Toxic almost didn't make the cut for In the Zone – Bloodshy & Avant interview (2009)

PlayboyMommy

After we wrote songs together with Britney in the studio, we said that we had another song in the drawer that was quite disturbing. They wanted to hear it, so we put it on and no one said anything. Then the whole gang disappeared into another room. After a while, they came back in and said that they wanted it, says Christian.

But it was uncertain for a long time if it would be included on In the Zone. They thought it was too weird. That it was absolutely not a single release they made that very clear to us, but it got into the album and when it was released, people started buying that particular song like crazy on iTunes, Pontus continues.

Haha, do you remember that Britney's A&R [Steve Lunt] called and said "I think we have a dark horse here"

https://groove.se/site/artikel.asp?artId=331

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:nynod_miss_new_york_ms_nodding_yes_yas_agree: Well, Toxic really was ahead of it's time when it comes to pop music. Hate or love it, it's still genius production; Breakbeat + Bhangra sample + relatively fast tempo + tons and tons of synth, sample and vocal layering + chromatic walkdown in the chorus . It's obscure and theatrical and that's why it's universally loved. Also the demo had real violin sample that was later reworked for the final song and IMO It sounds so much less interesting so I can see why they doubted  :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

This reminds me of the story Paula Abdul revealed in regards to one of her biggest hits. A demo was tossed in the trash and Paula fished it out! The song turned out to be “Straight up” which is wild! Folks didn’t think the song was any good and threw it away! 

Toxic is flawless and a Grammy win! 
Iconic video as well.

On 1/2/2021 at 10:16 PM, IconicShow said:

This reminds me of the story Paula Abdul revealed in regards to one of her biggest hits. A demo was tossed in the trash and Paula fished it out! The song turned out to be “Straight up” which is wild! Folks didn’t think the song was any good and threw it away! 

Toxic is flawless and a Grammy win! 
Iconic video as well.

It surprises me how the story behind many hits is almost similar as that one. I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor and Vogue by Madonna share a similar story. Both tracks were not even planned or even expected to be the monster hits they were.

That's why singers most be the executive producers of their musical works. Im sure Britney's taste in music (without a c-ship and record label approval) would have given us major artistry quality albums than what she's given us ever since. 

:badthoughts_gun_kris_genner_thinking_debating:  Whose bed have your boots been under teas. The labels aka old farts wanna play it safe but when an artist wants to embrace, explore works and generes and themes, it’s truly magical ala Touch of My Hand, entire BO, Glory tracks :groovin_dance_clap_alien_monster_party_costume_Halloween_spooky_scary:

To think the label had the monstrous hit with Toxic, but they were thinking it just wouldn't work. the walking dead smh GIF

My radio station played both Outrageous and the I Got That Boom Boom radio remix as the second singles until Toxic was released. The DJ actually said the label wasn't sure what song they wanted.

Everything B&A did with Britney around that time was so sick and diverse. Showdown, Hollow, Ouch, & Toxic are among her best. It makes sense why she wanted them to produce Original Doll- Mona Lisa was actually dark and haunting like they claimed Toxic was. Jive sucked. She was growing and experimenting so much and they left the bulk of it on the cutting room floor... Imagine shelving Toxic... imagine shelving any of B’s unreleased tracks

Archived