''Born To Make You Happy'' deserved better. Period.

1 hour ago, thebritmaster said:

As a 90s kid I’m pretty sure everyone knew this song here in the US :brityes_britney_yes_nodding: But maybe cause we all had the album. I swear they played the video on TRL sometimes though :umsaywhat_adele_hmm_umm_thinking_confused_unsure:

Exactly!! It's so hard to overstate how big this whole era was.  The BOMT album seemed like it was in every household (there were two copies in mine because my sister got one, too!) so people in the general public had exposure to several of her non-singles.  We'd put in on the boombox during recess at school :lizzie_oops_dancing_red_maguire_hillary_duff:

I love this song so much.  She does teen heartbreak so well!  And that key change!!:mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming:

I grew up in the US and was pretty young when this came out.  But I would say that of all of her "unreleased" songs in the US, this one actually is (or at least was at the time) pretty well known!  The FTBOMBH CD single was everywhere, and it had a clip of the BTMYH music video on it!  Sometime at the end of the BOMT era and the beginning of the OIDIA era she was also doing a promotion with McDonalds (along with *NSYNC) where you could get a VHS tape with a mini Britney special that included the full video!  So even in the pre-YouTube era, fans knew about the video and knew how to get their hands on it!

That said, as much as I love the song (even more than FTBOMBH), it does have a more Europop vibe.  Even the music video.  The European acts we saw in the US (I'm sure we only saw a very small slice, so sorry if this is over-generalizing) almost always had music videos in these futuristic looking digitized tunnels and this very much as that vibe. (Look at the difference between the *NSYNC "I Want You Back" European vs. US music videos and you'll see what I mean).  And ballads like FTBOMBH were still dominating the charts here in the US, so their decision makes sense to me.

• Love 2

I can remember at the time having to get my FTBOMBH cd from HMV here in the UK because that's the only place I knew had imports, but even then it was hit and miss as they didn't have that many. I also recall there being a fake remixes cd on some website at the time (when the internet was basic af!!) and it had about five remixes on there, with at least one being by Thunderpuss - #theoriginaltroll.

Back on topic though, BTMYH - beautiful song! Deserved the #1 spot it got here, and the real injustice is that it hasn't been performed live since the DWAD tour :(

• Love 1