Nicki Minaj loses copyright lawsuit, must pay Tracy Chapman $450,000

2 hours ago, limezd said:

She asked to be allowed to use the sample. Tracy said NO. She still recorded it and release it/leaked it. That’s very disrespectful.

Just because a song is not officially release / leaks that does not mean the artist is not getting paid.

why do you think Jive uploaded all of the Britney unreleased songs/demos/besides on Spotify? To make money off of it. 

There’s artists that value their work. Tracy is one of them. While she might not have huge amounts of hits songs, she was a Grammy winning (something Onika is not) multi platinum selling artist in her prime.

songs like Fast Car, Baby Can I Hold You, Talkin’ ’Bout A Revolution and Give Me One Reason are her bread winners. Why should she license them to other artists? So they can make money off of her by writing a rap to go with it and taking the credit for it?

These songs a not non-hit songs, they were monster songs back in the day. For some of you not familiar with Tracy Chapman.

Thanks Tracy for standing up for the legacy you created for yourself when no one believes in you. You go girl!

I don't think it was Jive who uploaded the Britney unreleased stuff to Spotify. It was a random user that uploaded them as podcasts. 

But anyways, I do think that if it's registered by the label, then it does count as a professional recording even if it's not properly released. But in that case I think Nicki Minaj's label should be the one paying? Or I don't know what are the clauses of her contract. 

Seeing so many Nicki fans miss the point. It's a matter of principle.

Nicki, and frankly no artist, didnt just write songs just for fun, they write them with an intent on sharing them; whether it's on an album, a stand alone single etc. but they're made with an intention to be released, which will profit the artist.

If you are going to use another artist's intellectual property, credit them. They made the work you are now using. You're using their work.

If they say no, either keep up conversations or scrap the sample.

Producers are still being paid to work on the songs, meaning money is being made. At Nicki Minaj's level, the money is there for credits and royalties to be paid correctly. If she and her team is choosing not to, it's purely selfish reasoning; they feel entitled to someone else's work.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

I don't think it was Jive who uploaded the Britney unreleased stuff to Spotify. It was a random user that uploaded them as podcasts. 

But anyways, I do think that if it's registered by the label, then it does count as a professional recording even if it's not properly released. But in that case I think Nicki Minaj's label should be the one paying? Or I don't know what are the clauses of her contract. 

I agree with everything you said except the label having to pay.

No, the label did not release the song to the radio or put it on her album for a reason. The copyright did not work out with the original songwriter.

Whatever she chose to do with the unauthorized sample is her own problem. Not the labels. they are no amateurs and know how to protect them self ... by not release if the song in any format. that’s why she paid the price.

Now if the producer leaked it, she always has the option to sue him or settle it out of the courtroom with that person.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, limezd said:

I agree with everything you said except the label having to pay.

No, the label did not release the song to the radio or put it on her album for a reason. The copyright did not work out with the original songwriter.

Whatever she chose to do with the unauthorized sample is her own problem. Not the labels. they are no amateurs and know how to protect them self ... by not release if the song in any format. that’s why she paid the price.

Now if the producer leaked it, she always has the option to sue him or settle it out of the courtroom with that person.

well, if she really leaked the song herself, then she is to blame. But if it wasn't leaked, and still was copyrighted by the label, as a Nicki Minaj song, then I think they do have part of the responsibility too.

Usually record labels own all the material an artist records, whether it gets released or not.

2 hours ago, FemmeFataleBrit said:

Given that her career died in 1988, I’m not surprised. 

Actually Tracy sold 13 million albums in USA with her first 4 albums alone. Her first album sold 20 million world wide by itself.

Compared to Nicki with 6.5 million sold in USA with 4 albums:

Tracy has a career that spans 33 years.

Nicki hasn had a hit song in the last 2-3 years, and it’s been only 10 years since she release her first album.

Talk about longevity.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

well, if she really leaked the song herself, then she is to blame. But if it wasn't leaked, and still was copyrighted by the label, as a Nicki Minaj song, then I think they do have part of the responsibility too.

