've ever come to seeing Britney truly flex her artistic chops. It seemed like the last vestige of Original Doll, which could have been a true labor of love that got the GP to see Britney as a real artist rather than a robotic pop tart. 

You can just see it in the video - the fire that she's always had is there, but it's even better. It's like she did this for her because she had nothing to lose. Either her fans liked it or they didn't, but it was the first time she actually did something experimental. Janet had Velvet Rope, Madonna had Ray of Light, Gaga had Joanne, even Gwen Stefani created an entirely new image with Love Angel Music Baby. 

I really hope that once she's out from under (pun intended) the restraints she's under, she's able to make this kind of music again. We've seen glimpses of this side of her but I really think that Do Something could have ushered in an entirely new era if all the other BS hadn't happened. The video had EVERYTHING (in the best Stefan voice): fur shrugs, a flying pink car with cONtroVERsial Louis Vuitton logos, a Hello Kitty necklace, the kind of dancing that she nailed because she was excited to perform it, and a passion that we really haven't seen since. 

I was also in middle school when it came out and while I thought it was cool back then, I think it's taken on true legendary status and almost on the same level as Toxic and Slave :smokney_britney_smoke_cigarette_chaotic_2004_exhale_blow:

I can't agree more with every word you said. Such an iconic video, my favourite one of Britney. I never understood why it's so underrated :icant2_britney_nope_smh_head_shake_disappointed_everytime:

• Love 1
8 hours ago, britneyluv said:

The Hello Kitty necklace felt like such a meta reference to herself in which she was showing that she's always recognized that being **** was part of her persona. It really is everything

• Like 1