Little Mix's 'Sweet Melody' surpasses Spice Girls' 'Wannabe' and becomes the 2nd longest reigning song by a girl group in the UK Top 10 ever

Slayer

21 hours ago, Slayer said:

1) All Saints - Never Ever - 15 weeks in the Top 10

2) Little Mix - Sweet Melody - 13 weeks in the Top 10 and counting..

3) Spice Girls - Wannabe - 12 weeks in the Top 10

We Americans be like... "Who?"

britney spears what GIF

Of those three I only know "Wannabe," but it turns out that "Never Ever" was indeed a top 10 hit in the US.  I guess I was too young :gloss_mirror_young_little_girl_smile_child_makeup_lipstick_lipgloss_lips_pink:

I just listened to "Sweet Melody" and it's cute.  It's hard to compete with the global impact of "Wannabe" tho. 

Shopping Omg GIF by Spice Girls

25 minutes ago, filmandstage13 said:

We Americans be like... "Who?"

britney spears what GIF

Of those three I only know "Wannabe," but it turns out that "Never Ever" was indeed a top 10 hit in the US.  I guess I was too young :gloss_mirror_young_little_girl_smile_child_makeup_lipstick_lipgloss_lips_pink:

I just listened to "Sweet Melody" and it's cute.  It's hard to compete with the global impact of "Wannabe" tho. 

Shopping Omg GIF by Spice Girls

Girl no bashing Little Mix, I guarantee if you looked into them properly you'd love them :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad:

Please respect them, they are sweet, down to earth girls who are insanely talented!

This isn't a thread to bash Spice Girls, LM are fans of them. Nobody is saying that Wannabe isn't iconic.

1 hour ago, Slayer said:

Girl no bashing Little Mix, I guarantee if you looked into them properly you'd love them :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad:

Please respect them, they are sweet, down to earth girls who are insanely talented!

This isn't a thread to bash Spice Girls, LM are fans of them. Nobody is saying that Wannabe isn't iconic.

Sorry!  I didn't mean to shade!

sorry barack obama GIF by NowThis

I should give them more of a listen! I know a handful of songs because my boyfriend is a fan. I don't know why there seems to be such a wall between British girl groups and American markets. I'm not even sure why the Spice Girls were able to break through where others weren't. But there does feel like there is something distinctly British about them. Like there are certain Sugababes songs that I love but also understand why they never made an impact on American radio in spite of them being great.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block