Britney was the 3rd most streamed pre-2000 female artist in the US in 2020

3 hours ago, e-mailmyheart said:

Your arguments are valid and I agree with almost everything you said, however I continue to insist that Jlo had an impact on pop culture no greater than Britney's, but it is greater than Katy Perry's (which I think has already he should have won at least one grammy, despite not following his career), that of Kesha and that of Avril, for example.

Unlike Britney who stopped being interested in showbiz and going to awards ceremonies, Jlo has always made a point of being present at everything, I don’t think that makes her look desperate, she loves being inside the fashion world and likes the Hollywood glow. I can't say much about Avril because I know little about her career, but in my opinion she had no more impact on music than Jlo.

By the way, Jlo has many more fans than Avril and even the vast majority of women in music, because she has a large music market, she does not limit herself to singing in English, she has always given importance since she was very young in her career to the Latin market and the Latin market is huge, so it is normal for it to reach many more people with her music.

I think Jlos impact on pop culture is bigger bc she does everything - even tho she isnt that respected regarding anything -, her Versace dress was a big thing and people think shes pretty and shes a hard worker. She takes herself very seriously even tho I think she lacks talent. I think Katy had a bigger peak than Jlo ever had, she had idk how many number one singles from a same album like MJ. Jlo is more liked as a performer and shes always on the media, but I feel like Katys hits are way more remembered and liked by the gp. Shes flopping so hard rn but her old hits still get so many streams from YouTube and Spotify. I dont see Jlos music being that celebrated or remembered by the gp/media, but Jlo is more famous than Katy, thats true. Today Avril isnt that talked about, but from 2002-2007 she was huge. She had such a big debut album and she was the anti Britney and after her, there were many others young stars promoting themselves as smt completely different from Britney like Kelly Osbourne, Michelle Branch, etc. Her debut album did so well that the media were always comparing to 'Britney' in order to make 'Britney' to seem like a flop and that Britney was fading away. Even Britney talked about that on an interview. So at her peak, I think Avril did better than Jlo ever did, but I agree that since 2011, Jlo is way more remembered than her as a public figure, as a star, even tho Jlos music flops harder than Avril's. Kesha also had a very huge debut with tik tok, but in the following years ever since her battle with Dr Luke, she didnt hold the power she had before. 

I think Jlo is a narcissist lol she loves the attention, shed never risk of being forgotten by the media/gp. I mean, even Beyoncé disappears for a while between eras, but Jlo is always on award shows and selling her romance lol I think shes desperate like Madonna, even tho Madonna even seems to be less on the spotlight than her lol ofc thats my opinion. 

I was talking about gp, her latest album flopped into oblivion, her songs never do well. Avril is still doing better than her somehow. Im from Brazil and Jlo was never this big here. She was never an icon like Madonna, Shakira, Britney, Beyoncé and Gaga. Even Thalía was way bigger than Jlo ever was here. Jlo did shows here many years ago and people said they flopped so much. I dont even see Jlo being that worshipped by gays, I never met one that was her stan, even tho they all think shes so pretty. I know girls that were huge Avril's fans growing up, but I dont know people that grew up listening to Jlo here in Brazil. 

Overall Id say people arent interested in her music here. And @PokemonSpears can say the same thing about Mexico. Of course I cant talk about the other latin countries, but Id guess she was never big like Shakira in any way. 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wonder why Whitney was so high... no pun intended.  Jlo should be higher, she did so much last year and released a few singles, and one was actually good. 

and half of these were Britney recording her twirling videos 

Beyoncé's new artistic name confirmed: Beyonc? 

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Bundy said:

Overall Id say people arent interested in her music here. And @PokemonSpears can say the same thing about Mexico. Of course I cant talk about the other latin countries, but Id guess she was never big like Shakira in any way. 

the thing I always say is that I think for most people, for the longest part she was just the actress that played Selena on that movie. Other than that, she was just another American singer, that just happened to have Latin roots. But she never really cared to appeal to Latin countries at the beginning of her career. She released Spanish versions of her early songs, but I think if any, at least here in Mexico, the English versions were more successful (I just say it by memory, 'cause I don't really have any data to confirm). And still, in things like MTV's Top 10's and yearly Top 100, she was never in high positions. Not to mention, she could barely speak Spanish.

I think Christina Aguilera had a wider acceptation with her Spanish album and hits, even though she spoke less Spanish than Jlo :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: if Christina had wanted to, she could've become a Latin legend. People were actually shocked that she didn't speak Spanish, not only because her name sounds "more Hispanic" than Jennifer, but because her songs sounded so good. Sadly she never did a follow-up nor cared to released a Spanish version from some of her later singles. 

And yeah, as you say, I think Jlo is more known as a public figure, like, for her relationships, her movies, and of course her image, 'cause she's really hot and has always been labeled as a *** symbol. She did have some hits here, but not more than Christina or Avril or people like that. It wasn't until On the Floor, which was like a super hit, that people really started to have her on the map again, and somehow started relating her to the Latin culture, mostly because of her collaborations with Pitbull and such. 

I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean

43 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

the thing I always say is that I think for most people, for the longest part she was just the actress that played Selena on that movie. Other than that, she was just another American singer, that just happened to have Latin roots. But she never really cared to appeal to Latin countries at the beginning of her career. She released Spanish versions of her early songs, but I think if any, at least here in Mexico, the English versions were more successful (I just say it by memory, 'cause I don't really have any data to confirm). And still, in things like MTV's Top 10's and yearly Top 100, she was never in high positions. Not to mention, she could barely speak Spanish.

I think Christina Aguilera had a wider acceptation with her Spanish album and hits, even though she spoke less Spanish than Jlo :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: if Christina had wanted to, she could've become a Latin legend. People were actually shocked that she didn't speak Spanish, not only because her name sounds "more Hispanic" than Jennifer, but because her songs sounded so good. Sadly she never did a follow-up nor cared to released a Spanish version from some of her later singles. 

And yeah, as you say, I think Jlo is more known as a public figure, like, for her relationships, her movies, and of course her image, 'cause she's really hot and has always been labeled as a *** symbol. She did have some hits here, but not more than Christina or Avril or people like that. It wasn't until On the Floor, which was like a super hit, that people really started to have her on the map again, and somehow started relating her to the Latin culture, mostly because of her collaborations with Pitbull and such. 

I dont remember if Selena was that big in Brazil, but I remember the first time I saw if you had my love, someone told me she was the woman who did Selena and I couldnt believe bc she looked so different. 

We speak portuguese, but Spanish songs used to be huge here back in the day (Ricky Martin, Shakira, Thalía or even Julio Iglesias...) and Jlo was never talked about the same way these people were for being latin and huge in Brazil. I remember Mi Reflejo being quite a big deal in Latin countries, even here. Her version of Pero Me Acuerdo de Ti was so huge here, the video was always on MTV. Falsa Esperanzas and Ven Conmigo too. I remember people were shocked when they found out Christina didnt speak Spanish at all. Of course we dont speak Spanish, but her Spanish always sounded so good to our ears. Sadly Christina never did another Spanish album and I wonder why. I think she had everything to become someone like Shakira in latin america. Of course she was really successful here with her english songs, but she could have become a true latin legend. U talked about her name sounding too "hispanic" and I remember it was such a big deal here in Brazil when people found out her dad was from Ecuador lol Im glad she used her real surname and never gave in to the pressure of having a more English name like Spears. 

But yeah, Jlos songs were never that huge in MTV here too, she was never as big as Britney, Christina or even Avril. 

I always felt Jlo became more known for her public figure, for being an "actress who turned into a singer" (smt she criticized Madonna for doing just a year before lol), for being always dressed up on the public eye, for being considered attractive, for always whoring her relationships lol, for being a business woman, etc, than for her songs or having huge pop iconic moments or being such a pop icon. I mean, besides her green dress, whats iconic about her looks, songs, performances and videos? Even Avril had that tomboy phase that was really copied by teenagers at the time. 

I dont think Pitbull was never that big here in Brazil, but on the floor was a hit, thats for sure, but I feel like after OTF, people didnt really care about her music again. 

On 1/15/2021 at 5:17 AM, Bundy said:

Thank u!!! Obviously half of her followers are fake and the other half are people who believe she doesnt photoshop her pics to death. She isnt relevant at all in music for over a decade, she isnt this icon or legend at all, but she is always on the news desperate for attention. 

Even Avril has more streams than JFlop.

