Jump to content

Was 'Blackout' too overproduced and one-dimensional?


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, mannequin19 said:

none of which she wrote herself or had any input in, unlike blackout. why should i be sad and piece of me are 10x more personal and provide greater insight into how she felt and who she is. they were writtend specifically for and about her and she picked them for a reason. oops is a cute album however if the songs were given to jessica simpson or whoever else, it would still be the same level of personal which is 0

I-

The fact you want to talk about writing credits yet you brought in two songs which Britney had 0 writing credits on. :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

Funny how much of this thread talks about how writers can write something in mind for the artist yet Oops!...I Did It Again appears to be an exception. :tired_so_there_head_tilt_annoyed_see_rose_mcgowan:

Link to post
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jordan lock this thread and throw it in the trash with 2020. How dare anyone question Blackouts amazingness. 

Chileee... can someone lock and delete this thread?? Blasphemy 

Blackout is flawless sonically and artistically. The discarded demos, some of which could have made the album, are perfectly fine in their obscurity, and only add to the mystery, lore, and brilliance 

At the end of the day, this is just comments going no where because most of the debating is subjective and mostly everything said just keeps getting repeated. :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle:

@mannequin19 @Deepheat01Deepheat01 @Justin Woodpond If each of you have nothing left to add to the debate, do you agree for us to just move on from the topic with our own opinions? ( @mannequin19 I'll respond to your next reply if you do leave one as I think we've reached a new conversation about the album and we can continue debating if you would like)

  • Haha 2
Link to post
6 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

I-

The fact you want to talk about writing credits yet you brought in two songs which Britney had 0 writing credits on. :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

Funny how much of this thread talks about how writers can write something in mind for the artist yet Oops!...I Did It Again appears to be an exception. :tired_so_there_head_tilt_annoyed_see_rose_mcgowan:

because the songs on oops dont really reference her personal life. lucky in retrospect does but at the time, no. the songs on blackout had clear and specific allusions to different events in her life

Link to post
17 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

I wasn't taking to you, though? I was debating with a completely different user who refused to accept the fact that Oops!...I Did It Again was more critically acclaimed and also called me "delusional". :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

Shadow! Why does everyone act like that song doesn't exist. :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

You directly quoted me, though?  Besides, as this is a public forum where generally the idea is groups of people share their opinion on topics openly without having to wait until they are directly spoken too?:cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek:

Shadow is great but literally any pop queen could sing it, I don't get the relevance here?  

11 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

At the end of the day, this is just comments going no where because most of the debating is subjective and mostly everything said just keeps getting repeated. :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle:

@mannequin19 @Deepheat01Deepheat01 @Justin Woodpond If each of you have nothing left to add to the debate, do you agree for us to just move on from the topic with our own opinions? ( @mannequin19 I'll respond to your next reply if you do leave one as I think we've reached a new conversation about the album and we can continue debating if you would like)

This is really weird.

  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
34 minutes ago, Deepheat01Deepheat01 said:

This is really weird.

Aren't you bored of the topic, though? I mean, I certainly got bored when multiple times I kept had to keep restating Oops!..I Did It Again was more critically acclaimed. :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

About the previous quote, because you brought up something I was discussing with another user, I thought you were talking about our interactions. Also Shadow was mentioned because it's a breakup ballad. :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

Link to post
1 hour ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

At the end of the day, this is just comments going no where because most of the debating is subjective and mostly everything said just keeps getting repeated. :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle:

@mannequin19 @Deepheat01Deepheat01 @Justin Woodpond If each of you have nothing left to add to the debate, do you agree for us to just move on from the topic with our own opinions? ( @mannequin19 I'll respond to your next reply if you do leave one as I think we've reached a new conversation about the album and we can continue debating if you would like)

Is this what you call a debate? You don’t even read or assimilate the info or facts presented to you.

You are more deluded than I thought. 

