Wham's Last Christmas finally reaches Number 1 and sets Official UK Chart record

GMFlop

Wham's Last Christmas finally reaches Number 1 and sets Official UK Chart record

Last Christmas was previously the UK's best-selling single to not reach Number 1.

wham-last-christmas.jpg?width=796&mode=s

Wham’s Last Christmas finally claims Number 1 on the Official Singles Chart 36 years after its release and breaks a new Official Chart record in the process, the Official Charts Company can confirm.

The festive favourite climbs from 3 to 1 after racking up 9.2 million streams over the past week, reaching the summit on the fourth anniversary of George Michael’s death.

Last Christmas sets a new record for the longest time taken for a single to reach Number 1, at 36 years, overtaking Tony Christie’s (Is This The Way To) Amarillo, which took 33 years and 4 months to claim the top spot (March, 2005).

Celebrating the news, Andrew Ridgeley paid tribute to his bandmate, the late George Michael:

Previously, Last Christmas was the UK’s best-selling single to never reach Number 1, accumulating 1.9 million pure sales to date across its lifetime. That title is now handed over to Maroon 5’s Moves Like Jagger ft. Christina Aguilera (1.55m pure sales), a Number 2 hit in 2011.

Released in 1984, Last Christmas spent five weeks at Number 2 that year, pipped to the Official Christmas Number 1 post by Band Aid’s Do They Know It’s Christmas?. It was re-released the following year and reached Number 6.

Since 2007, shortly after downloads were introduced to the Official Chart, Last Christmas has re-entered the Top 40 on a further 13 occasions, reaching Number 2 again in 2018.

It earns Wham! - comprising of George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley - a fifth UK Number 1 - their last was The Edge Of Heaven in 1986. View Wham's complete Official Chart history here.

Last Christmas is the second festive classic to finally claim chart glory in recent weeks, after Mariah Carey’s All I Want For Christmas Is You reached Number 1 in December, 26 years after its release.

lastchristmasto1-1.png

@Roxxy this thread is a worthy main page! 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, GMFlop said:

Last Christmas was previously the UK's best-selling single to not reach Number 1.

Wham’s Last Christmas finally claims Number 1 on the Official Singles Chart 36 years after its release and breaks a new Official Chart record in the process, the Official Charts Company can confirm.

The festive favourite climbs from 3 to 1 after racking up 9.2 million streams over the past week, reaching the summit on the fourth anniversary of George Michael’s death.

Last Christmas sets a new record for the longest time taken for a single to reach Number 1, at 36 years, overtaking Tony Christie’s (Is This The Way To) Amarillo, which took 33 years and 4 months to claim the top spot (March, 2005).

Celebrating the news, Andrew Ridgeley paid tribute to his bandmate, the late George Michael:

Previously, Last Christmas was the UK’s best-selling single to never reach Number 1, accumulating 1.9 million pure sales to date across its lifetime. That title is now handed over to Maroon 5’s Moves Like Jagger ft. Christina Aguilera (1.55m pure sales), a Number 2 hit in 2011.

Released in 1984, Last Christmas spent five weeks at Number 2 that year, pipped to the Official Christmas Number 1 post by Band Aid’s Do They Know It’s Christmas?. It was re-released the following year and reached Number 6.

Since 2007, shortly after downloads were introduced to the Official Chart, Last Christmas has re-entered the Top 40 on a further 13 occasions, reaching Number 2 again in 2018.

It earns Wham! - comprising of George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley - a fifth UK Number 1 - their last was The Edge Of Heaven in 1986. View Wham's complete Official Chart history here.

Last Christmas is the second festive classic to finally claim chart glory in recent weeks, after Mariah Carey’s All I Want For Christmas Is You reached Number 1 in December, 26 years after its release.

lastchristmasto1-1.png

Yo, I woke up at 4 am this morning and listen to Wham! And GM’s music for 4 hours before I fell asleep again! 

Growing up I tried to dislike George Michael because I was Michael Jackson fan but I have to say the last 10 years he’s probably been my favorite artist from the past. I love listening to his music while driving around, he’s a genius!

And I love seeing your posts on here. Always looking forward to see a topic by you. Also Jordan needs to add some GM emoticons! We need the GM *** shake one. ;)

source.gif

13 hours ago, GMFlop said:

lastchristmasto1-1.png

Yes, main page this! 

Archived