Choreographer Brian Friedman Shares Original Concept He Wrote For Britney Spears' "Toxic" music video

Is he broke or something? Why bring this up? I've always thought it was odd that he kept posting all these rehearsal videos of her, to my delight admittedly (but probably without her consent). He also seems to be using her brand (Slave) for some dance studio sessions he was doing.

He does seem bitter. Wade has always been the better choreographer anyway, IMO.

• Love 1
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, reputation said:

Brian’s gonna fume :demi_lipstick_flirt_red_pink_makeup:

Does Joseph have some sort of alert for when there's a disturbance in the fan base? He's so prompt!

8H4Z.gif

Britney has said she loved working with Brian and appreciated his contributions. I always thought he was pretty highly regarded among the fanbase. This just seems like unnecessary drama...

I just want everyone to get along :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

• Like 1
On 1/3/2021 at 12:42 AM, Codemysta90 said:

It recently was brought to my attention that there is conflicting information regarding the creation of the Britney Spears music video "Toxic".

My question is, is there confusion or misinformation?:receipts2_britney_um_browsing_browse:

I know Toxic is iconic and all but, it was released 16 years ago, it's not like people are wondering now how it was created or whose idea it all was. :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, filmandstage13 said:

Does Joseph have some sort of alert for when there's a disturbance in the fan base? He's so prompt!

Britney has said she loved working with Brian and appreciated his contributions. I always thought he was pretty highly regarded among the fanbase. This just seems like unnecessary drama...

I just want everyone to get along :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

1. Maybe many fans send him messages on IG or tweet him too much so he sees there is "a situation" involving his work. Joseph checking his DM and Twitter notification bar be like :clicktina_xtina_christina_aguilera_mouse_computer:

2. I know right, he is very respected for his work with Britney, he is mainly loved amoung most of the fanbase (lets ignore the 2011 drama) and he actually made a Q&A thread here on Exhale a few months ago, I honestly dont see why this is relevant now or whats the point of mentioning this after so long. :wtf_britney_what_confused_um:

Umm, I could write up the “treatment” for BOMT in word  and say it was my idea too, doesn’t mean it’s true. Lol. I don’t really see what that proves? It happened like 17 years ago why bring this up now?! Idk, it’s all just very weird. Seems like he’s been posting and talking a lot about Britney is the past year... when we hadn’t heard anything about him with Britney for years. 

Is he low-key saying she stole it? Like she said multiple times it was her idea and now he says it was his? 

He has been cashing on her lately cause let's be honest, she has been his peak. But I don't understand why he comes up with this 17 years later at one of her lowest, more powerless points. Why? Why didn't he say it 17 years ago? 

He's messy AF.

Who waits 17 YEARS to claim ownership of an idea? Where was his issue 17 YEARS ago when Britney and Joseph Khan told everyone who would listen that Toxic was her idea. 

If its true, good for him. Its a good video treatment. But Britney made it great and Joseph Khan made it greater.  

I just don't understand his (desperate) need to claim this as his during a time in Britney's life which is already messy but for more important reasons.

He comes across as believing he's better than what he actually is, and that's not pretty. From memory he was the same on XFactor UK; he had this arrogant entitled attitude when working with the contestants.  

• Love 4

Ba ha ha I love Joseph and he’s continuous stanning for Brit. 

And I’m not doubting Brian’s creativity but it seems odd that Brit and that guy would randomly lie about this? Esp when Brit has a great reputation in the industry for crediting people she works with. Also, why did he never take credit for it before? 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, nwonder said:

Ba ha ha I love Joseph and he’s continuous stanning for Brit. 

And I’m not doubting Brian’s creativity but it seems odd that Brit and that guy would randomly lie about this? Esp when Brit has a great reputation in the industry for crediting people she works with. Also, why did he never take credit for it before? 

It's also weird considering that Britney didn't take writing credits for things she did write/change.

Before Myah Jean of course...

I trust Joseph Kahn because he's always spilled it just how it is, like not being happy with Perfume.

Is it possible that Joseph might not be aware of Brian's involvement? Could it be something that was thought up before he came on to direct?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Bigno said:

Is he low-key saying she stole it? Like she said multiple times it was her idea and now he says it was his? 

He has been cashing on her lately cause let's be honest, she has been his peak. But I don't understand why he comes up with this 17 years later at one of her lowest, more powerless points. Why? Why didn't he say it 17 years ago? 

This is what makes this situation so sad for me. It's like Brian is saying that Britney is over, he's never expecting her to ever work again or need to hire him. He's burning bridges, taking what's left and moving on. Like vultures picking her bones while she's down. He's an ***. Nobody in the general public cares about choreographers. He's only of use to fans when he's generously sharing behind the scenes info, but fans do not want him to diminish our Queen publicly. He better learn his lesson real quick and kiss her ***.  

