i relisted to the Britney Album and to me its interesting

The Exhale Psychic

this Album and whole Era is so fascinating. Britney was going into the adult, grown up direction but if you think about it, most of the Britney album still stays in the teen pop sound. i think partly this might have been because of the Crossroads soundtrack mess. my favorite song from Britney is let me be. it has this funky grove to it that you just wanna move too. also if you listen to the chorus of Cinderella her deep vocals are present. its honestly a treat.  Britney (album) - Wikipedia

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Britney is my second fav album and my absolute fav era! it's still teen pop but with an edgier vibe. I think Britney herself was really in between her teenage years and adulthood (as she explains in I'm Not A Girl), so the album has the best of both worlds. Of course the Crossroads soundtrack mess made it more teen pop, but songs like Bombastic Love or Cinderella are very bubblegum pop and they were not part of the movie, so i think the album was meant to be the way it is nevertheless.

One of my favorite albums. She is so confident and just commands respect! I love it! Her lyrics are powerful.

’Walk a mile in my shoes,

Do me right or Im through,

can’t you see that

if you wanna stick around

you got to figure me out

take the time or you loose 

this is my game my rules

i can see obviously baby you don’t know what it’s like to be me.’ 👻☠️☠️

It really is a transitional album but yea mostly is teen pop. The narrative was pushed that she's growing up and wanted a bit of a different sound, but when I listened to it, it basically was the same teen pop sound. Obviously Slave and Boys are the exception cause they were trying to go for a more grown up Britney.

But kind of funny the parents buying their kids this album and then hearing their kids sing along to Boys. The lyrics def more grown up lol

amazing pop album. Would be perfect minus not a girl and I love rock and roll. They got it wrong with those two. 

Interesting that you say that about Let me be because that's one of my favorites from the album and it's rarely talked about. This album was nominated for Best Pop Album at the 2003 grammy awards. Norah Jones won though. 

Also from that era which should have made the album officially (beware, they are kind of emo/dark vibe-ish) :

I run away 

tell me am i a sinner

when i say so 

It really was an amazing transition. First off, her body during that era was FIRE.... not anorexic looking but athletic and toned and she carried herself with a confidence that none of her peers could compete with.

I also think the album as a whole holds up way better than her first two. If you listen to Baby and Oops all the way through, they're almost comparable to Brendan Joe in that Work B was one of the only tracks of that album that people still care about. The Baby and Oops albums cemented her status as a bonafide pop star but aside from BOMT, Crazy, and OIDA, there's a lot of filler that sounds super outdated today (to the general public I mean, I can still listen to them and enjoy).

On the other hand, the Britney album is mostly bangerz with only a little bit of filler. Slave, Overprotected (original and remix), and Boys (original and remix) could be released today and still sound as current as ever. While the Oops album is like the Evermore to BOMT's Folklore in that they're kind of companions (with the latter two showing a little bit of growth), the Britney album was a HUGE departure and gave us a much more intimate look at the real Britney who was starting to take real control of her career :badgirl_britney_flirt_sexy_pom_piece_of_me_lips:

15 hours ago, popprison said:

amazing pop album. Would be perfect minus not a girl and I love rock and roll. They got it wrong with those two. 

Interesting that you say that about Let me be because that's one of my favorites from the album and it's rarely talked about. This album was nominated for Best Pop Album at the 2003 grammy awards. Norah Jones won though. 

Also from that era which should have made the album officially (beware, they are kind of emo/dark vibe-ish) :

I run away 

tell me am i a sinner

when i say so 

I love I Run Away. It's criminal that it wasn't included officially. The lyrics, the way she sings them, and the production really would have made the album more transitional. Imo the track needs mainstream exposure.

13 hours ago, britneyluv said:

I also think the album as a whole holds up way better than her first two. If you listen to Baby and Oops all the way through, they're almost comparable to Brendan Joe in that Work B was one of the only tracks of that album that people still care about. The Baby and Oops albums cemented her status as a bonafide pop star but aside from BOMT, Crazy, and OIDA, there's a lot of filler that sounds super outdated today (to the general public I mean, I can still listen to them and enjoy)

The disrespect :melt_weird_drift_wow:  Girl bye!!

5 minutes ago, jordeezy said:

The disrespect :melt_weird_drift_wow:  Girl bye!!

No disrespect meant at all!! I just mean that a lot of songs from her first two albums were very of that time to where unless that kind of sound comes back, which it definitely could, they don't sound like they could be released today and be popular. On the other hand, if Britney were released today, I still think it would sound current and relevant, that's all! :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

4 minutes ago, britneyluv said:

No disrespect meant at all!! I just mean that a lot of songs from her first two albums were very of that time to where unless that kind of sound comes back, which it definitely could, they don't sound like they could be released today and be popular. On the other hand, if Britney were released today, I still think it would sound current and relevant, that's all! :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

Good taste transcends trends.  :parisok_hilton_chewing_gum_pink_phone_Reading:

Yeah, it's her best album. My ranking goes kinda like this:

1. Overprotected

2. Lonely

3. What It's Like To Be Me

4. I Run Away

5. Cinderella

6. I'm A Slave 4 U

7. Before The Goodbye

8. I Love Rock 'n' Roll

9. That's Where You Take Me

10. Anticipating

11. When I Found You

12. Bombastic Love

13. Boys

14. I'm Not A Girl

15. Let Me Be

And the unreleased songs from that album are pure gold, still mad that they weren't even b-sides or exclusive bonus tracks. Hope that they will myb add them this year on a vynl or something for the 20th anniversary. This album isn't talked about enough! I love it!

4 hours ago, britneyluv said:

I disagree ... Other than Slave and maybe Boys the album is just as dated as BOMT and OIDIA, for the most part. Overall I think OIDIA is the better album, but Britney has some absolute bangers. 

...this is my least favorite album of her’s :hideous_um_zoom_hide_what_confused_scared: (yes I’m aware of the existence of Beatrice jingles) but that’s because of its constant identity crisis throughout the album, which culminates in Not A Girl, which is honestly kind of iconic

this album is a bit too hot and cold for me. On one side you have Britney experimenting with a new, mature, urban sound (Slave, Boys) on the other hand you have the soundtrack bubblegum tracks that sound similar-esque  to her previous material (Anticipating, Cinderella, Bombastic Love)

I’ll give Overprotected and What It’s Like to Be Me a break, sounding like a more mature Oops I Did It Again, the only downside being....it sounds like Oops I Did It Again. I often wonder if Britney got her way and her more mature Shock Your Mind album had been released and Crossroads had its own independent soundtrack. I think as a fan it would make it easier for me to appreciate the two works. I do think the Crossroads soundtrack would overshadow the album, as Jive feared, and the album would become a forgotten one, but time has shown that due to the radio ban here in the US, that’s been exactly the case with all the deep cuts from this album unlike Baby and Oops which remain nostalgic for the older GP fans.

When I say this album is one of my least favorites I mean that in the sense that it’s my least favorite listening experience. It’s her least cohesive album. Funnily enough, I think that’s the reason it is so iconic. This album, as strange as it is, is the perfect representation of what and who Britney Spears was in 2001/2002: She was a little bit ****, she was very bubblegum, she was moody, everything. This album is the definition of the typical 2000s pop girl, right as bubblegum pop started to fade away and became very hip-hop focused. For that reason exactly, it is the best transition between “Oops” and “In The Zone”, two completely different albums.

so while I can’t necessarily get into this album as a whole, I appreciate every individual track and can acknowledge it’s importance in her career and the pop music landscape. My personal opinion is that it is a musical rollercoaster and a bit of a mess. The fact is that it is a pop masterpiece.

Archived