Nicki Minaj loses copyright lawsuit, must pay Tracy Chapman $450,000

I mean...it's only fair you ask permission to officialy and professionaly record a song that samples another one. I mean...that's like the only logical thing to do first in my opinion.

She could have avoided tvis by simply ASKING. It's more of a respect thing to me.

On the other hand...she doesn't make a single penny out of it since it's unreleased so I don't get why she must pay them for something she didn't officialy release.

Buttt then again. The way she quickly agreed to pay must mean she was aware they did something faulty? I mean...what does she have to lose if she's right in her shoes???

Weird.

• Love 1
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, OnlyBeyonce said:

but she hasn't released officially the song, isn't fair to me

Well, had she released it I’m sure it would have cost her more like 5 mill. ;)

Dumb cnut. When a person says NO, you respect their decision.

end of the story.

creat your own art. 

• Haha 3
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, OnlyBeyonce said:

an artist should be allow to try and create inside his recording study. 
So no one can try to sing a song anymore? :eheeek_britney_unsure_ew_gross_um_awkward_embarrassed_cringe:

She asked to be allowed to use the sample. Tracy said NO. She still recorded it and release it/leaked it. That’s very disrespectful.

Just because a song is not officially release / leaks that does not mean the artist is not getting paid.

why do you think Jive uploaded all of the Britney unreleased songs/demos/besides on Spotify? To make money off of it. 

There’s artists that value their work. Tracy is one of them. While she might not have huge amounts of hits songs, she was a Grammy winning (something Onika is not) multi platinum selling artist in her prime.

songs like Fast Car, Baby Can I Hold You, Talkin’ ’Bout A Revolution and Give Me One Reason are her bread winners. Why should she license them to other artists? So they can make money off of her by writing a rap to go with it and taking the credit for it?

These songs a not non-hit songs, they were monster songs back in the day. For some of you not familiar with Tracy Chapman.

Thanks Tracy for standing up for the legacy you created for yourself when no one believes in you. You go girl!

• Love 5
  • Like 4
20 minutes ago, limezd said:

She asked to be allowed to use the sample. Tracy said NO. She still recorded it and release it/leaked it. That’s very disrespectful.

Just because a song is not officially release / leaks that does not mean the artist is not getting paid.

why do you think Jive uploaded all of the Britney unreleased songs/demos/besides on Spotify? To make money off of it. 

There’s artists that value their work. Tracy is one of them. While she might not have huge amounts of hits songs, she was a Grammy winning (something Onika is not) multi platinum selling artist in her prime.

songs like Fast Car, Baby Can I Hold You, Talkin’ ’Bout A Revolution and Give Me One Reason are her bread winners. Why should she license them to other artists? So they can make money off of her by writing a rap to go with it and taking the credit for it?

These songs a not non-hit songs, they were monster songs back in the day. For some of you not familiar with Tracy Chapman.

Thanks Tracy for standing up for the legacy you created for yourself when no one believes in you. You go girl!

Wasnt fast car sampled by jonas blue tho??

1 minute ago, ronron said:

Wasnt fast car sampled by jonas blue tho??

Yes. But she’s credited as the sole songwriter. So she makes song writing royalties for it. 

not shared song writing credits because someone added a “ha uhaaa” to the lyrics. 

I’m positive nicki used a ghost writer on her lines and took credit for that. Had Tracy agreed, nicki would have gotten half of the song writing credit for something she absolutely didn’t help write/creat but only sang on.

that’s straight up from the Beyoncé book.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, OnlyBeyonce said:

but she hasn't released officially the song, isn't fair to me

I guess when you are N.M. you have certain responsibility. Using the other persons work for yourself, and making this usage public, is her responsibility. Its team NM who used it, and whoever in her team leaked it.

• Like 4

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block