quit smoking

Dirk

so its the fourth day without smoking

i always fail it when i try to stop it but here we go

it will probably last 15-20 days

anyone has tips? im exercising everyday to deal with the anxiety of no nicotine and i know it makes me feel extra hungry so i have to watch it or i will be phat 

• Like 2

Apparently everytime you crave a ciggie, text someone. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/06/06/319419853/r-u-ready-to-quit-smoking-texting-can-help?t=1609835024614

https://www.nhs.uk/news/cancer/text-messages-help-smokers-quit/

Here are some additional tips

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/quit-smoking/10-self-help-tips-to-stop-smoking/

You will gain weight if you condition yourself to expect that. Your natural appetite will return which means you’ll want to eat more. Drink fluids and eat the right foods, then you should eventually be fine. It will work out in the long term. Exercise of course.

You can do it!

I gave up smoking years ago. The easiest reason was my oral health drastically improved. The hardest thing was it’s association with being social. The chat outside with a stranger, the night out with friends, the heart to heart with a loved one. Eventually, I realised the association was based around nervousness and wanting to fit in. Breathing techniques helped  calm me (smoking is about deep breathing anyway). And, with time I understood being yourself is more important that wanting to fit in or please others. 

Good luck 

Edit: Setting goals in exercise really helped me too. Especially swimming, also running, biking and hiking. Even walking. They are all aerobic exercises, so they help clear out the lungs and oxygenate the blood. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Congratulations thats awesome! I pretty much quit for three years but would smoke one here and there :gimmemoar_britney_hat_more_gimme_giggle_haha_hehe_lol_2007_vmas_lmao:

Anyway, I picked the habit back up last year during the pandemic and I was up to a pack a day :umomg_britney_shocked_wow_omg_surprised_eyes_wide: 

I quit last month and today makes 17 days :unbelievableney_happy_smile_joy_overjoyed_excited_yay:different things work for different people. I’ll list mine, but first of all I want to say that my antidepressant is helping BUT i still get cravings.

1. Hard candy or mint/cinnamon gum

2. Coloring or doing something with my hands

3. I cut out drinking. Its too triggering.

4. I do smoke mary jane a few times a day. Definitely helps.

5. Exercise helps too.

6. Set a goal with rewards. When you hit 30 days use the money you have saved and buy yourself something. Do it again at 60, 90. Also, add up how much money you spend on cigs every month. Multiply that by 12 and I bet you’ll see you could take a vacation.

7. I can’t be around smokers. Its too triggering 

8. Coffee is triggering but I’m not ready to give it up so I limit myself.

9. When you get a craving go for a walk outside or around the house and take deep breaths. Cravings typically subside within 5-10 mins

10. Sunflower seeds usually help me but for whatever reason I have not needed them this time. 

I also just read that it takes on average 66 days to form a new habit. You said that you typically fail at 20 days which is normal BUT if that happens again don’t quit on quitting. Keep at it! 

• Love 2
  • Like 1
53 minutes ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

Congratulations thats awesome! I pretty much quit for three years but would smoke one here and there :gimmemoar_britney_hat_more_gimme_giggle_haha_hehe_lol_2007_vmas_lmao:

Anyway, I picked the habit back up last year during the pandemic and I was up to a pack a day :umomg_britney_shocked_wow_omg_surprised_eyes_wide: 

I quit last month and today makes 17 days :unbelievableney_happy_smile_joy_overjoyed_excited_yay:different things work for different people. I’ll list mine, but first of all I want to say that my antidepressant is helping BUT i still get cravings.

1. Hard candy or mint/cinnamon gum

2. Coloring or doing something with my hands

3. I cut out drinking. Its too triggering.

4. I do smoke mary jane a few times a day. Definitely helps.

5. Exercise helps too.

6. Set a goal with rewards. When you hit 30 days use the money you have saved and buy yourself something. Do it again at 60, 90. Also, add up how much money you spend on cigs every month. Multiply that by 12 and I bet you’ll see you could take a vacation.

7. I can’t be around smokers. Its too triggering 

8. Coffee is triggering but I’m not ready to give it up so I limit myself.

9. When you get a craving go for a walk outside or around the house and take deep breaths. Cravings typically subside within 5-10 mins

10. Sunflower seeds usually help me but for whatever reason I have not needed them this time. 

I also just read that it takes on average 66 days to form a new habit. You said that you typically fail at 20 days which is normal BUT if that happens again don’t quit on quitting. Keep at it! 

Congrats to you too! 

Sounds like you are ready to write a book about how to give up smoking! 

Interesting you mention sunflower seeds, maybe it’s the physically of breaking open the shell and chewing each seed one by one. That is if it’s pipas you mean.

Alcohol is a big trigger, for sure, one of the worst, and intense social situations, especially in the beginning, but once you get past all the initial cravings and triggers (in time they fade), you’ll be fine and maybe you’ll drink again one day.

I mentioned the texting because as you say using your hands helps a lot, and having social support too. 

Haha I really think walking is the answer to everything. A good walk will solve almost every human problem! Coupled with a good amount of deep breathing. 

Well best of luck! Hope it works out for you 

• Like 1

UNPOPULAR OPINION: I had success quitting by buying a juul, using it occasionally. Just to help with the initial shock of no more cigarettes. Once I was out of the habit of cigs, I hardly used the juul and eventually stopped. It was like a weaning process. Quitting the juul wasn’t hard at all. But that’s what helped me! I know people feel like that’s a “wrong step”, but it was a realistic and successful step for me. Not saying get addicted to the juul or anything. Good luck to ya! I believe in you :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support: