Sarah Silverman apologizes to Britney + Criss Angel canceled on Britney a day before VMA performance

2 hours ago, somuchbetter said:

Hope Diane Sawyer is prepping her apology next

Sarah made incredibly hurtful jokes at the worst time ever, but Diane? Diane is a misogynist at heart. AND she's a woman herself. So the amount of work that she has to do to be able to apologize from her heart and actually knowing what she's doing and saying requires YEARS of self-reflection... So if she didn't start that change years ago, then don't expect her to do so now all of a sudden.

• Like 4

28/03/2008 06:45 GMT

I asked Angel to describe his ideas for Britney Spears' disastrous comeback at the Video Music Awards show in Vegas in September. Angel had been working with Spears on ideas for the performance that would have required a lot of rehearsals and effort from the star. Instead, Spears opted for more traditional choreography in a performance that, rather than announcing her return to the stage, marked the beginning of her total meltdown over the months that followed. But if she had gone with Angel's approach, what would we have seen?

"With Britney I presented concepts to create, within her performance, illusions that would happen in the open. You would see Britney and then she would split into two Britneys and then four Britneys with no boxes or covers. It would just be a visual effect using no screens. People in the past have used the art of magic in music performances but mostly in a cheesy way. Magic has not kept up with popular culture and technology.

"Other things I wanted to do with her was to literally transform her into birds and then for her to reappear in the audience. I also thought of having her levitate over the audience. It was going to be really visual moments that were all epic tableaux that were beautiful, artistic, elegant and, most important, unique -- things MTV hasn't seen in music. I wanted to captivate people in the moment. That was the essence of what I wanted to do with the Britney performance, because I think the performance she did with the snake was a highlight of her career and I wanted to trump that and I thought we had it."

• Like 1

Good for her if she felt sorry and needed to apologize, but I'm not sure how I feel about the bandwagon of making everyone apologize or be accountable for every little thing.

I understand how hurtful things were but it's not like any of those apologies are going straight to Britney, and it seems like the fanbase wants to make everyone who might have hurt her apologize but might not be taking in consideration if she is fine and already over these things. I take Perez as an awful example, he was vile and way worse than Sarah in so many ways, but she ended up having him as the guy for Freakshow in Vegas, and the Circus Tour opening. :receipts2_britney_um_browsing_browse:

It's all very conflicting to me, to be honest. We know she can take a joke, she even used the boobjob rumour and accusations as a joke in SNL, so I don't know how Britney really felt that night about Sarah's "jokes". We know she was crying backstage, but so many things were happening that night that it's hard to really know. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, bitbitboi said:

Sarah made incredibly hurtful jokes at the worst time ever, but Diane? Diane is a misogynist at heart. AND she's a woman herself. So the amount of work that she has to do to be able to apologize from her heart and actually knowing what she's doing and saying requires YEARS of self-reflection... So if she didn't start that change years ago, then don't expect her to do so now all of a sudden.

Amen. Diane has always been set in that “it’s a mans world” mentality. She has been that way with lots of women throughout her career. It’s gross. 

• Like 2

I can't believe I had to wait 13 years to get the facts straight on Britney's worst (or the only bad) performance... And there are still some loose knots.

I mean, I had heard bits and pieces here and there over this time, but never all pieced together and fact-checked like this.

I totally remember now reading Criss Angel canceling on Britney 24 hs before (not a week, A DAY before). But of course, guys always dodge the bullet, don't they?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DuranDuran said:

I know you don’t like this guy ... I don’t like him either, but this is what he wrote:

So I think that  there is truth in the interviewer's words. But  probably Criss Angel canceled on Britney not a day, but a week before VMA... but it's just my guess...

major! She never mentioned Sarah's jokes? they couldn't have hurt her that much... I think it was a combo of seeing Justin and the CA drama! Perhaps she shouldn't have even been up on that stage but god love her, she did. :crying3_britney_sobbing_tears_sad: