Selena Gomez's drops new video for "Baila Conmigo" with Rauw Alejandro

ILuvMe

On 1/29/2021 at 12:05 PM, BritneyWithGlasses said:

just look at brit after 4 years of heavy meds... TBT: How far she's come - 10 years on from Britney Spears' meltdown -  Independent.ieMay 14, 2012 - New York, New York, U.S. - Singer/judge BRITNEY SPEARS Stock  Photo - Alamy

you know there’s more than one type of meds in the world and each one have different side effects, right ? Britney doesn’t take corticoids or immunossupressants chronically (luckily). Glasses are also for reading, Britneywithglasses

23 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

I love Selena so I'm excited every time she releases a new song/video, but.....

I know that this is a pop forum and most people will dismiss my following comment, but I'm being serious and honest: that video shows and instills SYMBOLIC VIOLENCE.

I hate that they chose to show vulnerable people and parts of Latin America in the video; and even worse, glamorizing it by making it part of a music video. All that's shown there is real, or based on real stuff, but that shouldn't be a comfortable or easy way of showing who we are as a region. It's a violent representation of us because it stigmatizes what some people think of us, or how they see us, and it perpetuates this image and idea in time. It's symbolic because they are not saying it directly, and most people won't realise it, and it's violent because it's taking the power of (or combating against) these communities. It's dangerous because it's basically saying that it's OK, or that it should be or will stay this way.

In one scene they even show a painting of Selena on a random wall as if she were some kind of icon that we worship from poverty. She's selling high-priced make up for privileged people but then when she decides to make music in Spanish she goes the other way around and plays it like she's part of a totally different culture or that she has direct access to it. No, she doesn't.

Just like you North American people love pointing out cultural appropriation, this is a biased look at an incredibly rich and diverse region of the world.

I thought it was a beautiful video. I thought the cinematography is very well done. The colors are beautiful, the lighting, the camera work. It's actually really tasteful and artistic. I agree that the video does seem to glamorize poverty, but to say that this is violence is really an overreaction. 

4 hours ago, Korb said:

I thought it was a beautiful video. I thought the cinematography is very well done. The colors are beautiful, the lighting, the camera work. It's actually really tasteful and artistic. I agree that the video does seem to glamorize poverty, but to say that this is violence is really an overreaction. 

I think the same thing! The video is beautiful, but because art can make anything beautiful. It is beautifully done.

It is not an overreaction. As I explained, this is SYMBOLIC violence:

Symbolic violence describes a type of non-physical violence manifested in the power differential between social groups. It is often unconsciously agreed upon by both parties and is manifested in an imposition of the norms of the group possessing greater social power on those of the subordinate group

• Like 1

I like the song but I wish she had more shots in the music video, she looks stunning based on the few seconds she was in the video I wish we had seen her more instead of that storyline :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile: but this EP is supposedly a visual EP so I get the storyline being a big part of the video

5 hours ago, bliss said:

I like the song but I wish she had more shots in the music video, she looks stunning based on the few seconds she was in the video I wish we had seen her more instead of that storyline :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile: but this EP is supposedly a visual EP so I get the storyline being a big part of the video

Supposedly there will be another video with more close ups of Selena and Rauw coming soon.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block