Selena Gomez’s new music video for "De Una Vez" is out!

Towelney

29 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I think something that English speakers, or any foreign language, have when they talk or sing in Spanish is that, besides pronunciation, the pitch they use sounds unnatural, like too high or I don't know what is it :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

That said, she does sound like a Mexican singer, Ximena Sariñana, whose way of singing annoys most of the people :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

Hurmm understand.. But do you think the vocal guide on the demo (if there's any) sung buy a native speaker/singer? If there's a demo, Selena can easily mimic the pronunciations. Because I memorized some MandoPop songs and I literally mimicking the artist's pronunciations and my Mandarin speaking friends said my pronunciation is good lol

Do I like it? Yes

Is it extremely short? Yes

The Heart Wants What It Wants/Lose You To Love Me - Spanish Version? Yes.

This girl needs to write about something else, it's tiring at this point. I dig it tho, and the video is awesome. I think Baila Conmigo it's coming really soon, if not in a couple of hours, since this was released before midnight, kind of like an intro. That would explain it's length.

25 minutes ago, sutramaya said:

Hurmm understand.. But do you think the vocal guide on the demo (if there's any) sung buy a native speaker/singer? If there's a demo, Selena can easily mimic the pronunciations. Because I memorized some MandoPop songs and I literally mimicking the artist's pronunciations and my Mandarin speaking friends said my pronunciation is good lol

she seems to be singing like those reggaetoneros which usually come from places like Colombia or Puerto Rico or Dominican Republic.

It's tricky, because as a Mexican their pronunciation sounds wrong to me, mainly when they skip some letters in the words, like the letter S or pronouncing the R as L. But the other day I was reading and apparently all these regional variants are recognized as "dialects" of the Spanish language, so they're correct in their context...

Thing is, in the past, people from all those places, like, actual singers, despite having a particular pronunciation in normal conversations, they would pronounce the words correctly while singing. People like Shakira, Ricky Martin, Chayanne, Juanes, etc, I was shocked the first time I heard them speaking in interviews and such, because they sound nothing like in their songs. But lately, with the urban genres taking over, they've stopped caring about having a proper pronunciation in music, and it's like they do it on purpose as a stylistic choice.

Despite all of this, Selena still sounds weird, like you still can tell she's a foreigner, but is not THAT bad, as to say I don't understand a word she's saying, she just sounds funny. Plus the song itself is weird.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

I really liked the aesthetic in the music video and she looks very pretty. As for the song... :rihstare_rihanna_well_stare_staring_fingers_looking_around: it didn't do much for me... the slim traces of Central American accent made me think of how much she is jumping on trends :selena_red_carpet_gomez_um_stare:... that little outro sounded cute, though. Is 'Baila Conmigo' the title of the album in Spanish? Well if it is, I hope it sticks to the name. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

she seems to be singing like those reggaetoneros which usually come from places like Colombia or Puerto Rico or Dominican Republic.

It's tricky, because as a Mexican their pronunciation sounds wrong to me, mainly when they skip some letters in the words, like the letter S or pronouncing the R as L. But the other day I was reading and apparently all these regional variants are recognized as "dialects" of the Spanish language, so they're correct in their context...

Thing is, in the past, people from all those places, like, actual singers, despite having a particular pronunciation in normal conversations, they would pronounce the words correctly while singing. People like Shakira, Ricky Martin, Chayanne, Juanes, etc, I was shocked the first time I heard them speaking in interviews and such, because they sound nothing like in their songs. But lately, with the urban genres taking over, they've stopped caring about having a proper pronunciation in music, and it's like they do it on purpose as a stylistic choice.

Despite all of this, Selena still sounds weird, like you still can tell she's a foreigner, but is not THAT bad, as to say I don't understand a word she's saying, she just sounds funny. Plus the song itself is weird.

I see.. thanks for the explanations. As a person who use English as second language and only know Spanish from the telenovela really appreciate this :)

• Like 1

I don't speak spanish, so I don't know about her pronunciation.
But I really like the vibe of the song, that's chill and cool. I can picture myself listening to it and move my shoulders :madance_madonna_dancing_party_bw_black_white:

I absolutely love the video, the aestetic is beautiful and classy.

I agree the song is short, but it seems to be the general trend lately... :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

For me Selena is more than over, I see her at the same level of disinterest as Demi or Xtina in the way she barely makes me want to listen to her or empathize with her :notfeelinit_ny_tiffany_pollard_miss_ms_new_york_meme_sunglasses_bed_mad_waiting_crossed_hands:

And now, even more, because of this poor attempt of singing in Spanish when she doesn't understand anything, just because now North America is finally valuing other cultures and languages... it's a no for me :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

btw, it's Frida Kahlo her new  reference ?:spit_lmao_spitting_spraying_lol_hehe_haha_laugh_jlaw_jennifer_lawrence:

• Love 2

So my second language is Spanish and I’m half Mexican. Is my Spanish perfect? Nope. I can get by in Mexico and other places, but I would never try to sing material in Spanish (if I were a recording artist)

That said, I feel like she might get dragged for this...:eheeek_britney_unsure_ew_gross_um_awkward_embarrassed_cringe:

I say this because

1. The song is hella short 

2. The song is hella slow

3. Is it me or does she mumble or sound like she is? 

4. To add onto three you can tell she doesn’t speak Spanish...

Add those things together and some might feel that shes not really trying...I respect her for going for it, but I will tell you right now, its hard for a non native speaker to sing a song in Spanish and make it sound fluid. Which is probably why she went with a slower tempo.

Ustedes entienden? 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block