I mean, you’ve got a point there. I don’t hate JLo or anything but its very fishy that she has this huge amount of followers yet no one listens to her :weirdmeout_umm_ok_what_weirded_britney: she performed at the SuperBowl yet made no impact on her music :slowdown_down_cardib_b_cardi_um_fast_confused_what_stare:

also she appears at literally every award shows even though she never wins any **** :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

20 hours ago, Bundy said:

I think Jlos impact on pop culture is bigger bc she does everything - even tho she isnt that respected regarding anything -, her Versace dress was a big thing and people think shes pretty and shes a hard worker. She takes herself very seriously even tho I think she lacks talent. I think Katy had a bigger peak than Jlo ever had, she had idk how many number one singles from a same album like MJ. Jlo is more liked as a performer and shes always on the media, but I feel like Katys hits are way more remembered and liked by the gp. Shes flopping so hard rn but her old hits still get so many streams from YouTube and Spotify. I dont see Jlos music being that celebrated or remembered by the gp/media, but Jlo is more famous than Katy, thats true. Today Avril isnt that talked about, but from 2002-2007 she was huge. She had such a big debut album and she was the anti Britney and after her, there were many others young stars promoting themselves as smt completely different from Britney like Kelly Osbourne, Michelle Branch, etc. Her debut album did so well that the media were always comparing to 'Britney' in order to make 'Britney' to seem like a flop and that Britney was fading away. Even Britney talked about that on an interview. So at her peak, I think Avril did better than Jlo ever did, but I agree that since 2011, Jlo is way more remembered than her as a public figure, as a star, even tho Jlos music flops harder than Avril's. Kesha also had a very huge debut with tik tok, but in the following years ever since her battle with Dr Luke, she didnt hold the power she had before. 

I think Jlo is a narcissist lol she loves the attention, shed never risk of being forgotten by the media/gp. I mean, even Beyoncé disappears for a while between eras, but Jlo is always on award shows and selling her romance lol I think shes desperate like Madonna, even tho Madonna even seems to be less on the spotlight than her lol ofc thats my opinion. 

I was talking about gp, her latest album flopped into oblivion, her songs never do well. Avril is still doing better than her somehow. Im from Brazil and Jlo was never this big here. She was never an icon like Madonna, Shakira, Britney, Beyoncé and Gaga. Even Thalía was way bigger than Jlo ever was here. Jlo did shows here many years ago and people said they flopped so much. I dont even see Jlo being that worshipped by gays, I never met one that was her stan, even tho they all think shes so pretty. I know girls that were huge Avril's fans growing up, but I dont know people that grew up listening to Jlo here in Brazil. 

The musical impact of Jlo was different from Avril and Katy for example, Avril when she appeared was a teenager, so the target audience was teenagers, just like Britney. When Jlo released her first album, she was almost 30 years old and yes, in music, it didn't have a big impact like Madonna, it didn't bring anything new and her genre is not the same as the artists you mentioned, but in pop culture there was, such as the Versace dress, the relationship with P. Diddy, some iconic performances such as Let's get loud and the Super Bowl as well as clothing lines, perfumes and makeup, in addition to being well known for her roles as an actress and now also a producer. When will Avril?

Where are Agee’s three left fans to see this list? :umok_pursed_squint_well_okay:

We all know Mariah is #1 because of that mediocre and generic Christmas song, Britney and Shakira are legends. Where is Beyonc? tho? :imdying_wendy_crying_sad_tears_sobbing:

9 hours ago, e-mailmyheart said:

The musical impact of Jlo was different from Avril and Katy for example, Avril when she appeared was a teenager, so the target audience was teenagers, just like Britney. When Jlo released her first album, she was almost 30 years old and yes, in music, it didn't have a big impact like Madonna, it didn't bring anything new and her genre is not the same as the artists you mentioned, but in pop culture there was, such as the Versace dress, the relationship with P. Diddy, some iconic performances such as Let's get loud and the Super Bowl as well as clothing lines, perfumes and makeup, in addition to being well known for her roles as an actress and now also a producer. When will Avril?

JLo is never named as a popculture icon.

On 1/15/2021 at 10:07 PM, Blackout2006 said:

Ion know lol. Rock and metal doesn’t sound like a genre popular there. I thought they like Euro-pop?

What are you smoking? Captain America Laughing GIF by mtv

Of course people in Europe also listen to all kinds of rock and metal. Americans really don't know that much beyond their borders lol. The Rolling Stones are british as are 

Muse

Gojira are from France

Rammstein are from Germany 

Volbeat are from Denmark

Within Temptation 🤍 are from the Netherlands

Nightwish are from Finnland

Lacuna Coil are from Italy

Paradise Lost, who are one of my favourites, are also british.

And that's of course just a micro extract of European rock, metal, gothic...

• Like 1
On 1/14/2021 at 4:17 PM, Bundy said:

Thank u!!! Obviously half of her followers are fake and the other half are people who believe she doesnt photoshop her pics to death. She isnt relevant at all in music for over a decade, she isnt this icon or legend at all, but she is always on the news desperate for attention. 