 

 

  • Love 2
Link to post
1 hour ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Aren't you bored of the topic, though? I mean, I certainly got bored when multiple times I kept had to keep restating Oops!..I Did It Again was more critically acclaimed. :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

About the previous quote, because you brought up something I was discussing with another user, I thought you were talking about our interactions. Also Shadow was mentioned because it's a breakup ballad. :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

What on Earth has the critical acclaim of Oops! got to do with the thread title or to do with how personal her albums are which is what myself and others have been trying to debate reasonably with you?  Critical acclaim does not = best/most personal by default, the legacy of a album belongs to the fans and their experience of it, not the paid journalists listening to their free copy reflected on Metacritic.  

Titanic is the biggest Oscar winning and most nominated film ever, that doesn't mean it's the best or the highest calibre of it's genre/medium.  It's still loved and revered by millions who connected to it, but if you ask most (normal) people what the film that changed their lives was then I doubt the tally of Oscars would correlate.

Preach Amy Poehler GIF by Sisters

  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Like 2
Link to post
2 minutes ago, Deepheat01Deepheat01 said:

What on Earth has the critical acclaim of Oops! got to do with the thread title or to do with how personal her albums are which is what myself and others have been trying to debate reasonably with you?  Critical acclaim does not = best/most personal by default, the legacy of a album belongs to the fans and their experience of it, not the paid journalists listening to their free copy reflected on Metacritic.  

 

I was talking about the critical acclaim not to prove it was personal, but when comparing critics reaction to the albums. :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

I agree with you here.

Link to post
1 hour ago, Justin Woodpond said:

Is this what you call a debate? You don’t even read or assimilate the info or facts presented to you.

You are more deluded than I thought. 

 

 

And I guess neither did you considering multiple times you refused to listen to the facts I presented. I will admit, there was a certain paragraph I skimmed and should have read more in-depth as I do agree with it.

You don't have to call someone "deluded" and tell them to "learn how to read" after you ignored what they were saying multiple times, so we have differing opinions and discussed them? I never insulted you so I don't see why you decide to insult me. :huh_britney_confused_what_2003_itz_zone_in_the:

Link to post

 

I think with Britney there's always contradiction when to make a new album, because part of her wants soulful songs but her brand is popish so it's safe for her record label go that way... it reminds me when they change directions for Femme Fatale, the original album was more life 4 by Beyonce and then it got scrapped when Teresa Labarbera Whites left for Beyonce and Dr. Luke came in... as for Blackout it's so cohesive and good the way it is but all the demos are amazing, I really love Kiss U All Over, Dramatic, Sugarfall, State Of Grace etc. I hope they get to release those songs in 2022 for the 15th anniversary of the album!

Link to post
2 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

And I guess neither did you considering multiple times you refused to listen to the facts I presented. I will admit, there was a certain paragraph I skimmed and should have read more in-depth as I do agree with it.

You don't have to call someone "deluded" and tell them to "learn how to read" after you ignored what they were saying multiple times, so we have differing opinions and discussed them? I never insulted you so I don't see why you decide to insult me. :huh_britney_confused_what_2003_itz_zone_in_the:

Correction: “learn to read without skimming” 

(You just admitted that part was true in your 1st paragraph) 

You ignoring “facts” about the general consensus set down by the entire English speaking music industry (including music critics) in the PRESENT moment is apparent. So, I guess you don’t appear deluded, just in denial and/or confused about the year.

Kindly make a new thread titled “why Opps is Britney’s best album”. Feel free to continue your crusade there.

I hope all is clear now.  Good day to you.

dead GIF

  • Love 1
Link to post
  • Exhale+
13 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Oops!...I Did It Again IS her own version of Ray of Light but it's masqueraded behind all the Rock 'N' Roll chord progressions, teen-pop lyrics and R&B-fusion, lies songs about vulnerability and mental health. :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

OIDIA is her own version of Ray of light?

:imdying_wendy_crying_sad_tears_sobbing:

Rock N Roll progressions? 