All of that aside, I simply do not believe him. Britney surely had SOME influence on the idea of the video. He's saying she only came up with the diamond scene and not a single speck of anything else? Unlikely. I agree with others that multiple people including Britney likely discussed what the concept of the video would be, and they assigned him the ***** work of writing it all down. Britney isn't going to sit on a computer and type out an assignment like that, please.

• Love 2
On 1/3/2021 at 7:42 AM, Codemysta90 said:

While working on the Britney album I was asked to creative direct and write the music video treatments for “I Love Rock & Roll” and “Overprotected Dark Child Remix” which were both directed by Chris Applebaum.

ATTENTION (LIAR EXPOSED): Britney stated specifically, during this era, during a videotaped interview I recently saw (just yesterday actually) on Youtube, that the video for Overprotected was all her idea:

Source: 

at 04:15 minutes. 

Why would he lie like that? Such narcissistic trash. 

---

Anyway, besides, having a choreographer as creative director of a music video is so delusional to even lie about; that's two different professions and they dont match up, if anything they work together just to make space for dance breaks, and discuss what's possible for the leading role to execute as a dancer, and that's it. 

Plus his written Toxic video concept is so off too. It's obvious that all that material can't be jammed into like 3 minutes and make sense. That should be crystal clear on this "blueprint", for everybody to acknowledge; it's not realizable. Plus the blueprint's writing style is super unprofessional, and clearly not an actual draft for the work of the greatest star in the world at that moment in time.  

Brian's statement here is worse than an actor taking credit for the work of a movie director/writer etc. This is direct lying. I'm appalled. Outmost ew. But glad I saw this today, and the video I've linked to, yesterday.   

• Love 3
  • Like 1

I haven't read his treatment of the video yet but I've read some of the replies here and I'm surprised how many fans complain about him still name dropping Britney as if it were an embarrassing thing to do, whaaaat? I'm a grown Britney fan and I could still bring her up at Christmas Eve if people weren't wise enough not to mention her or anything related to her, and that's exactly what we basically do, freely, here every day, so why can't he mention her every single day of his life if he wanted to, ESPECIALLY HAVING MET AND WORKED WITH HER! I would do the same. Stop acting "Instagram cool", and acknowledge another fan for once. Except if it's Billy B, who is absolutely nuts.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, MortalMarshmallow said:

Anyway, besides, having a choreographer as creative director of a music video is so delusional to even lie about; that's two different professions and they dont match up, if anything they work together just to make space for dance breaks, and discuss what's possible for the leading role to execute as a dancer, and that's it. 

Plus his written Toxic video concept is so off too. It's obvious that all that material can't be jammed into like 3 minutes and make sense. That should be crystal clear on this "blueprint", for everybody to acknowledge; it's not realizable. Plus the blueprint's writing style is super unprofessional, and clearly not an actual draft for the work of the greatest star in the world at that moment in time.  

Brian's statement here is worse than an actor taking credit for the work of a movie director/writer etc. This is direct lying. I'm appalled. Outmost ew. But glad I saw this today, and the video I've linked to, yesterday.   

How they don't even match up? A lot of choreographers work like creative directors for MV or performances or even a whole tour, see Parris Goebel was the creative director for Justin Bieber's Sorry, Sam Smith's How Do You Sleep MV and the Jlo's show for the superbowl. They definitely complement each other, so the choreographer's work is really multidimensional, cuz the whole video is going to be molded based on their ideas and how they want to represent the song.

2 hours ago, Oxic said:

How they don't even match up? A lot of choreographers work like creative directors for MV or performances or even a whole tour, see Parris Goebel was the creative director for Justin Bieber's Sorry, Sam Smith's How Do You Sleep MV and the Jlo's show for the superbowl. They definitely complement each other, so the choreographer's work is really multidimensional, cuz the whole video is going to be molded based on their ideas and how they want to represent the song.

I think it would make more sense if the video was heavily packed with choreo. But why go with a choreographer to write a whole treatment, only to later pitch it to the actual video director, who would re-write it all over? 

10 hours ago, Britney'sBish said:

Is it possible that Joseph might not be aware of Brian's involvement? Could it be something that was thought up before he came on to direct?

Thing is, Brian was there in the set of the video. He says he assumed Joseph knew he wrote the treatment. Isn't it weird that in the entire duration of the videoshoot he never said once that he was involved in it? Like "hey, for this part I was thinking about this or that" "I wrote this part with this in mind" 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Oxic said:

Well, maybe he WAS more involved than just choreography after all :clown_meme__makeup_green:

Still she talks more about live performances and never takes the opportunity to mention "oh and he wrote the video treatments for Overprotected and I Love Rock 'N' Roll" :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

• Like 1