This Day in Pop: Britney releases 'I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman' single in 2002 (February 05)

• Super Mods

notagirl.jpg.6b6149438324fb423fb15b656aa4011c.jpg 12.jpg

On February 05, 2002, Britney Spears released I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman, the third single off her Britney album (second single in the US). Max Martin and Rami Yacoub wrote and produced the song, along with additional writing from Dido. The single also served as promotion for her movie Crossroads.

The song didn't perform well in the US, only reaching the #2 on the Bubbling Under chart, but it reached Top 10 in many European charts.

Recorded on June 20, 2001, we were able to see a little bit from the recording session on MTV's Diary of Britney Spears:

Britney said: "The song is called 'Not a Girl' and it's basically talking about, you know, I'm not a girl, but I'm not yet a woman. You're just in that transitional stage in your life where you're just figuring yourself out, and something that I can definitely relate to".

13.jpg

Britney also explained the song was talking about growing up, and that it was going more towards her character Lucy, though she could kinda relate to that too.

The only tour where Britney performed the song was the Dream Within a Dream Tour, but she performed the song live on many TV shows and awards shows too.

SNL: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av927619450/

Related:

• Love 6
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

Únete a Exhale Latino   ///   Participate on Exhale's Top 100 of 2021

I'm not a girl, but if you look at me closely, you will see that in my eyes, this girl will always.... 

That part has always annoyed the hell out of me. :eheeek_britney_unsure_ew_gross_um_awkward_embarrassed_cringe: 

She had some really good performances of this song. Jay Leno, SNL and the AMAs being the stand out ones. 

• Haha 2
  • Like 1