This Day in Pop: Lady Gaga releases 'Born This Way' single in 2011 (February 11)

ladygagaa_a_l.jpg.aaf276a0603e0b941ca40f01de57a2a9.jpg born-this-way1.jpg

On February 11, 2011, Lady Gaga released Born This Way, the lead single off her second (third?) studio album of the same name. It was written by Lady Gaga herself and Jeppe Laursen, which co-produced the track along with Fernando Garibay and DJ White Shadow.

It went #1 on the BBH100, Dance Club Songs, Mainstream Top 40 and Dance/Mix Show Airplay chart, as well as more than 25 international charts, and reached Top 10 in another handful. 

Madonna wasn't particularly thrilled about the song, because of the similarities to her 1989 hit Express Yourself saying in one interview: "When I heard ['Born This Way'] on the radio ... I said, 'that sounds very familiar' ... It felt reductive."  and on another one: "I thought, 'What a wonderful way to redo my song'. I mean, I recognized the chord changes. I thought it was... interesting." In 2012 she did a mashup of the songs for her MDNA Tour. 

Nick Knight directed the music video for Born This Way, which was released on February 28

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block