Should Black Artists REFRAIN From Using the N-Word? (Discussion)

Some of you may have read about the ongoing cancellation attempt of country superstar Morgan Wallen. What did he do? Use the N-word during a drunken exchange... Madonna also got, years ago, in a bit trouble for using it on Instagram as a term of endearment  for her own son who is White...

To make matters even more ridiculous...

Kendrick Lamar’s Onstage Outrage: Why Rap Should Retire the N-Word for Good
Writes Jeremy Helligar: "Is it really fair to have one set of rules for black fans and another for white fans?"

What happened is three years ago, Kendrick Lamar "invited a group of people from the crowd for a rap-along to his 2012 single “m.A.A.d. city.” Things were going great until one young fan, a white female who introduced herself as Delaney, got the lyrics a bit too right."

Okay... Here are the lyrics. See for yourselves! The song contains that lyric, but that one White fan was supposed, according to Lamar, to bleep or mute the word... So, if as group of people are rapping along to that song or any other song that has the N-word, all non-Black people should stop singing/miming any time the word comes up, but Black (incl. partly Black) folks can keep at it. Way to obtain an odd performance, right? Well, that's exactly how things should be according to Lamar and others. Doesn't make any bloody sense!

In those songs, the N-word is usually used as a term of endearment or reappropriation (and there'll no ill intention). If no ill or racist intention, then what's the problem? Besides, the N-word is commonly used in everyday conversations in Spanish and Haitian Creole (maybe other languages too). In Spanish, it is the term used to refer to the black colour or shade, Black people and so on. In Haitian Creole, it is often used to refer to a man, a guy, a dude... It only seems to be such a huge problem in English and French.

I understand all the baggage it carries in these last two languages, so would it be better for Black rappers and singers to just stop using that term altogether? Why not if such a no-no for any non-Black fan? Constant use and airplay of that term (even on music TV channels and some radio stations) may end up confusing people, esp. younger non-Black fans. I hope I'm making sense.

R967518feda1104e1e2badf98d922bbb4.thumb.jpg.300fa527253ab9bc2a6f0eebd68793ce.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 1

@Avatar I agree. It's just that there is now a consensus that Black and partly Black people (incl. artists) may use that term but non-Black people (incl. artists) can't, even if there is absolutely no ill intent like in the Lamar concert example above. The N-word is so widely used in music that it makes it odd to bar any non-Black person from ever speaking/singing/rapping it in a non-racist context.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Personally I find the N word, the F word, or any other slur to be words that should never be used by anyone. However, if someone of that background chooses to do so I think that’s there choice. Again, I don’t believe in it and I don’t think anyone should use it because I feel like the more it is used the more power it gets versus if everyone stopped saying nasty slurs maybe we wouldn’t have a country that is still plagued with problems involving race, ***uality, gender, etc. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I mean, I never understood why African Americans took a degrading word (the original n-word) and altered it slightly to begin with, much less why many still use the abridged version to describe themselves and others if it's still considered a taboo word in some instances.

I'd love to find out why the word entered the lexicon of many African Americans so casually, although I don't think any word should be banned; maybe cancel culture should just **** off. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1
  • Twitter Team
1 minute ago, Stefani said:

I mean, I never understood why African Americans took a degrading word and altered it slightly to begin with, much less why many still use it to describe themselves and others if it's still considered a taboo word in some instances.

I'd love to find out why the word entered the lexicon of many African Americans so casually, although I don't think any word should be banned; maybe cancel culture should just **** off. 

This. I’m probably being quite naive to this but it always baffled me how the n-word, which is a highly offensive term to refer to black people, is now being spoken by said people to refer to one another in a positive manner? 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I like songs with the N word in them, I just skip over singing the word when I’m listening in public. It’s not that hard to do so, imo. :frenchy_britney_u_sure_ff_femme_fatale_you_look:

I believe it’s a culture thing tbh. I have friends from Queens NY and everyone no matter race or ethnicity says the N word to their friends (black and non-black) and no one cares there :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

Is this really a thread??? If you know the history of the word, white people shouldn’t even think of using the word no matter how many times black use it. 

blacks use it as a Term of endearment, but when a white uses it, it’s not ok. Just the way it is. 

it’s like when females call each other *****es but as soon as a male says it to them (straight male) it’s different 

Blacks took the N word & made it to a positive, whites don’t get to make it positive, when they the ones who came of with it & made it so Derogatory in the first place 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, ThisMeowBiteback said:

Thank you! 

He should have not said it period!!

Yeah and it sure as hell shouldn’t be up to white people who can and who can’t say that word. I wish white people were as uncomfortable about the word during slavery, Jim Crow, etc.

• Love 1