Even Avril has more streams than JFlop.

I cringe so hard when people say JLo is a legend or an icon! She hasn’t  been musically successful or relevant since 2003 minus On The Floor thanks to Pitbull! She’s not a very good actress and is essentially Paris Hilton at this point aka famous for being famous and pretty! I was honestly surprised to even see her in the top ten! 

Shakira above Britney really shocks me but I guess people in Spanish speaking countries must really love her yodeling/goat voice! 

19 hours ago, alienatedNey said:

I mean, you’ve got a point there. I don’t hate JLo or anything but its very fishy that she has this huge amount of followers yet no one listens to her :weirdmeout_umm_ok_what_weirded_britney: she performed at the SuperBowl yet made no impact on her music :slowdown_down_cardib_b_cardi_um_fast_confused_what_stare:

also she appears at literally every award shows even though she never wins any **** :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

I never saw any other artist with over 100m follows flopping so much like her. If Im not mistaken, there was a list not so long ago talking about which stars had more fake followers, and she was one of them. 

She isnt doing good on Spotify and her new songs flop into oblivion no matter how hard she tries and the media are always licking her ***. It doesnt make any sense. Yeah, I remember how some people and media were trying to say she outshined Shakira (lol) on the superbowl, yet Shakira was the most talked about and had more songs charting higher on iTunes. 

Shes always on award shows, giving interviews, having paparazzi following her ***, on the cover of magazines, yet her songs and movies still flop :idgi_dont_get_it_how_confused_what_hmm_umm_thinking:

18 hours ago, e-mailmyheart said:

When Katy released I kissed a girl, she was 23 years old, she wasnt a teen anymore. 

Im sorry but which lets get loud performance? Ive never heard of an iconic performance from her. Yeah, her superbowl was talked about, but Shakira was the one who was more talked about on the internet and had songs charting higher. Also the past two superbowl performances were panned, so whatever shed do, would look better anyway. And I dont think her relationship with P Diddy was iconic at all. I dont see media and people talking about. 

I think Jlo became someone that tries to do everything, but became more famous for being famous. She makes bank and is very hands on her career, but It doesnt mean shes making an impact on music. I dont see her music being celebrated by gp, gays, media, whatever, no matter how much she tries and put new music out a lot. And her work as an actress was never taken seriously. Her movies made no impact on the film industry whatsoever. 

I agree shes more famous than Avril and is more remembered by media, but it seems that people arent that interested in her music. Avril sold more records and had a bigger impact at the time of her debut, so I still think she was more important to music. Ofc thats my opinion. 

6 hours ago, lustwecantcontrol said:

I cringe so hard when people say JLo is a legend or an icon! She hasn’t  been musically successful or relevant since 2003 minus On The Floor thanks to Pitbull! She’s not a very good actress and is essentially Paris Hilton at this point aka famous for being famous and pretty! I was honestly surprised to even see her in the top ten! 

Shakira above Britney really shocks me but I guess people in Spanish speaking countries must really love her yodeling/goat voice! 

People try so hard with her, even saying Britneys fans are bitter bc she cares about her career, is a better "performer" and whatever lol 

Why I would be bitter/jealous about a try hard that lacks charisma, has ****ty music, isnt respected as an artist, flops into oblivion and I was never blown away by her skills as a performer anyway? If I had to be bitter/jealous about another pop stars career would be someone like Gaga that I think is talented, respected and can do very well when she pushes herself like she did on her superbowl or on the ASIB soundtrack. I dont give a **** about Jlos career, I dont listen to her music and I dont even pay attention to her, but for some reason some people here want to convince us shes such an icon (!!!) and If we dont agree, we are jealous and delusional lol i dont see people giving a lot of **** about her on social media, except some people here lol from what Ive seen, I dont see her music having this impact or her being an icon like Britney, Beyoncé or Gaga. 

Also what I want for Britney is that she can be free and live her life as she pleases and deserves. If she decides to retire, itll be sad, but she deserves to do what she wants once in her life, so I def dont care If shes not performing rn lol 

I think u said it all... Jlo nowadays is like a Paris Hilton, being famous for being famous while she flops at everything she does.

Shakira and Jlo had a superbowl performance last year, thats why they got these streams, especially Shakira that was the most talked about. Shakira is really loved in Latin America. Lol her voice is weird, but I think shes talented. I think she deserves the success she got.