today's celebs have no charisma

I completely agree but I’m also old.

the only examples of new pop stars I can think of who are unique and genuinely exciting to me are Billie ellish, dua lipa, Doja cat, and Harry styles... 

Rap is even worse I remember being excited about rappers like Kendrick Lamar, Drake, A$AP rocky, Travis Scott.....and now we have new rappers like lil uzi, roddy rich, pop smoke or pop can or whatever, lil baby....:jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek: even Megan the stallion for all her hype is kinda ****ty (IMO) 

• Love 2

I been binge watching thats so raven and I forgot how funny it was even as a 28 yr old. Raven and lizzie Mcguire were my Disney era. Anyways it led me down a Google search asking who the IT girls on Disney were now and why Disney isn't the same and Google just ended up telling me that I may not find the new Disney shows good because I'm not their demographic audience anymore. :notfeelinit_ny_tiffany_pollard_miss_ms_new_york_meme_sunglasses_bed_mad_waiting_crossed_hands:

I threw my phone and went to sleep because how dare they :byesmoke_tiffany_miss_ms_ny_new_york_sitting_smoking_cigarette:

With that being said i think everything is instant gratification now days. If its longer than 30 sec people aren't interested. Its why songs are getting shorter and shorter.

We live for a album concept and a proper roll out. Today they care if it can go tik tok viral and literally anyone can become famous.

• Like 4
On 1/22/2021 at 8:49 PM, Jordan Miller said:

I don't think it's that younger celebs don't have charisma, I think as we get older we don't identify with them so we don't see the appeal. :walkonby_britney_sunglasses_walking_oh_hi_smile:

This is very true but also the music industry doesn't have the money it once had and it changes everything.

They used to release different version of each album, collectors, 5 or 6 singles, big productions for every music video etc...and it helps a lot creating an "icon". Now they're asking those new signed artist to wear headphones in a random Tiktok video to get the money from the partnership with the headphone brand and call that a promo. :eheeek_britney_unsure_ew_gross_um_awkward_embarrassed_cringe:

Also those kids love being famous for being famous so I feel like they don't feel the need to show so much creativity as before :fran_frog_meme_green:

• Like 4

They definitely don't make "superstars" anymore - Lady Gaga is prob the last one I can think of. Even people like Taylor Swift who are huge now wouldn't have been anything in the 90s or early 00s. She has no personality, doesn't have an amazing voice, isn't a good performer, and her songs are just kind of cute and yet everyone loves her. Everything now is about just being cute and just good enough. The bar went way down.

I have a theory about that. The bar for musicians/performers was always very high - you really had to rely on talent. Britney had incredible talent and charisma and then when she stopped serving amazing performance in 2005, it's like the whole bar for entertainers went way down. That's around when people started really appreciating live singing and songwriting even if the performance wasn't good or the singer wasn't charismatic. So I wonder if Britney kind of influenced music in that way.

• Love 4
  • Like 4
10 hours ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

There's definitely been a shift in how popstars are marketed/how they market themselves. It used be all about the glitz, glamor, showmanship, and being larger than life. Now, it's a lot more subdued - the focus is on realism and relatability. :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

This about summarized what I was going to say. It's just a cultural shift.

The 2000s were about sort of a collective single mass pop culture where entertainment, shock, performances, etc. were highly valued.

Today's culture seems to value rawness, relatability, authenticity (think of Britney who has most of her songs written for her, a whole team around her managing her vs Billie Eilish who basically writes, produces, and sings all of her music at home, about her life, with her brother), and artistry/creativity in the sense of writing/music/visuals rather than entertaining performances, impressive dancing, or shocking music videos.

• Love 3

It's no secret that since the 2010's, pop star's aren't "discovered" anymore. They're bought. :mhmsureny_hmm_thinking_ponder_unsure_what_Tiffany_pollard_ny_New_York_miss_ms_sure:

All of the breakthrough acts within the past couple years either had a ridiculous amount of money to self-start (Billie Eilish) or have a gigantic industry machine backing them (Olivia Rodrigo). Gone are the days of the Britney's and the Jlo's being plucked out of obscurity at open auditions.

Taylor Swift really paved the way for the girls to start buying their careers. Remember when Taylor Swift's rich bank-president father (ALLEGEDLY ALLEGEDLY ALLEGEDLY) bought 10's of thousands of copies of her debut album in order to land her in the top 10 on the Billboard 200 with an indie record with NO promo? 

Who's to say that Disney isn't (allegedly) doing the same exact thing right now for Olivia Rodrigo????????? :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

Honey, it's payola. :eheeek_britney_unsure_ew_gross_um_awkward_embarrassed_cringe:

• Love 9
3 hours ago, MX3 said:

I completely agree but I’m also old.

the only examples of new pop stars I can think of who are unique and genuinely exciting to me are Billie ellish, dua lipa, Doja cat, and Harry styles... 

Rap is even worse I remember being excited about rappers like Kendrick Lamar, Drake, A$AP rocky, Travis Scott.....and now we have new rappers like lil uzi, roddy rich, pop smoke or pop can or whatever, lil baby....:jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek: even Megan the stallion for all her hype is kinda ****ty (IMO) 

Doja Cat reminds me of the old superstars, she has that wild-factor, i hope she will have longevity

And i agree with rap, it's getting so stale nowadays, except maybe underground rap

• Like 4
2 hours ago, ol123 said:

The way we sometimes poke fun at Britney's "bad" performances and yet they're still better than most of the girlies out there today. :gloss_mirror_young_little_girl_smile_child_makeup_lipstick_lipgloss_lips_pink:

The way Britney's "fail" performances where bigger pop culture events than some of today's "best" performances :receipts2_britney_um_browsing_browse:

1 hour ago, SpookyFish13 said:

It's no secret that since the 2010's, pop star's aren't "discovered" anymore. They're bought. :mhmsureny_hmm_thinking_ponder_unsure_what_Tiffany_pollard_ny_New_York_miss_ms_sure:

All of the breakthrough acts within the past couple years either had a ridiculous amount of money to self-start (Billie Eilish) or have a gigantic industry machine backing them (Olivia Rodrigo). Gone are the days of the Britney's and the Jlo's being plucked out of obscurity at open auditions.

Taylor Swift really paved the way for the girls to start buying their careers. Remember when Taylor Swift's rich bank-president father (ALLEGEDLY ALLEGEDLY ALLEGEDLY) bought 10's of thousands of copies of her debut album in order to land her in the top 10 on the Billboard 200 with an indie record with NO promo? 

Who's to say that Disney isn't (allegedly) doing the same exact thing right now for Olivia Rodrigo????????? :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

Honey, it's payola. :eheeek_britney_unsure_ew_gross_um_awkward_embarrassed_cringe:

That's just awful, i can see why people like Billie so much, but that Olivia girl ? I don't really get it :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

i kinda believe the payola theory. She just appeared from nowhere and already has a huge media exposition...

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block