Spice Girls' MEGA HIT "Wannabe" turns 25 this year, let's celebrate!

31 minutes ago, jordeezy said:

The Spice Girls invented #SQUADGOALS and paved the way for the teen pop takeover internationally - and their MEGA HIT "Wannabe" started it all for the girls. The ladies were a perfect storm of fashion, friendship and FULL OUT BOPS! Now, the conversation is about how they are going to celebrate the 25th birthday of their massive hit "Wannabe". Mel C has been discussing the topic lately and told Pop Shop Podcast:

“It’s high on the agenda for us girls. I mean, since we did the tour in 2019, I have just been like, ‘more shows, more shows!’ And, you know, obviously that isn’t something that’s gonna happen this year, sadly. So, again, a big old rethink. We are working on some ideas. I can’t give too much away… but we definitely wanna celebrate and really acknowledge 25 years. It’s insane. We’re so proud of our legacy. So we do want to celebrate it in the best way that we can.”

So, I want to provide you with 25 "Wannabe" moments and facts to celebrate it's birthday!

#1  The "Wannabe" music video! We've all seen it and we all love it!

#2 The "Wannabe" Demo - this is the same recording of the song they used in Spice World in the diner performance scene.

#3 The chart performance was amazing!

#4 The 2019 Performance was a blast from the past!

#5 This LIT remix that gets you crunk EVERY TIME you hear it -

#6 (sorry for the potato quality) This "Wannabe" performance, where Emma forgot her microphone back stage so she used Victoria's, sparked lipsyncing rumors (but Victoria has no solos in "Wannabe" so she didn't need it).

#7 The ICONIC Brits performance that featured "The Dress" 

#8 The AMAZING Olympics performance

#9 It was released in July of 1996 so it was THE SONG OF THE SUMMER (in UK)! This performance is from Spring of 97 in USA but it feels Summery! haha

#10 The song went #1 in over 20 countries! I-CON-IQUE!

#11 The single is PLATINUM in 8 countries! 

#12 Weird fact - the single was release 6 months earlier in Europe than it was in USA, thus why it felt like Geri literally quit the group as soon as they got started in the USA. 

#13 The B-side to "Wannabe" is the underrated BOP "Bumper To Bumper":

#14 "Wannabe" hit #1 in USA on 2/21/1997

#15 "Wannabe" became the best-selling single by a girl group in the world, with 1,385,211 and 2,910,000 copies sold in United Kingdom (by 2015) and United States (by 2014), respectively, and over 7 million copies worldwide by the end of 1997. - Per WIKIPEDIA

#16 "Wannabe" kicked off fashion trends due to the girls' outfits!

#17 This cassette pictures will bring back memories!

s-l640.jpg.b23d963fe64fa0ace67ae72de2951d97.jpg

#18 The girls attempted to recreate the "Wannabe" music video outfits in their 2019 reunion and did a pretty good job!

wannabe1.jpg.2c23f68e3aba03b5ee1b8dff7490244b.jpg

#19 They reunited in front of the iconic staircase from the music video!

Wannabestairs.jpg.cc8873cfa36d7eba58cc22c9835a0255.jpg

#20 "Wannabe" won 2 Brit awards in 1997

#21 "Wannabe" was the 1st single from the album Spice which won Album of The Year at the US Billboard awards in 1997 

#22 "Wannabe" kicked off the 1997 year for Spice Girls when they also won New Artist of The Year, Hot 100 Singles Group of The Year and Album Group of the Year at the US Billboard awards.

#23 "Wannabe" is one of the most instantly recognizable songs upon the first the first 5 seconds of the song!

#24 "Wannabe" kicked off the career of the most successful girl group of all time!

#25 "Wannabe is still timeless until THIS DAY!!! 

I hope these 25 reasons to celebrate EDUCATES any of the pop music newbies out there and brings back a lot of nostalgia for older fans!  VIVA LA SPICE GIRLS!

WannaBe25.jpg.b7204981560f146ac86574312b79de33.jpg

**** that’s a well put together thread! Appreciate all the hard work you did.

Was never a really big fan of them but my sister was. I remember when this came out. Good memories. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, OnlyBritney said:

I remember recording Viva Forever music video on VHS-cassette:tifftear_miss_ny_new_york_ms_crying_wipe_tears_sad:

and replaying it all days long for it was my absolute favorite:tiffsniffle_ny_miss_new_york_crying_sobbing_sad_tears:

as a kid I used to be playing with dolls and dad kept saying that it was not normal :tiffanycries_ny_new_york_miss_tiffany_pollard_crying_tears_sobbing_sad:

Viva Forever MV  was like a therapy for my agonizing lil gay heart :wendycry_wiliams_panicked_crying_tears_upset_sad:

I never saw that video until YouTube came about and it disturbed me lol I wasn't released in USA

• Love 2

I've never really been a big fan of theirs but I do enjoy the songs I know!

I do appreciate that they are the biggest girl group EVER and are very iconic! They've inspired many other girl groups, including my faves.

It's great to see they are all still so successful and it is nice they do these comebacks for their fans!:) My social media was absolutely flooded with people posting they went to their recent reunion tour! (I live in the UK so you can imagine how big/loved they are here haha).

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Slayer said:

I've never really been a big fan of theirs but I do enjoy the songs I know!

I do appreciate that they are the biggest girl group EVER and are very iconic! They've inspired many other girl groups, including my faves.

It's great to see they are all still so successful and it is nice they do these comebacks for their fans!:) My social media was absolutely flooded with people posting they went to their recent reunion tour! (I live in the UK so you can imagine how big/loved they are here haha).

They truly had charisma and charm at their peak!

• Love 1

I wonder if they could convince Victoria to come back one final time for a single livestream concert. They are all the rage during these Covid times, and she wouldn't have to deal with the stage fright of being in front of a huge crowd or traveling and doing multiple shows. Just one big show, on one big stage with really intricate set pieces and effects that they could never get away with over the road.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, MikeSim said:

I wonder if they could convince Victoria to come back one final time for a single livestream concert. They are all the rage during these Covid times, and she wouldn't have to deal with the stage fright of being in front of a huge crowd or traveling and doing multiple shows. Just one big show, on one big stage with really intricate set pieces and effects that they could never get away with over the road.

I think they are working on her tbh! I read that the 5 of them have spent time together over the past year and Victoria couldn't even attend the show because she was so sad that she didn't work up the courage to do it. I hope she gets out of her own way and does it!

I am so sad Victoria didn't have a solo part in Wannabe. I know Victoria got to sing "if you really want to bug me than I'll say goodbye" when they performed as a four piece without Geri.

I truly hope that Victoria does come back one more time,  I know we'll keep dying for more once they do perform as a five piece again. The magnitude of all 5 is so amazing.

"Power of four, there's room for more", however .... "Power of five, keeps the love alive"

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block