Usually record labels own all the material an artist records, whether it gets released or not.

I did not know that, but I’m sure there’s a reason why they did not put the song on the album. They did not get the copyright.

And seeing how nicki does not own her masters it’s good to know that Tracy Chapman’s songwriting credits did not end up in someone else’s hands  as well when her label sold off her masters last year. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, IForgotYouExisted said:

I mean...it's only fair you ask permission to officialy and professionaly record a song that samples another one. I mean...that's like the only logical thing to do first in my opinion.

She could have avoided tvis by simply ASKING. It's more of a respect thing to me.

On the other hand...she doesn't make a single penny out of it since it's unreleased so I don't get why she must pay them for something she didn't officialy release.

Buttt then again. The way she quickly agreed to pay must mean she was aware they did something faulty? I mean...what does she have to lose if she's right in her shoes???

Weird.

The thing is she did ask. She asked more than once and was told no every single time but the song was still recorded and leaked. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Naes614 said:

Tracy Chapman is a legend. I listen to her masterpiece of an album all the time. The song Across the Lines is one of the best songs ever written. Tracy bleeds honesty I’m her writing and song delivery. These young kids will never know!!

Yes! That’s my favourite song on that album as well!

I’d tag my gorl Chapman on Instagram, but she has the good sis Style blocked. I hope you enjoyed $16.34 after lawyer fees for three years! Nicki going to hop on a song tonight and make 500k (no album out). :imdying_wendy_crying_sad_tears_sobbing: Want the 50k babe? Enjoy the small gestures from a humble queen! :imdying_wendy_crying_sad_tears_sobbing:

450k is what Nicki made after Move Ya Hips so please Tracy sis, BROKE PEOPLE SHOULD NEVER LAUGH. :roxxy: 

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, limezd said:

Actually Tracy sold 13 million albums in USA with her first 4 albums alone. Her first album sold 20 million world wide by itself.

Compared to Nicki with 6.5 million sold in USA with 4 albums:

Tracy has a career that spans 33 years.

Nicki hasn had a hit song in the last 2-3 years, and it’s been only 10 years since she release her first album.

Talk about longevity.

Actually Nicki scored two number ones in 2020 back to back and those song were smash hits, especially in the European and American markets. She’s also top #10 one of the most listened artists in the world on Spotify. 

She fought for streams and impacted both pop culture and rap culture at the same time. Superbass alone is more iconic that Tracy’s whole discography why are u talking ****? 

TALK ABOUT LONGEVITY AND IMPACT! Tracy could never! Nicki’s universal, this broke bich is local. :imdying_wendy_crying_sad_tears_sobbing:
Papa Bear alone has generated more buzz on the internet than Tracy did in the last 30 years. Bye. :imdying_wendy_crying_sad_tears_sobbing:

• Haha 2
58 minutes ago, Style. said:

I’d tag my gorl Chapman on Instagram, but she has the good sis Style blocked. I hope you enjoyed $16.34 after lawyer fees for three years! Nicki going to hop on a song tonight and make 500k (no album out). :imdying_wendy_crying_sad_tears_sobbing: Want the 50k babe? Enjoy the small gestures from a humble queen! :imdying_wendy_crying_sad_tears_sobbing:

450k is what Nicki made after Move Ya Hips so please Tracy sis, BROKE PEOPLE SHOULD NEVER LAUGH. :roxxy: 

If your girl is busy making original content then why is she trying to rip off other artists to collect coin after being told not to more than once? :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

Listen, I love Nicki, but this ain’t it. Tracy is a classic and respected. Nicki knows that or she wouldn't have tried to sample her music.:lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

She knew she’d lose this case if it went to trial so she said F it lemme pay the lawyer fees and take the track down etc, so Nicki is smart on that. :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

People make mistakes. Move onto another argument sis. :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

• Love 2
  • Haha 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block