Dua Lipa: I'm not successful because of my beauty

6 hours ago, corpsetranger said:

:ririshade2_rihanna_eyeroll_roll_eyes_annoyed_irritated_mad::ririshade2_rihanna_eyeroll_roll_eyes_annoyed_irritated_mad::ririshade2_rihanna_eyeroll_roll_eyes_annoyed_irritated_mad: What a pretentious little brat. She's giving me Katy Where-Is-She-Now Perry level arrogance vibes. One truly successful era and it looks like it's already gone to her head. Somebody should inform her that she's still got a LOT to prove. She can spew this kind of delusional nonsense when she's celebrating 25+ years of relevance and hits. Until then, I invite her to take several seats. :ohi_okay_chewing_gum_well_welp:

What in the world -

Her response is 100x more genuine and level-headed than this ridiculous comment (in which you bash two women).

• Love 3
  • Haha 1

First of all, Dua is not beautiful, she's GORGEOUS.

Second of all, she was super respectful and thoughtful while answering the question BUT she's either lying to herself by thinking or saying that only her hard work (which no one doubts obviously, especially not after EVERYTHING she did in 2020, among all years) led to her success, or she's not aware of how privileged she is.

Also, pop culture is, at least, 51% appearance (however that looks in any given place and time). You have to attract people, and everything comes through the eyes first.

9 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

Dua Lipa was asked about the power of her beauty, and that stuck with her. She feels like she's reached her level of success because of her talent, not her looks. 

"I've been thinking about it almost every day, and I was just a little bit taken aback," she tells Rolling Stone.

"I've never really seen being pretty or beautiful as some kind of power. It's never been something that I identify with and — with no disrespect to you, obviously — I feel like I was a little bit shortchanged in a way, because I don’t feel like I’ve gotten to where I am because of that."

She adds: "I'm extremely hardworking and driven, and I feel like that's the reason why I got to where I am, through my hard work and my drive, and I just wanted to make that clear because it has been playing on my mind." 

What's wrong with your beauty contributing to your success? :deserves_kim_kardashian_smirk_pink:

I feel like only a beautiful people would say what she said :forkit_britney_ice_cream_ellen_glory_eating_yum_spoon_food:

Thoughts, Exhale? 

Related:

dua-beauty.jpg.ee958c77851bf053e475f4591e49296a.jpg

Yeah... So why did you made that shooting? Grab a sweater, record your own “Folklore” and let’s see what happens... B***h, you’re a popstar!!! You use your beauty, just watch “Studio 2054”!!! Is she trying to be humble or she’s just so ******g arrogant?

Does she really think she got where she is now because she’s a talented singer and writer? No gurl, it is...

Spoiler

SIMPATHY AND PAYOLA!!!

nicki minaj GIF

Does she write and produce her songs ? I don't think so, does she dance? Not really , does she come up with choreography ? No , does she sing well ? Hmm heard better , she's successful because her songs are catchy and she is pretty , I'm not saying she's not working hard but in comparison to other female artists that I know she does very little , she's hiring people to do most of the job for her , maybe in the future she will be on another level and write and direct her own art , honey , ur not solange and not michael jackson . and besides there are tons of artists out there that create everything and do it originally and still not as successful .....

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, ExXL said:

Does she write and produce her songs ? I don't think so, does she dance? Not really , does she come up with choreography ? No , does she sing well ? Hmm heard better , she's successful because her songs are catchy and she is pretty , I'm not saying she's not working hard but in comparison to other female artists that I know she does very little , she's hiring people to do most of the job for her , maybe in the future she will be on another level and write and direct her own art , honey , ur not solange and not michael jackson . and besides there are tons of artists out there that create everything and do it originally and still not as successful .....

She came up with the concept of Future Nostalgia (even the title) and co-wrote all the tracks on that record :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

• Love 2
  • Like 1

I feel like she gave a good answer but I agree that it’s a little delusional. She could have acknowledged that women are expected to look a certain way, or she feels a pressure to stay thin, whatever any kind of acknowledgment of the beauty standard in the industry - or a joke like “wow people are buying my albums cause of the way I look?” I don’t know. But not every response is perfect and touches on every issue lol...

she just had a super successful album and did work hard w the visuals, remix album, that Netflix episode, promo performances so I’m sure she’s feeling like she gave it her all and wants to believe her hard work paid off - even tho part of that hard work is serving beauty.... 

It's threads like these that make me wish I could still downvote people. :badthoughts_gun_kris_genner_thinking_debating: Dua Lipa is not only gorgeous, she's also incredibly talented. Y'all can say what you want about her, but hardly any of the other pop girls kept us fed in 2020 like she did. I'm sure her beauty is a part of her success, but at the end of the day, looks only go so far. Her talent is ultimately why she's been so successful. 

• Love 6
  • Like 1
53 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Hahaha not your English. It was a joke since you’ve had your fair share of typos :orangu_orangutan_ape:

Omg yess my typos- :queenie_falling_dying_dead:

Sometimes I know I did a typo but I am just lazy to re-edit it :orangu_orangutan_ape:

But even I would never mistakenly write sympathy as "SIMPATHY" like my paranoid butt wouldn't allow me to sleep at night :roxxy:

• Haha 1

Dua sis I respect you and like your music but to pretend that your looks and *** appeal is not a contributing factor to your success is beyond delusional.

This is pop music we're talking about and you're not exactly the voice of our generation. You are definitely successful because of your music, but your looks and your imagine are propelling those things further than they could ever go alone.

edit: also, everybody "works hard". Like give me a break...

• Like 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block