Is blackout EMO?

What a great question!  

Is Britney Jean a highly conceptual album about fame? Fame on a leash?

it’s subjective.

Emo, often considered a rock music genre, but it can be attributed to any genre, is characterized by an emphasis on emotional expression, sometimes through confessional lyrics.

Britney didn’t write the majority of the songs on Blackout, but they could be considered confessional in the sense they are referencing her life from the first person.

However, most songs on the album don’t deal with emotional expression except “Why Should I be Sad”, which is the perfect Emo song literally and metaphorically 

So, not really. It’s actually a lot more Punk than Emo.

• Like 1

no... emo means nothing in this context. a terribly misconstrued and misused word. It's so over used as a broad term to describe a multitude of things... Actual "emo" music existed in the late 80's and was a subgenre of punk rock, "emo" is a shortening of "Emotional hardcore punk rock".

Nowadays there is emo-rap like Lil Peep, Juice wrld, Xxxtentacion, Ghostmane... 

Blackout couldn't be more far way from that vibe. Blackout is not depressing or melancholic except maybe for two songs (Heaven on Earth, Why should i be sad) ,

Blackout is more like hallucinatory and mellow stripper music.