:imdying_wendy_crying_sad_tears_sobbing:

OIDIA isnt her ROL and aint any sensible stan gonna tell you that :imdying_wendy_crying_sad_tears_sobbing:

OIDIA is an amazing album but it literally rode on trends and its topics were self-love and heartbreak...TOPICS MAINLY CHOSEN BY ANY TEEN ARTIST IN THE TEEN-POP ERA :imdying_wendy_crying_sad_tears_sobbing: Ray Of Light wasnt riding on trends it CREATED trends for other albums to ride on. Something OIDIA couldn't but Blackout could

Have several seats sir :imdying_wendy_crying_sad_tears_sobbing:

  • Haha 1

“The one and only...Olive Oildrigo :yesplease_yas_agree_preach:

Link to post
  • Exhale+
13 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Girl, multiple people will explain to you how Britney was NEVER respected during her career by most critics, critics disliked Britney in 2000 too. She was disliked much more in 2007 but talking about that makes no sense. :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

Also, you'd think that now that it's cool to like Blackout and there are so many reviews parading it as her album that it would receive that score? :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

Hooked, critics might have not liked her in 2000 but OIDIA was a great album and they rated it as per its quality. Blackout was being thrashed left right and center by critics because they were including her personal life and she was the most hated star in the planet. 

Its score isnt higher now because metacritic has only featured the 2007 reviews and not the updated ones. Even rolling stones explained it :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

“The one and only...Olive Oildrigo :yesplease_yas_agree_preach:

Link to post
  • Exhale+
12 hours ago, Justin Woodpond said:

Correction: “learn to read without skimming” 

(You just admitted that part was true in your 1st paragraph) 

You ignoring “facts” about the general consensus set down by the entire English speaking music industry (including music critics) in the PRESENT moment is apparent. So, I guess you don’t appear deluded, just in denial and/or confused about the year.

Kindly make a new thread titled “why Opps is Britney’s best album”. Feel free to continue your crusade there.

I hope all is clear now.  Good day to you.

dead GIF

 

14 hours ago, Deepheat01Deepheat01 said:

What on Earth has the critical acclaim of Oops! got to do with the thread title or to do with how personal her albums are which is what myself and others have been trying to debate reasonably with you?  Critical acclaim does not = best/most personal by default, the legacy of a album belongs to the fans and their experience of it, not the paid journalists listening to their free copy reflected on Metacritic.  

Titanic is the biggest Oscar winning and most nominated film ever, that doesn't mean it's the best or the highest calibre of it's genre/medium.  It's still loved and revered by millions who connected to it, but if you ask most (normal) people what the film that changed their lives was then I doubt the tally of Oscars would correlate.

Preach Amy Poehler GIF by Sisters

Yall both snapped this whole argument :mimiclap_mariah_clapping_applause_proud_yes_Yas:

Ended Hooked argument :mimiclap_mariah_clapping_applause_proud_yes_Yas:

 

  • Haha 3

“The one and only...Olive Oildrigo :yesplease_yas_agree_preach:

Link to post
  • Exhale+

Also @Hooked-On-Knee Blackout qasnt 2006 music. The mid 00s scene was electro- RnB and Blackout was one of the only albums at the time that did avant disco. Blackout led the path for albums to thos date and was the first pioneer of dance-pop music :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

“The one and only...Olive Oildrigo :yesplease_yas_agree_preach:

Link to post
  • Exhale+

I love blackout and it is a bit overproduced but that’s part of it charm. It’s why I love it. The album is wild and erratic just like Britney was during the time of its release. It mirrors that 2007 moment perfectly. It’s a Slay for me.  :brityes_britney_yes_nodding:   :jabba_monster_gross_ew_disgusting_chew:

  • Love 1
  • Like 2

If you can't say I LOVE YOU, then say nothing at all...

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :badthoughts_gun_kris_genner_thinking_debating:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block