Selena Gomez’s new music video for "De Una Vez" is out!

Towelney

13 hours ago, Towelney said:

It’s out!

:disappointed_thinking_oh_okay_glasses: Beautiful visuals. Predictable sound/way of singing. So far, not impressed. I hope this is the transition track from Rare:disappointed_thinking_oh_okay_glasses: So far it's like Rare. Good for a couple of listens but not something I'd go back to. Still, let's see what she's got up her sleeve. :)

13 hours ago, cocodeluxe said:

So I just watched it and I dont really know what to think. It seems like an intro to a visual album :ineedthetruth_oprah_huh_um_thinking_confused_what_truth_stare:

It got me thinking the same. :omggg_shocked_hand_old_lady_woman_surprised:

• Love 1
8 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

she seems to be singing like those reggaetoneros which usually come from places like Colombia or Puerto Rico or Dominican Republic.

It's tricky, because as a Mexican their pronunciation sounds wrong to me, mainly when they skip some letters in the words, like the letter S or pronouncing the R as L. But the other day I was reading and apparently all these regional variants are recognized as "dialects" of the Spanish language, so they're correct in their context...

Thing is, in the past, people from all those places, like, actual singers, despite having a particular pronunciation in normal conversations, they would pronounce the words correctly while singing. People like Shakira, Ricky Martin, Chayanne, Juanes, etc, I was shocked the first time I heard them speaking in interviews and such, because they sound nothing like in their songs. But lately, with the urban genres taking over, they've stopped caring about having a proper pronunciation in music, and it's like they do it on purpose as a stylistic choice.

Despite all of this, Selena still sounds weird, like you still can tell she's a foreigner, but is not THAT bad, as to say I don't understand a word she's saying, she just sounds funny. Plus the song itself is weird.

I see what you're saying, specially about Shakira. I can tell you she has a neutral accent in comparison to most people from Barranquilla. Lol. But yeah, it would sound messy if she sang the way she speaks. It makes sense for urban genres, tho, but I can tell you some of the colombian reggaeton artists sometimes try to emulate the way artists from Puerto Rico sound, and it sounds unnatural. I think that's what happens with Selena here. She just can't pull it off, and it's rather cringeworthy. 

11 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

'De una vez' is short for 'de una vez por todas' which means 'once and for all'

So there's really no literal translation, or it would be like "once and..." :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: But we do use the short form in Spanish because the full meaning is implicit. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

Oh I see. When I saw her Facebook post, it first translated it to ‘Once Again’ and then to ‘Once Upon a Time’ :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mantequilla said:

I see what you're saying, specially about Shakira. I can tell you she has a neutral accent in comparison to most people from Barranquilla. Lol. But yeah, it would sound messy if she sang the way she speaks. It makes sense for urban genres, tho, but I can tell you some of the colombian reggaeton artists sometimes try to emulate the way artists from Puerto Rico sound, and it sounds unnatural. I think that's what happens with Selena here. She just can't pull it off, and it's rather cringeworthy. 

yeah, because for Selena it sounds as if she has no clue how Spanish sounds like lol as someone else has said, if the demo or the producer or whoever told her how to sing this song would've done so in a "neutral" accent, she could've probably pulled it off. 

1 hour ago, Isla said:

Oh I see. When I saw her Facebook post, it first translated it to ‘Once Again’ and then to ‘Once Upon a Time’ :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

well, reading my previous comment, "de una vez" is actually used in other contexts too, like when you're gonna do something right away, before something else happens. But in Selena's song it does mean "de una vez por todas" (once and for all), as it's revealed in the chorus. 

• Love 1

Couple things to say.

1. I'm a native Spanish speaker. Her accent or whatever that was during the entire song sounds very strange and...it was sort of off putting. I appreciate people singing in other languages that they're not fluent in and making their best attempt at it, so I don't want to be too critical of these things because I know it can be a very difficult and intimidating thing to attempt, but it was hard for me to ignore her strange accent in this song. She just sounds very...awkward. A for effort, I guess.:jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

2. She looks VERY pretty in this video. Very Disney princess-esque. Love that. 

3. The song is unremarkable and boring. I just listened to it and I literally cannot hum you the melody of it. It's just bland nothingness. 

4/10

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Here's what I have a problem with...

1. We know that she doesn't actually speak any Spanish (I'm not mad about that) but why make a song in a language you yourself don't even speak?

2. Her Latin roots are Mexican, yet she's emulating a Puerto Rican accent in several of the words. While both are Spanish, the dialect is different so the fact that she's singing in an accent not even native to her, just shows how out of touch she is with this song.

3. There is ZERO passion or emotion in this song - again, because she probably doesn't even know what she's saying.

4. The song is boring...

• Love 1
  • Like 3

The lyrics are really cliche... again it’s another “you broke my heart but now I’m stronger than ever” which is a good message but the way it’s done here just seems so repetitive... like how many times do we have to hear you’re over Justin, if you need to say it that many times it kinda seems like you’re not actually over him :teigen_chrissy_eek_awkward_um_cringe:

Maybe I would like it more if I didn’t understand Spanish. 
she sounds really bored and sleepy, even more than when she sings in English. 
And really, “Baila Conmigo” for an album title? That has to be the most generic Spanish phrase ever

• Haha 1
  • Like 2

I knew the comment section was gonna roast her....the song is a snooze though. No quiero. I prefer Drake singing in Spanish more than her. Visually it was cool and you can tell this video was not cheap though. The sound sounded like something from Rosalia's catalog. Selena we just want happy bops. Porfavor, gracias. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block