This Day in Pop: Britney Spears releases 'Hold It Against Me' single in 2011 (January 10)

1 minute ago, Brit Brit said:

Lowkey makes me depressed that 2011 was ten years ago... I remember when this song/video came out, AND when the album came out. All the leaks prior to the album dropping... so many memories.

:crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad: I was in my last year of high school, I feel so old :fakecry_christina_aguilera_xtina_crying_tears_wipe_sad:

I remember that last semester we used to have so many free hours between classes and I would go to the school's cafeteria, and all the videos they would play would be so good, like, not just Britney, but all the other pop acts were releasing great stuff. Also that tv channel, I think it was Fuse, would always do Britney marathons and my classmates would shout to me to run to the cafeteria and watch it :bop_beyonce_dancing_yes_Yas_cheer_party_glasses:

Then the second semester of 2011 I entered college, and all the fun was gone :dead_falling_wig_dying: but I still got Criminal towards the end of the year :wendy_williams_bop_listen_music:

• Love 1
  • Like 1
  • 11 months later...

The face of a blond woman. She has her hands on her cheeks and her wavy hair seems to be in motion, next to her eyes. On the lower left corner, the words "hold it against me" are written in black small letters. Below them, the words "BRITNEY SPEARS" are written in black capital letters.

"Hold It Against Me" is a song by American singer Britney Spears from her seventh studio album, Femme Fatale (2011). It was written and produced by Max Martin, Dr Luke and  Billboard, with additional writing by Bonnie McKee.

"Hold It Against Me" has received mostly positive reviews from most critics.

Hold It Against Me GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

After its first day of release in the United States, "Hold It Against Me" set the record for most radio plays during a first day, registering 619 plays on Mediabase and 595 plays on Nielsen Broadcast Data Systems.

Hold it against me britney spears britney spears hold it against me GIF on  GIFER - by Bludbrew

In 2012, it was voted as the best song to reach the top position on the Hot 100 over the past two years, in Billboard's "Hot 100 March Madness" poll for readers.

Shattered Glass vs. Hold It Against Me - Britney Spears - BreatheHeavy |  Exhale

The video for "Hold It Against Me" was filmed on January 22 and 23, 2011. It was directed by Jonas Akerlund while Brian Friedman served as the choreographer. Video was later VEVO certified.

Sales:

Australia (ARIA)- Platinum (70 000)

Mexico (AMPROFON)- Gold (30 000)

New Zealand (RMZN)- Gold (7 500)

South Korea ----no certification---(672,356)

Sweden (GLF)- 2X Platinum (80 000)

UK (UPI)- Silver (200 000)

US ---no certification--- 1 600 000

• Love 2