What are your thoughts about ceasing to exist after you die?

mono-yuumi

• We all have a death sentence since the day we born.

What are you thoughs about this? Do you find it weird that you are gonna die?

Me: I do. I'm 23 and just lossed my grandpa and my aunt a couple weeks ago and it's really frightening to me to "ceasing to exist", mainly because all I know is "existing".

I'm not religious, and I don't know about an afterlife (doesn't make much sense to me), although I've been researching and till today it is not cientifically proved that the consciousness comes from the brain 100%.

Give me your thoughs, babes.

Sloth Good Morning Love GIF by reactionseditor

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes it's weird when u think about that we were born to die and it will happen to everybody and that it has to be so sad for others. Life isn't about death tho, we're not here to overthinking it, the point of life is to take the best of it, have fun, learn, be happy, make our dreams the reality etc. I'm not religious - anything like that, I'm kinda spiritual and I believe in reincarnation tbh cause that makes sense - our souls want experience humanity in every way, as poor, rich, as a woman, a man etc. We want to grow by doing this and when our souls are experienced enough, they go to the light, heaven - something like that. 

After death there can as well be the same thing we felt before we were born - nothing and it's totally okay too. 

I've tried to believe in spirituality and after life or that our spirit lives on etc but deep down I don't really believe that....I believe we're just dead. and that's it. 

I've never thought I was scared of death but when I had a near death experience I felt a true desperation to survive and I realized how strong the human will to live is. 

I'm actually pregnant right now and it's trippy to think I'm creating a human being who will inevitably endure some sort of suffering and die. It makes me feel guilty. But then, if I had just ceased to exist, I wouldn't have experienced amazing things about life either. 

On 1/30/2021 at 10:49 AM, MX3 said:

I've tried to believe in spirituality and after life or that our spirit lives on etc but deep down I don't really believe that....I believe we're just dead. and that's it. 

I've never thought I was scared of death but when I had a near death experience I felt a true desperation to survive and I realized how strong the human will to live is. 

I'm actually pregnant right now and it's trippy to think I'm creating a human being who will inevitably endure some sort of suffering and die. It makes me feel guilty. But then, if I had just ceased to exist, I wouldn't have experienced amazing things about life either. 

Did you saw/felt something in your NDE? A light maybe?

2 hours ago, mono-yuumi said:

Did you saw/felt something in your NDE? A light maybe?

No, nothing like that. I just was filled w adrenaline and a desperate need to live. I’ve been depressed and suicidal before many times throughout my life, so feeling that strong will to live was incredible and something I’ll never forget. 

I was raised as a Christian, but I'm not very religious. I think that after life, judgement day etc are more like a myth to be honest, in order to maintain our faith and hope. Like when some ancient civilizations wrote about the end of the world, but it never happened.

I just try not to think about death and live the most out of each day.

My religion taught me that when we die, we are dead. We don't go to heaven or hell. The Bible alludes to death being like a "deep sleep" various times, a state of non-existence sort of. But we do believe in a future resurrection of the dead, after a few Bible prophesies are accomplished!

1 hour ago, Peanut said:

My religion taught me that when we die, we are dead. We don't go to heaven or hell. The Bible alludes to death being like a "deep sleep" various times, a state of non-existence sort of. But we do believe in a future resurrection of the dead, after a few Bible prophesies are accomplished!

I am not exactly of the Christian religion / follow the Bible teachings but being an existentialist, have researched this particular part - I’m glad that you have brought it up.

Many falsely believe that we will go straight to heaven or hell after death but it’s a misconception, we are in utter oblivion according to the bible until the day God judges us - then as a group we go to either heaven or hell. That’s about right isn’t it?

2 hours ago, geminidreams said:

Many falsely believe that we will go straight to heaven or hell after death but it’s a misconception, we are in utter oblivion according to the bible until the day God judges us - then as a group we go to either heaven or hell. That’s about right isn’t it?

I'm fairly new to Bible study (I study with the Jehovah Witnesses) even though I've been raised Christian and know some of it. According to them and Revelations 14:1, only a small batch of Christians, 144,000, are going to heaven. They also dont believe in hell. I'm convinced this is correct. About judgement, when the dead resurrect, righteous and unrighteous, the unrighteous will be judged and will be taught about God. 

2 hours ago, geminidreams said:

God judges us - then as a group we go to either heaven or hell. That’s about right isn’t it?

This is a prophecy! Somehow God will make Himself known and separate those who feared Him and those who disobeyed. Apparently the ones who feared and obeyed Him will inherit the new earth, which Jesus Christ will be the ruler of. The ones who did otherwise will be thrown into the fiery Gehenna (not actually hell but a metaphor for complete destruction, it was also a dump in Jerusalem where they burned trash and dead bodies, so no torture)!

9 hours ago, Peanut said:

This is a prophecy! Somehow God will make Himself known and separate those who feared Him and those who disobeyed. Apparently the ones who feared and obeyed Him will inherit the new earth, which Jesus Christ will be the ruler of. The ones who did otherwise will be thrown into the fiery Gehenna (not actually hell but a metaphor for complete destruction, it was also a dump in Jerusalem where they burned trash and dead bodies, so no torture)!

Thank you kindly for all of the information! That is fascinating, I’ve always considered the rapture to be the most interesting of all. It’s also fairly frightening that such a small amount will be accepted into heaven - is heaven and inheriting the new Earth two different things in that respect?

4 hours ago, geminidreams said:

Thank you kindly for all of the information! That is fascinating, I’ve always considered the rapture to be the most interesting of all. It’s also fairly frightening that such a small amount will be accepted into heaven - is heaven and inheriting the new Earth two different things in that respect?

Your welcome! I gladly provide info, especially about God! I will have to look more into the rapture part but from what I understand, right before Armageddon, God will "kill" all of whatever's left of the 144,000 anointed ones on Earth and turn them into spirit form to go to heaven and rule with Christ. The anointed ones who who died a long time ago are already ruling with Christ since 1914 (when Christ started to reign in the heavens). 

Also, don't be afraid. In Psalm 37:29 it says that the righteous ones will inherit the Earth and live forever in it. It's also the same in 37:11. Jesus Christ will rule the Earth from the heavens. That is the kingdom we ask for in prayer and wait that it will come. We are only half way there because Jesus is the ruler of the heavens but Satan and his demons of the Earth. Everyone in heaven does God's will but not here on Earth. We will wait for the day when God imprisons the Devil and his demons so Jesus can finally reign Earth as well! Everything will be restored to how originally was supposed to be, the Earth a paradise and perfect humans! So the 144,000 will inherit heaven and the rest of humanity  beautiful Earth! This a long read but if you're more curious you can go on Jw. Org and there's a lot of info there! It seems you are a curious person and God listens to and loves people like that, who are curious about His word. 

Archived