today's celebs have no charisma

2 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

K-pop mostly has billions of views because of excessive streaming, and then again, most of their streams come from Asia, it's big but not HUGE. :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

maybe back then, but right now it's getting bigger than ever, there are a lot of westerners that listen to kpop, i'm from europe and k-pop is talked about a lot here , we had an award show recently and BTS was nominated

i remember before covid was here, BTS sold out a few shows in my country

the thing is that, america kinda has a weird relationship with cheesy corporate high budget blockbuster pop music, sometimes they will love it and other times they will find it cheesy,  america is more into rap and boring minimalist pop while europe is more open minded about other genres of music

2 hours ago, dr34mc0r3 said:

maybe back then, but right now it's getting bigger than ever, there are a lot of westerners that listen to kpop, i'm from europe and k-pop is talked about a lot here , we had an award show recently and BTS was nominated

i remember before covid was here, BTS sold out a few shows in my country

the thing is that, america kinda has a weird relationship with cheesy corporate high budget blockbuster pop music, sometimes they will love it and other times they will find it cheesy,  america is more into rap and boring minimalist pop while europe is more open minded about other genres of music

I was going to bring up a point but I used my fave K-pop group as an example and it made me sad to think about because of a certain reason haha so I'll just leave the K-pop discussion at that. :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

Europe appears to be more open-minded about dance-music, America is more open-minded about Hip-Hop/R&B. 

• Love 1

I think the comparison between artists from different decades is pretty unfair.

To make an icon, someone who leaves a stamp in the course of pop culture, it takes on thing that any artist from the past 5 years doesn't have: time.

In 2006, that girl Rihanna was just an island girl with forgettable music and little charisma and icon appeal. She grew and became an A-List name. She was able to be one of the first artists to make the jump from physical sales to digital and thrive in the streaming era. But she was at the right place at the right time.

In the 70s, 80s, media was much more closed in the sense that it was easier to dictate what people would consume, and there would be a bigger production behind up and coming artists. It took bigger investment to make a profit.

What's 'pop' has changed. Pop is a mutable genre. Artists like Taylor Swift never make huge performanes with choreographies and hairflips.

The music the GP consumes nowadays are not made for grand perfomances. Normani tried to do a britney-esque perfomance, but it didn't catch, because it's not whats hot right now. But it's a cycle, and I believe that that will return in some years.

Nowadays, everyone can choose their icon. There is an endless choice of artist from different genres that one can choose. And to put an artist on the radar costs much less than then. The investiment is lower, because there is no need to go big, you can just upload anything and become a star. You are not dependent of what's hot on MTV.

The way that we consume music has changed a lot. There is so much choice, that its hard to keep the consumer's attention for a long time. That's why Ariana is ****ting albums every other week (even though I think that that can be dangerous too, the over exposure- but that's another topic)

These younger stars have massive competition and it is so much more difficult to make a difference in a saturated industry. That doesn't mean they are boring. Their struggle now is to create longevity. And I think Ariana and Dua are creating personas that allow that, in the long run. It takes time.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block